IKEA Detolf question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's tough to say. I was there for the opening rush and they still seem to have plenty left afterward.

I guess it will just depend on how steady the stream is from here. I'd sugguest calling again in an hr.

I'll give the IKEA folks this: they ate efficient. It was nuts with people and I got in line late, but was still in and out of there in 20 minutes.

Man, my store doesn't open util 10AM and I have to work at 9:30 and don't get off until 2:30PM so the earliest I'll be able to get there is 3 PM :(

So, is it for sure that only the white version is on sale today? Or will I be able to snag a black one? Kind of a deciding factor on making the 2 hour trip for me.

I just got back from the morning rush.
There was a line there already at 9:30!

Good thing I got there early because people were walking out with 4-5 at a time. So, I didn't really need my buddies. It did help to have them around while lifting these 800 lbs things. Damn.... no more gym for me today! :eek:

Glad I got these at such a great price....even if they're the white ones. :rolleyes:

Well, I got there too late. All colors were marked at $19.99 but sold out in 1 hour:( I got there an hour and a half after the store opened. Bummed out, man:monkey2

took a drive and only the white were on sale, as I expected. Sadly, they were sold out. Was told people were lined up at 8am. I ain't a get there two hours before the store opens and line-up kind of person.

There is a new Ikea that opened up a few months back here in Tampa and I still havent even been there. Ive been meaning to pick me up 1 of 2 of these shelves as well, but just never seem to remember to go. I dont have a huge collection so its not that big of a deal, but they do look nice.

well i didnt get one either. they sold out in about an hour and a half and i have a 2 and a half hour drive to get there. oh well craigslist here i come

I finally gave in and bought a detolf today, and I'm kicking myself for not buying this awesome display item sooner!

I know there were issues from the gaps in the glass (which might allow dust in), so I was searching around the house for some possible options to close the gap. Luckily, I found some old poster hangers that I bought from Walmart some time ago. I hated these poster hangers too, because I thought they sucked at what they were supposed to do. Nonetheless, I took a few pieces and attached them to the edge of the bare glass and voila! They made a great gap closer, as well as being quite aesthetic.

So I hope this helps some out there who are still looking for such an option for their detolfs! :yess:

(In the second pic, you can sort of see the attached poster hanger next to a bare section of glass, for comparison)

I actually ended up getting insulating foam strips called Closed Cell Tape from Home Depot and used it to cover all edges. Just had to get two different thicknesses to make it work. Foam is black, strangely the adhesive is silver but I can live with that. The seal seems pretty good so time will tell if this does the trick
p1000580m.jpg

p1000579k.jpg

Sorry damn tired so didn't realize how out of focus the pics where but you get the idea :p

BTW was cleaning up big time and rearranging so I dustproof not just my Detolfs but also my Besta shelves. I really hope I never have to dust again ;)

This is how I dust-proof my detlofs...

I wrapped plastic tubing that was cut down the middle around the edge of the glass door. It's large enough so that, when the door is closed, it creates a seal where there's a gap between the glass walls of the case and the door. And it's clear so you don't really see it.

It's completely cut down on dust entering the case, which was a problem before. This was the first case I did and the tubing was cut a little jagged, which is easily remedied.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Sean

Very innovative ideas here.

But is dust really that bad? Are the gaps so big that your figures get dusty fast?

I was going to get two detolfs and leave the two sides facing each other open so I could put SS Jabba across the two cases...but then I suppose dust would really be an issue.

If anyone has two cases together, how big is the gap between shelves?

Very innovative ideas here.

But is dust really that bad? Are the gaps so big that your figures get dusty fast?

I was going to get two detolfs and leave the two sides facing each other open so I could put SS Jabba across the two cases...but then I suppose dust would really be an issue.

If anyone has two cases together, how big is the gap between shelves?

I live in Southern CA and yes, the air here is fairly dusty (plus when you vacuum, for example, dust can and does get stirred up, no matter where you live). The gaps in the Detlof door are enough that over time dust does build up. If you want to keep it dust free, my solution is pretty much invisible, won't break down (like foam insulation will) and is inexpensive.

Sean

I live in Southern CA and yes, the air here is fairly dusty (plus when you vacuum, for example, dust can and does get stirred up, no matter where you live). The gaps in the Detlof door are enough that over time dust does build up. If you want to keep it dust free, my solution is pretty much invisible, won't break down (like foam insulation will) and is inexpensive.

Sean

I do live in CA, so that's good advice. Thanks.

I do live in CA, so that's good advice. Thanks.

In the end these are the most affordable display cases available and do protect your figures quite well, even with the small gap in the door. Though searching Craigslist you can usually find plenty of store display cases, many of which are larger and not much more expensive.

Sean

Back