Attention Chris Howes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Studio49

Super Freak
Reaction score
Your PM box is full. Your email account is bouncing back emails as undeliverable. You have not posted any recent updates in any of your commission threads.

You have an obligation to either...

1. Fix your email account, or set up a free email account at hotmail, or gmail so people can email you AND have you respond to their questions/concerns.

2. Post an updated list of ESTIMATED completion dates for the outstanding projects you have taken money for and post the most recent photos of progress made on those sculpts.

You don't have the luxury of staying out of contact when you hold people's money for commissions. And before any apologists start hammering this thread with nuggets like "be patient" and "this is what you signed up for when dealing with customizers," please be aware that I DO NOT want a refund for the items I paid for, and I am willing to wait another six months to a year if need be for my items. This is not about that. A customizer can post periodic updates about the status of projects and ignore emails, or they can answer emails and refuse to post updates. They cannot BOTH ignore emails and refuse to post updates.

Chris, you also promised photographs of swords that you had worked on for the Maximus project over a month ago. You said you would post them several times and never did. You finally posted a picture of the half finished armor for this project, but I don't think people were aware that the photo you posted had already been on your site for at least a couple of weeks. I knew about it, and was going to post a link to it, but I didn't because I thought you were going to proudly show off your work. You only posted the photo when people were foaming at the mouth for updates. I think you need to make good on your promises. Nobody made you promise those things, you volunteered them yourself. It looks horribly suspicious when you volunteer to post photos of your progress, and then post old pictures instead.

Once the communication is re-opened, I think people will relax and let you do your thing. I hope that happens anyway, because I really want to see you succeed. The current situation is not the way to succeed, and you know it.

Last edited:
This is exactly the thing that brought down Andgor Toys. They accepted orders and money faster than they could get the work completed. A few people got tired of waiting and ask for refunds. When the refunds weren't paid right away a ****storm of negative backlash created a situation they could never recover from. The same thing will happen here if Chris isn't forthcoming soon with either product or refunds or a realistic expectation of when things will be delivered. I have hired artist to do a few projects for me and it is trying in the best of circumstances. I wont join group commissions, and I only buy custom product after I hear of other people getting their stuff. Hopefully he can work everything out.

This is getting tough. Seeing his heads on ebay is disappointing. Sure, he hasn't sold one yet but had he, would that purchaser recieve the head before his customers who got the ball rolling from the start on this forum? Ebay and paypal (with in 30 days) have a lot tighter of a leash when it comes to sales vs our situation here, so one would think the answer would be yes. And that sucks. At this point I don't think Chris has sent out my unpainted heads.

Hopefully he'll respond soon... waiting for an update on the Aliens 'Gorman' heads too. Seven months with no news is not the right way to treat people... some have been waiting longer. Unfortunately I feel he's fast looking like a thief.

His profile says that his last activity on this board was on May 27th. That is two weeks ago! I don't know if that represents the last time he posted, or the last time he logged in.

I do not want to pull out of the two projects I have already paid him for. But how long are we supposed to sit here with no communication before we start to recoup a loss? Every thread with his name on it is starting to look identical...people are having trouble contacting him and have been promised things that never happened.

I emailed him again earlier this evening and it hasn't bounced back yet. I asked that he contact me. I am not going to make a deadline or anything, but I figure I will know that it's time to pursue other options when my brain has finally had enough waiting with no word.

2 weeks, he could be on holidays? he is allowed them isn't he?

never !. :mad::lol

No seriously though. Since Chris took on alot of stuff from the begging alot of people began having a small negative feeling ordering anything from him to be made because they knew the wait was so long but because his work was so awesome they did it anyway.
Everything I ordered from Chris and have paid for so far , I knew I would be waiting a while. I still don't have a problem with waiting.

The one thing that I think ( as others have said ) would be better would be a few more updates now and then.
I've paid for so far from Chris for a Jack Torrence Head from the shining , the lost boys david head and a Denzel Washington head. I know others have paid towards these projects too.

The lost boys david thread was updated to the point I think the sculpt was either nearly finished or finished. It looked awesome anyway.
I'm still not sure whats happening with this one since it was months ago but I don't think anything has been sent out to anyone. :confused:

It seems theres a little confusion in the Summer Glau terminator thread too and I know that sculpt was looking quite good too so there are a few sculpts either finished or quite close to being finished.

I love Chris's work but like others have said a few more updates would stop some worries on here and make the whole thing alot more positive. :)
I don't have Chris's direct email but ( unless someone already has ) maybe someone should send him a link to this thread.

I'm sure Chris is working away at these sculpts and trying his best to get them done , hes been in this game a long time and I doubt he would try anything now so for those worrying about him being a theif I really think its waaaaay to early for that. If anything hes simply taken a little too much work on but thats not hard to belive because there was a lot probably requested.
The only thing were going to achieve calling Chris a theif and things like that is making this place harder to visit for him. I wouldn't want to visit here if people said things like that.
He could simply have computer problems too.
Yes this isn't an ideal situation so lets discuss and hopefully tell Chris what we think could be done better once he returns.
Lets make the point of this thread positive and hopefully a solution towards the problem. I can see this thread going negative fast unless someone says this now.

Hope all is well Chris.

Last edited:
The only thing were going to achieve calling Chris a theif and things like that is making this place harder to visit for him. I wouldn't want to visit here if people said things like that.

Agreed . . . . but for those people waiting on just a reply, for example a simple acknowledgement they exist on his books, having parted with their money in good faith, you can understand why they might accuse him of being a thief !

If its been 2 weeks then Id expect a reply in the next 2, if a month goes by without any reply . . . personally Id be looking for some way to get my money back . . .

Id never have used Chris a couple of months back for a commision, I like his work dont get me wrong but Im already looking at 12 months on here with a UK painter so Ive been down this road, were Chris is concerned unless theres a finished sculpt I wouldnt want to part with my money. 2 - 3 months ago there was a C.Howes commision thread for about 4 - 5 sculpts in this forum, far too many projects at once imho

I hope you do get a reply in the next 2 weeks, Id like a battle damaged Glau myself from him

But I aint parting with my money till I see a picture of the finished sculpt. Or a firm date or refund offered if its not been started so I know when its gonna be finished

Ive seen too many threads on commisions with Sculptors and painters dissapearing for weeks and months at a time on these boards, pointing fingers is only natural, the finger pointers dont make it hard for Chris to come back on here . . Chris does by leaving his customers in the dark for weeks at a time

Last edited:
Agreed . . . . but for those people waiting on just a reply, a simple acknowledgement they exist on his books for example, having parted with their money in good faith, you can understand why they might accuse him of being a thief !

If its been 2 weeks then Id expect a reply in the next 2, if a month goes by without any reply . . . personally Id be looking for some way to get my money back . . .

yep , your completely right. I think this might be a computer problem myself though.

Chris sculpted figures from the first Jurassic park movie didn't he ?.
Hes been sculpting painting and shipping for a looong time and I seriously doubt he would want to loose respect over a few 1/6 head sculpt orders. I just personally think its a little to early to be calling him a thief.
Understandably if he isn't available people should try there best to get there money back when they see fit but I think we should wait at least another week or two to see if he gets back.

You know ... ever since I joined this board and ordered off the different customizers they seemed to start getting alot of problems in their personal life. I hope I'm not a curse. :horror

Hopefully he'll respond soon... waiting for an update on the Aliens 'Gorman' heads too. Seven months with no news is not the right way to treat people... some have been waiting longer. Unfortunately I feel he's fast looking like a thief.

I wouldn't have thought that kind of language would achieve anything - but then I haven't commissioned anything from him. People who are waiting on stuff from him should make it easy for him to come back here and give everyone an update - he may be facing real-world hassles, he may be embarrassed or ashamed, he may be depressed because he's taken on too much and doesn't know where to start. Yes, he ought to come here and talk, but I hope people can listen without anger - my partner is an artist, and they're not always the best organised people in the world!

An update would do wonders to make people feel more at ease. I would hesitate to use the word thief, however, there are signs for concern. When all goes quiet, it usually is a bad sign. I hope the ship is set right and everybody gets everything.

I really doubt that Chris isnt an honest guy. Computer problems are hopefully the answer. We shouldnt be concerned about our orders but about whats going on there. As long as there are no personal reasons you can be sure that Chris will come back and make everyone happy. :peace

I think in general people tend to get upset when they pay for something and don't get it.

Be it products or service.

I personally would not pay for a job on my house, lawn, etc. unless the work is performed.

I would not pay for food, a tv or a statue without it transferring hands or it being ready to ship.

It would appear this is growing issue in the commissions area.

You pay expecting the product or re-paint to be done. Those expectations last months (sometimes years) and people rightfully get upset.

Personally I think the artists need to change policy. The repaint is ready to ship, payment due in X days. The head sculpt is ready to ship, payment due in X days.

Require a small deposit if you must, but taking all the money up front, then making the customer wait time on end... cause you took on soooooo many jobs, is really not fair. This practice would not work in normal business, why is it done in this one ?

I think in general people tend to get upset when they pay for something and don't get it.

Be it products or service.

I personally would not pay for a job on my house, lawn, etc. unless the work is performed.

I would not pay for food, a tv or a statue without it transferring hands or it being ready to ship.

It would appear this is growing issue in the commissions area.

You pay expecting the product or re-paint to be done. Those expectations last months (sometimes years) and people rightfully get upset.

Personally I think the artists need to change policy. The repaint is ready to ship, payment due in X days. The head sculpt is ready to ship, payment due in X days.

Require a small deposit if you must, but taking all the money up front, then making the customer wait time on end... cause you took on soooooo many jobs, is really not fair. This practice would not work in normal business, why is it done in this one ?

I would think its because usually the artists aren't financially always able to fund the porject unless payment is given. Maybe even half the payment isn't enough sometimes.
I agree though , I'm more skeptical now to pay up front unless its someone I completely trust.

Having signed up and payed for the Summer Glau heads in October after seeing a nearly completed bald head, I'm disappointed that the project is still not finished. I'm still intersted in other projects but I'm going to wait until they are finished.

I wonder how this will impact new projects in the future if more people don't invest to get a project off the ground.

I e-mailed this man with a VERY pleasant message 3 MONTHS ago and continued with messages having no response. There is NO excuse so please stop the assumptions (vacation, computer problems, etc)

When I a) asked how to send payment I had tons of replies and b) paid him I also recieved another reply. Now nothing. That was 3 months ago, I don't care anymore but since this thread was created I figured why not share.

So what now? Have we "scarred away" another talented artist? Who the ^^^^ cares is my answer. Learn how to conduct professional business before you set out to "Grace us all" with your work.

Some may continue kissing an artists ass to get something they want for their shelves ............. I say ^^^^ that, this is the real world and in this real world we communicate. Besides I have a company called Hot Toys to go to for cool pieces.

Look at Josh or Les for example, they fall behind but at least they communicate with their clientele, to keep them posted. Whats so hard about that?

I e-mailed this man with a VERY pleasant message 3 MONTHS ago and continued with messages having no response. There is NO excuse so please stop the assumptions (vacation, computer problems, etc)

When I a) asked how to send payment I had tons of replies and b) paid him I also recieved another reply. Now nothing. That was 3 months ago, I don't care anymore but since this thread was created I figured why not share.

So what now? Have we "scarred away" another talented artist? Who the ^^^^ cares is my answer. Learn how to conduct professional business before you set out to "Grace us all" with your work.

Some may continue kissing an artists ass to get something they want for their shelves ............. I say ^^^^ that, this is the real world and in this real world we communicate. Besides I have a company called Hot Toys to go to for cool pieces.

Look at Josh or Les for example, they fall behind but at least they communicate with their clientele, to keep them posted. Whats so hard about that?

We do definetely need some way of sorting this out and getting a time frame of each project that Chris took on.
Hopefullly he will read this thread and post something.
I don't know if Chris had sold on forums before. He may not have known how often we recieve updates off of most of the artists here. I know people who have sorted out private commisions with artists and not had any communication for 6 months +. The main problem here is the fact that emails aren't being responded too.

This is very easy to resolve though. Regardless of how long Chris needs to finish these as long as he posts letting us know whats what I think all would be fine.

I am not implying that Chris is a thief. That is the perception people will have, and a reputation that is next to impossible to erase. He really ought to address this before it gets out of hand. As soon as one or two people jump on here and complain about not getting a refund, he will be going down a slippery slope that he may never recover from. From what I have been told by some of the parties involved, Andgor made every attempt to make things right by everyone who dealt with them. That name is still mud in this hobby and probably always will be. Which is a shame because there were many great sculpts that are now unavailable. The only "winner" in that whole mess was diver4 who is still making money off recasting a lot of the Andgor sculpts. Freelance artist often take on more than they can reasonably do. I have met a few of them, and most will admit that thier business skills are somewhat lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back