Phantom of the Opera Custom (Musical Version) WIP

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShanLan

Freaked Out
Reaction score
PHANTOM FIGURE COMPLETE! see final pics HERE; https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119776

Hullo everybody!

Here's my latest project in progress;

It's an Erik from the musical version of Phantom of the Opera, not quite done the head yet, the wig needs some fine details done, and I'm going to apply his "real" hair to the bald scalp this weekend...

I used Ramin Karimloo's Phantom as reference, I know that somebody is eventually going to say "You should have used Michael Crawford or Colm Wilkinson or this guy or that guy" but I watched the 25th Anniversary DVD of the London stage performance,and Mr Karimloo's performance was so awesome that it revived the fondness of Phantom of the Opera that I had when I was younger....Not to mention that it's my time,and my action figure display,so I'll do what I want!

The head was originally a Hot Toys head, but I've shaved, sculpted and transformed every bit of it beyond recognition, there's really next to nothing left of the features from the original (maybe the left nostril? One of the lower eyelids? ) so I suppose you could say that this is the first head I've done that is essentially mine...One day maybe I will be brave enough to start from scratch, but I don't quite trust myself with proportions yet...

This figure will have the ability to be masked and unmasked, because I figure that if you're gonna make a Phantom figure, you shouldn't cop out and just do the "handsome" head with the half-mask. Come on! The whole point is that he's HIDEOUS! So in my figure, he's got the "ugly" head, and then a wig and mask that attach over it by tiny magnets buried inside the sculpt and accessories.

The wig is sculpted in 2 pieces and fit neatly together on his head. The mask attaches by a magnet that's in the forehead.

The body is going to be a TT narrow shoulder....I'm working on his tuxedo right now, just waiting for the proper fabric to arrive....I think this is gonna be awesome when I'm done, possibly my best yet, I can't wait!
Wish me luck! Thanks for looking!

phantomoperacustomfigurewip005.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigurewip016.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigurewip026.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigurewip030.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigurewip039.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigurewip033.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigurewip036.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigurewip037.jpg

Alright! So close to finishing this figure! Tux is completely done, the cloak is all sewn and bedazzled, too, just waiting for his custom fedora to come in the mail before I take pics of this all put together....I think this will be cool when it's done, I'm quite proud of this one Might turn out to be my best project yet!

phantomoperacustomfigureooak013.jpg

phantomoperacustomfigureooak023.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, but you really should have done Michael Crawford :lol

He is the Weber Phantom. Period. Nobody else even comes close to singing as well as him IMO.

It does look great though :rock

Looks really good man! What a cool subject! Can't wait to see the final product.

Looks great, but you really should have done Michael Crawford :lol

He is the Weber Phantom. Period. Nobody else even comes close to singing as well as him IMO.

No way, man. Davis Gaines is the definitive Phantom.

Here's some further progress, I've started on the suit; (reference pic on the right),
Just about done the tailcoat, I've still got to iron the lapels so they lay flat and sit properly, as well as
puttingon the buttons
Next up is the shirt, I've got to add the pleats and sew a collar and bowtie.
Then, of course, the waistcoat......and opera cloak....

phantomtuxwip_zps86cec32f.jpg

this is outstanding!!! what a great figure to add to a collection, priceless!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys! :)
New pics with the wig on over the "real" hair with mask, everything fits together quite nicely!
Also, a bit of a sneak peek of his finished cloak, all bedazzled :D
Just waiting for the hat to arrive, also working on a nice background set-up for the completed figure pics....

customactionfigurew027.jpg

customactionfigurew049.jpg

customactionfigurew057.jpg

customactionfigurew059.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Awesome work! Particularly impressed with how the wig and mask fit so well on the damaged face.

Did you make the outfit as well?

Awesome work! Particularly impressed with how the wig and mask fit so well on the damaged face.

Did you make the outfit as well?

Thanks, glad you like! :)

The tailcoat, shoes and pants were from a Sideshow Lugosi Dracula, (lucky for me, Musical Phantom and Dracula apparently go to the same tailor) but I had to do some heavy work to the tailcoat; it's been completely taken apart and resewn with new lapel lining, with cuffs and collar added in velvet, and some seams reworked.

The pants and shoes were perfect the way they were, thank goodness :) Less work for me! But the vest/shirt couldn't be used...

I used a plain white shirt and made it into a tuxedo shirt by sewing a new collar, adding a bowtie and pleats...oh, and switched cufflinks...

The vest is all handmade by me :) Same with the cloak.

Back