Maglor’s Menagerie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglor

Super Freak
Reaction score
NOTICE:

Collection updated on page 67, starting with this post:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3229812#post3229812

Hello all! Thanks for stopping by! :wave

I have debated for a while as to whether I wanted to start a "Show Your Shelves" thread or an 'Art' thread. I have a pretty small 1/6 collection compared to many here (less than 40) and my photography skills aren't great. But I love my collection and I love taking pictures of it!

Ultimately, I decided it was more about showing off the toys than the photography. That's why I take the pictures - because I love the subjects! It seems to make more sense to start a show your shelves thread. However it will serve as an all-purpose thread for my toys and toy photography. I hope you enjoy it. :)

First, here's a little about my collecting history:

I have loved action figures all my life. When I was a kid my “people” as I called them, were always my favorite toys! I played with them everywhere, including the bathtub and in the dirt around the tree in the front yard. Even at that age I was fascinated by the look of the figures and would set them up in cool poses. I also liked to throw them in the air and see what position they would land in when they fell! :D

As I got into my teens I started really looking for realism in action figures and I started collecting a lot of McFarlane stuff. Never got heavily into Spawn but was a member of the McFarlane mailing list and some of my favorite figures are McFarlane club exclusives.

I can’t pin a date on it, but somewhere around 10-12 years ago I discovered 1/6 scale figures. My first such figure was Nosferatu. I saw him on display at a local movie theater. It is an “art house,” and they play the 1922 silent Nosferatu (often with live music) every October. I thought the figure looked so cool in its purple coat!

I found him later by chance at a local horror themed collectibles shop (which has since gone out of business). I found the original receipt for that figure the other day... I paid $25 for him! At the time that seemed like so much money, because I had never spent that much on a figure before! I don’t think I’ve paid that little since! :eek:

At first, I still liked the smaller figures that were all molded, because to my eye at the time molding could capture the scale of clothing better then actual cloth. And for a while my ratio of small molded figures to 1/6 scale figures was about 30:1. I got really big into Lord of the Rings figures, and to a smaller extent DC stuff.

However, my preference changed as I got better at futzing my 1/6 scale figure’s poses and clothes into perfection!!!

Now I almost never buy any of the small plastic variety of action figures. In fact, I have a huge plastic trunk filled with these guys in Ziploc baggies! Not sure what to do with them now. :lol

For the most part my figure buying had slowed down to almost a halt until I saw the announcement of the new DX Joker from Hot Toys! I had to order it!!! When I received it, I loved it so much that my hobby was re-energized! Unfortunately, Hot Toys has spoiled me a little and I am in danger of a very expensive addiction!

And recently, I've started dabbling in customs! :panic: But more on that later...

Now lets get down to business. My display changes pretty frequently, but here it is as it appears currently...

Last edited:
Re: Maglor's Thread

The Detolf

P1090587.jpg

Sideshow's Boromir and Faramir sons of Denethor. Rohan Royal Guard helm. Numenorean shield.

P1090559.jpg

Sideshow Legolas, and Toy Biz's Gimli and Arwen. The Noble Collection's Sting letter opener.

P1090557.jpg

Sideshow's Jen and Kira from The Dark Crystal.

P1090560.jpg

The Doctor and Nurse from The Twilight Zone's The Eye of the Beholder, Nosferatu, and for fun, "Mother" from The Wall.

P1090561.jpg

Up on top:

The six volume Millennium Edition of The Lord of the Rings. The Noble Collection's Phial of Galadriel. "The Lord of the Nazgul" from Rawcliffe Pewter. Toy Biz's Minas Tirith Citadel Guard, repainted by me. Gollum from the Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set of The Two Towers.

P1090597.jpg

To the left of the Detolf.

Sideshow's Frodo and Sam (modified to look appropriately slim/rotund).

P1090563.jpg

To the right.

Top row - Batman Black and White Statues, left to right: Brian Bolland, Steve Rude, Jim Lee.
Bottom row - Kenner's Batman the Animated Series Mr. Freeze, Harley Quinn (with little Harley from the Warner Brothers Store), Killer Croc.
P1090601.jpg

Open Black Shelves.

First up, the Universal Horror Shelves.

Sideshow's Bride and Monster from The Bride of Frankenstein

P1090564.jpg

Sideshow's Silver Screen Edition Phantom, and Red Death Version from Phantom of the Opera (1925).

P1090565.jpg

Hot Toy's Marcus Wright (both versions). Sideshow's ROTLA Indiana Jones and Last Crusade Henry Jones.

P1090596.jpg

Sideshow's Black Knight, King Arthur and Dead Collector from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

P1090568.jpg

*Posters/poster frames in the above pics are made by Cocoboloboy.

Hot Toy's Jokers (left to right) Cop Joker, Bank Robber Joker, V1 Joker with BR Joker head sculpt, Nurse Joker kit bash.

P1090572.jpg

More Jokers (left to right): Medicom, Mattel, DC Direct.

P1090569.jpg

And just below that last shelf is this little shelf with Batman and Rouges.

P1090592.jpg

If anyone can tell me what different series these are all from, I would be grateful. :pray: I've collapsed and stored all the packaging. :eek:

The Bookcase

Hot Toys' Batman DX02, and Joker DX01.

P1090570.jpg

Toy Biz's Frodo, Sam, and Shelob.

P1090602.jpg

Batman Returns Shelf. Applause Penguin, Kenner Catwoman, and I'm not sure who made this Batman, but it's repainted by me.

P1090581.jpg

My wife's only shelf. In the middle is "Betrayal" from The Monsters In My Tummy, by Roman Dirge. The rest are from The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy by Tim Burton (left to right): The Pin Cushion Queen, Staring Girl, Brie Boy, Stain Boy, The Girl With Many Eyes, and Robot Boy.

P1090603.jpg

And up on top (left to right): Takara Batman Begins, (behind him barely visible) Serenity ornament, 18" Todd McFarlane Edward Scissorhands, Classic Joker Mini-bust by Tim Bruckner, Entertainment Earth Comic-Con San Diego 2010 Exclusive Man in Black and Jacob, Medicom's Mad Hatter.

P1090578.jpg

Three Walls

P1090599.jpg

P1090607.jpg

P1090604-1.jpg

A closer look at those Batman the Animated Series toys.

P1090573.jpg

And last, but not least, above the door on the way out: Labyrinth Jareth and Hoggle by Neca.

P1090595.jpg

This is not anywhere near a comprehensive look at my collection, but it is my current display. The rest of my collection is either small 7" figures in a trunk, Incomplete 1/6 customs, or figures "in transit."

Stay tuned for updates! :panic:

P1090592.jpg

If anyone can tell me what different series these are all from, I would be grateful. :pray: I've collapsed and stored all the packaging. :eek:

Two-Face and Mad Hatter are from DC Direct's Long Halloween line, and Harley Quin looks to be from DC Direct's Hush line.

Awesome collection man! I'm envious. Classy setup.

And someone else with Boromir! :hi5:

Two-Face and Mad Hatter are from DC Direct's Long Halloween line, and Harley Quin looks to be from DC Direct's Hush line.

Awesome collection man! I'm envious. Classy setup.

And someone else with Boromir! :hi5:

Thank you and thank you! :rock

I love that Boromir figure! :hi5:

your pictures are so awesome...thanks so much for the pic's.

Regards,

Echo 7

nice collection dude

Thanks guys. :)

Love your collection man. Absolutely impressive. I love it when I see a fellow collector take the time to find amazing poses for the figure. It's like each one has a story. Very very impressive man.:clap

Great collection! Really cool.
Batman and Joker are from Alex Ross's Justice line.

Way too many words for a collection thread :monkey4

Nice collection though. Great displays.

Great display man, I like the variety of items in your collection. I also like the following shelf:

P1090601.jpg

Back