InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mojo, not to derail and not sure if you’ve done any VR before this, but it is a little bit different from other motion sickness in my experience (as someone who is very sensitive to that across the board, including VR when I first got started) in that you can train it out and develop ‘VR legs’ so to speak. By starting in short sessions and gradually increasing, starting out with simpler games that don’t use a lot of ‘free movement’, and experimenting with the comfort settings (many games have options like adding a vignette or snap turning to assist with the transition to VR play).

The second you start to feel even the slightest bit of discomfort, don’t push past it at all, take the headset off, and see if you can go an extra 10-25 minutes in the headset the next time.

Having a fan blowing on you in the room for both comfort and spatial orientation in the room also helps.

I can’t play everything as long as I’d like, and unfortunately likely couldn’t handle a Spider-Man swinging game if Sony ever made one, but in a few weeks of small sessions it was a night and day difference from when I started. I play GT7 with a wheel (awesome experience of you’re into racing), and can usually enjoy a few races before I feel off (about how long I’d want to spend locked off from the world anyway), assuming I don’t spin out and go careening into a barrier lol. AR/VR tech has always been a fascination of mine though, so whether that kind of effort is worth it is a more individual question, obviously, but wanted to share in case this is your first foray! Anyway, good luck with that, or with getting a refund if it’s a complete wash!
Thanks for the advice, mate.

Yeah, first time with VR of any kind. I bought Tales From The Galaxy's Edge, and I've been having a great time using the teleport style controls over the weekend. Tried the regular controls yesterday for the first time for about 20 minutes, and my god it was rough. Sweating, headache and sick feeling in the stomach. That last symptom lasted for 5 or 6 hours afterwards as well. I knew there would be some sort of adjustment period, but had no idea it would be such a strong reaction. I've never had any motion or travel sickness before, so I have a new found sympathy for those that suffer from it.

I mainly bought it to play the RE4 remake in VR, because I adore that game. Hopefully with your tips I can build up to being able to play it!

I'm thinking about taking a more surgical approach to fixing my Gandalf hands. I'm going to try to remove the glue holding the magnets in place. I've read that 99% isopropyl alcohol will remove super glue without harming the plastic, so that's my first stop. Only problem is I'm not sure what kind of glue InArt used. Does anyone else have other suggestions to dissolve the glue?

I'm assuming the glue isn't too tough, since the magnet on one of the hands has already fallen out.

I'm thinking about taking a more surgical approach to fixing my Gandalf hands. I'm going to try to remove the glue holding the magnets in place. I've read that 99% isopropyl alcohol will remove super glue without harming the plastic, so that's my first stop. Only problem is I'm not sure what kind of glue InArt used. Does anyone else have other suggestions to dissolve the glue?

I'm assuming the glue isn't too tough, since the magnet on one of the hands has already fallen out.
Just make sure no drops of the isopropyl get on the painted part of the hands or you can kiss that paint goodbye.

Would heating the hands up in a cup of boiled water until they are supple and pulling the magnets out with a pair of tweezers not be the least precarious method?

Would heating the hands up in a cup of boiled water until they are supple and pulling the magnets out with a pair of tweezers not be the least precarious method?

Thanks, this is a good tip. I was able to remove one of the magnets once I was able to heat up the hand. It fits much more snugly now, but it's not quite as secure as the hands with the magnet, so I can definitely see why they added the magnets. But it would still make more sense to have the more standard "mushroom tip" pegs.

So what actually needs to be done to correct the error? Is the port for the magnet just not deep enough? It'd be a nightmare trying to dremel that withought destroying the whole thing.

So what actually needs to be done to correct the error? Is the port for the magnet just not deep enough? It'd be a nightmare trying to dremel that withought destroying the whole thing.

My theory is that there's too much glue in the hand socket, so it doesn't have enough 'clearance' to hold securely. Something like, the hand peg length is 2cm, the magnet thickness is 1cm, so they modeled the hand socket to have a depth of 3cm, but applying a 'drop' of glue is very imprecise, so the tolerance is out of whack.

Back