Shōgun ( FX 2024 Miniseries / James Clavell )

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I missed Crimson Sky.

I don't know what I was expecting. Truth is, a big fight would get boring quickly, most likely. But they kept saying Crimson Sky was like the Apocalypse so I was getting ready for more canon fodder.

I don't know what I was expecting. Truth is, a big fight would get boring quickly, most likely. But they kept saying Crimson Sky was like the Apocalypse so I was getting ready for more canon fodder.
Crimson Sky is indeed a huge thing.
Begins with many steps, sacrifices from the pawns, and then the letter.. that decides the outcome of the huge war.
Fun fact is, young Miyamoto Musashi was in that war.. survived, thankfully!

Yeah it was odd that the show makes it sound like Toranaga takes over the country without a fight, when in fact there was a pretty epic battle with Ishido. So not sure why we couldn't get at least a taste of that.

I appreciate the cleverness of his plan and the misdirect, but it still can't help but feel anticlimactic after the season long buildup and promises of something big at the end.

Last edited:
Yeah it was odd that the show makes it sound like Toranaga takes over the country without a fight, when in fact there was a pretty huge battle with Ishido.
Well the battle hadn’t happened yet at that point, no?

They tell you there’ll be a “battle”. We just know he’s already won before it even starts.

Does Ishido even fight or does he just surrender when everyone else turns on him?
So not sure why we couldn't get at least a taste of that.
Budget is my only guess.

Does Ishido even fight or does he just surrender when everyone else turns on him?
I dunno what happened in the book,
but if we refer to the actual Ishido (Ishida Mitsunari), he fought but lost as predicted by Toranaga (Ieyasu). He tried to escape but was caught by villagers, and ended up executed.
His head was placed on a stand for all the people in Kyoto to see.

IMG_7410.jpeg

The more I reflect on the final episode the more satisfied I am with it. There were some beautiful exchanges, especially the final scenes involving Torinaga and Yabushige, and Blackthorne and Fujiko. Also Ochiba using Mariko's poem to signal her intentions at the Battle of Sekigahara. I would've liked to see more than the brief snippet of how the battle ended up, but overall the finale enhanced the series imo. There were moments of violence throughout, but it was never about the battle itself so much as how the outcome would ultimately be engineered.

Plus Mariko in this kimono :drool

1714995803348.png

Back