Sideshow: Obi-Wan Kenobi Mythos Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No denying it looks like a very good piece. I guess I’m turned off because I know how awesome the original Mythos is and it’s kind of boring that SS just retools what they’ve already done instead of being truly creative.

Good point, this looks amazing, but could you imagine a dedicated EPIII Obi-Wan instead and the response that would of had? The Mythos line should honestly stick to being its own thing in the 1/5 scale.

I'm very conflicted when it comes to this piece, because I don't need the Mythos Ben Kenobi if I end up picking this up.

No denying it looks like a very good piece. I guess I’m turned off because I know how awesome the original Mythos is and it’s kind of boring that SS just retools what they’ve already done instead of being truly creative.
On the other hand, this gives incoming collectors a chance to acquire this particular look in statue form; it can be pretty frustrating to join a community/hobby and then realize what you missed $$$$$. The other thing too, it's *distressing* when you find out the original was ~350$ and there's listings for 2000$. :pfft:

One slight gripe is the right leg position e.g. it's kinda rotating inward. Which "technically" a human would step that way, initially, as the rock is angled; but it's not the classic "straight leg up Captain Morgan" pose.

Maybe that's makes it better. I'm just uneasy because of the catwalk Sideshow Mando where the way the foot was turning out - among other issues - for me was a no-go. Nobody walks like that.

But, the classic leg up pose would look too much like the classic Luke looking at the sunset image, so I don't know what I'm thinking. :acme

Just let me get my PO in:panic:, the statue probably won't show up until next year

I dare say this Mythos Obi-Wan PF is better than the original, mostly for the real fabric outfit. The original is pretty hard to beat and I actually think it was one of the best Sideshow PF figures ever made, but here we are.

One thing I liked a little more about the original, and it was a real stroke of brilliance on Sideshow's concept-making, was the two different actor head sculpts. They've continued that here, in fine form, but I still prefer the original head sculpt concepts over the two in this new figure. Why? In the original, the sculpts were more inventive and truer to the "Mythos" concept of imagining a Star Wars character like we've never seen it before; in the original the sculpts were slightly altered to expand the imaginative portraits of the actors, with a slightly aged Mcgregor and a de-aged Guiness. It was neither of the two exactly, but somewhere in-between in an imagined universe of Obi-Wan. I see some of that interpretative approach here, but the Guiness sculpt feels like it's too close to ANH. I know, it's an odd criticism on my part to desire a less than accurate sculpt, but I just liked the artistic interpretation that was there in the original Mythos Obi-Wan PF. That's what the Mythos line was all about.

There was a great era when Sideshow's original Premium Format (which is their proprietary name) meant mixed media pieces, like this one with real fabric outfits and leather/pleather and metal parts. In fact, Sideshow developed the PF format specifically to take advantage of the larger scale to exploit other materials that didn't translate as well in smaller 1:6 figures. I never bought into the idea of calling the PF format "figures", but understand where Sideshow was coming from, being a 1:6 figure maker at the time and wanting to distinguish the PF format from their regular all polystone statues. Back then the first PF figures were actually built on a wire armature and had a tiny bit of articulation, and the bodies were mostly stuffed with some kind of spongey material. There was hardly any polystone statue material in them, apart from the head sculpts and hands/feet.

Does anyone remember what the first Sideshow PF figure was? The very first was their Nosferatu, then Frankenstein Monster, followed by Dracula. There may have been other licenses between the three Universal Monsters, like the Dr. No James Bond, but Nosferatu was the first PF. Somewhere over the years the PF format was dumbed down to include any polystone statue in 1:4 scale. This Obi-Wan is a really fine return to form! If you have the original Mythos Obi-Wan you know how great a Mythos PF can be, but if you don't this new version will be a must-buy. No doubt it will be a lot more pricey than the original, which was only $350 at the time. Any guesses on this one's price? I'm expecting it to be about double the price of the original.

Last edited:
I dare say this Mythos Obi-Wan PF is better than the original, mostly for the real fabric outfit. The original is pretty hard to beat and I actually think it was one of the best Sideshow PF figures ever made, but here we are.

One thing I liked a little more about the original, and it was a real stroke of brilliance on Sideshow's concept-making, was the two different actor head sculpts. They've continued that here, in fine form, but I still prefer the original head sculpt concepts over the two in this new figure. Why? In the original, the sculpts were more inventive and truer to the "Mythos" concept of imagining a Star Wars character like we've never seen it before; in the original the sculpts were slightly altered to expand the imaginative portraits of the actors, with a slightly aged Mcgregor and a de-aged Guiness. It was neither of the two exactly, but somewhere in-between in an imagined universe of Obi-Wan. I see some of that interpretative approach here, but the Guiness sculpt feels like it's too close to ANH. I know, it's an odd criticism on my part to desire a less than accurate sculpt, but I just liked the artistic interpretation that was there in the original Mythos Obi-Wan PF. That's what the Mythos line was all about.

There was a great era when Sideshow's original Premium Format (which is their proprietary name) meant mixed media pieces, like this one with real fabric outfits and leather/pleather and metal parts. In fact, Sideshow developed the PF format specifically to take advantage of the larger scale to exploit other materials that didn't translate as well in smaller 1:6 figures. I never bought into the idea of calling the PF format "figures", but understand where Sideshow was coming from, being a 1:6 figure maker at the time and wanting to distinguish the PF format from their regular all polystone statues. Back then the first PF figures were actually built on a wire armature and had a tiny bit of articulation, and the bodies were mostly stuffed with some kind of spongey material. There was hardly any polystone statue material in them, apart from the head sculpts and hands/feet.
Thank you - and I've been wondering what was under the robes. I figured some sort of plastic body like the full size Grogu - maybe padded a bit.

Price I'm thinking high ~800+; popular character with 2 sculpts and a lot going on with the backpack. Possibly higher. I don't buy a lot of 1/4 so I'm in; unless the price is completely stupid.

Thank you - and I've been wondering what was under the robes. I figured some sort of plastic body like the full size Grogu - maybe padded a bit.
It’s really up to Sideshow’s discretion so we don’t know what the body will be made of here unless they specifically mention it in the somewhere in the description. The old, old PFs might’ve been done the way that historonics mentioned above, but eventually they were mostly made of polystone, including the bodies, even if they were covered in fabric. My sideshow LOTR PFs were made of polystone. I didn’t own them all but had a good handful. Same with the early DC comic PFs and the two Jack Sparrow PFs. The only PF I’ve owned that wasn’t polystone is the Man of Steel PF which unfortunately has a plastic body. Not sure about recent fully clothed PFs like Blondie, Dirty Harry or the Dracula and Van Helsing pieces. Based on unboxings, they look like they’re heavy therefore potentially polystone but don’t know for sure.

This piece could go either way with a plastic body or full polystone. I’d personally be a little disappointed if the body was plastic. I like my statues to be somewhat heavy

Last edited:
Back