Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are pics with the collar lying flat.

9198a33c.jpg

fca87b98.jpg

Has anyone thought of casting the Hasbro helmet to sell?
I just bought a new Fett PF re-sculpt helmet off ebay that is gold!

So you guys are filing down the peg on the upper helmet of Vader? These mods look TOO good for me to sit idly by and have an inferior toy.

Hey dude ! Nice to see you here! I am really tempted to mod my Vader too, but there's a part of me that's preservationist and I'm just hoping the ESB version - whenever it comes along is not plagued with a bad decision that resulted in these weird domes...
the proto was fine - but when the decision was made to either simply change the sculpt or find a cheaper way to manufacture the dome -- they really screwed up...

btw I still need to snatch up your sdcc Lotso if you still gotso...

Ok, so I am going to pull the Vader mod, how do I do this again? And NAM please don't NAM me for asking. I have a 40 ppp view, if someone knows the page numba please lmk. Thanks! :wave

Ok, so I am going to pull the Vader mod, how do I do this again? And NAM please don't NAM me for asking. I have a 40 ppp view, if someone knows the page numba please lmk. Thanks! :wave

Deak, are we talking helmet mod or height mod, or both? In any case, having done both myselt to very satisfying results, I may be of assistance.

Since I'm not aware of a photo tutorial of how the helmet mod is done, here are the general bullet points of the process I posted here a couple weeks ago sans Dremel:

1) Pop the Sideshow Vader helmet from the head piece. I loosened where the pieces were glued together with the pointy end of a plastic cupcake ornament (although anything flat & flexible that won't scratch will do). The glue is particularly heavy around the forehead & the back of the head & WILL make a cracking sound, but don't worry. As long as you work the pieces apart gently & not grip the head tightly around the tusks (which easily break), there's nothing to worry about.

2) Use a small, flat file from the hardware store to sand down the cross-shaped ridges on the upper inside of the helmet that the top of the head sits on. I probably filed away two-thirds of what was originally there, so be sure to work over some newspaper to catch all those plastic shavings.

3) Keep filing until the helmet sits on the head just as you want it. I did mine so that the top of the eyes come just below the "brow" of the helmet &, most importantly, the back of the helmet comes down below the neck. Some have chosen to also file down the post inside the helmet that fits into the top of the head, but I found it unnceccesary.

4) When you're happy with how the helmet looks, super-glue the helmet back onto the head. Do any fine tune positioning at this point as the two parts set.

5) Finally, fall in love with your Sideshow 1/6 Vader all over again!

Also, here's some photo reference of how that helmet should properly sit:

picture.php

As for lforigno, doing the torso Vader swap will knock him down about half an inch, which brings him down to how tall a near 7-foot Vader in full costume should be in 1/6 scale. Here are some comparison pics I took of my modded Vader with some other figures:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i need measurements for the cape for a height modded vader

The torso swap takes away about 1/2 inch from Vader's original height, which causes the original Sideshow cape to now drape just enough to barely touch the ground, just the way it does with the on-screen Vader.

Of course, I imagine just how much Vader's cape should touch the ground would also be a matter of debate. :wink1:

Back