Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys! took this great idea and applied it to the Vittsjo table. which is slightly smaller. but I have a Granas I scouted out on Kijiji that I will also be outfitting the way you all did. thanks so much for the idea! this is genius. heres the case, currently holding my godfather collection. quick no flash grain pics, sorry!

dsc1184q.jpg

dsc1183w.jpg

dsc1182iy.jpg

photoiuq.jpg

I found some 1/2"-1/2" aluminum angle at home depot, 8' lengths for $6.99 I will use 3 of them to trim my plexiglas at the bottom and the sides of each panel
03c7b0f37eb5288fbb0ffb8f397222aa_zps32266208.jpg

I can't seem to find that aluminum angle thing at home depot. suggestions?

In my HD it's in the door and window section in the back. They also got some in the hardware (nuts and bolts) section but those are for actual structural support while the other ones are more decorative (but perfectly fine for our purpose)

Hi Kicker not sure of the section but it was beside the flooring area and I just noticed it, it's all small stuff and it comes in three types silver, gold and black and about 5 or 6 different shapes all 8' long. I almost went with the black but though the silver would add a little class to the finish. I used a mini grinder with a zip cut blade this worked really nice because after the cut you could grind it for a nice square finish also I put the bottom on first so when you butt your ends if the side piece is not perfect you can hide it in the top under the angle frame
edec16c99b3d7ecaa310b00867ab44aa_zpse9021054.jpg

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/160562259516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
this is the one I picked up and delivered in under 2 weeks.

ok assuming they are all the same strips I ordered this one instead which does not incl the powersupply so total is a bit more per 5m but its a RF remote :p
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10M-RGB-SMD...airy_Lights&hash=item231e087829#ht_6302wt_960
also got the connectors from same buyer
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10PCS-10mm-...ultDomain_0&hash=item2572815de9#ht_3575wt_960
Hi Geil I was looking at RGB LED's and that first one that you handed off to Eric did it come with the power adapter to plug in, and I was thinking about the corners under the display case and the wire connectors they have one for each corner so you can aim the lights down and horizontally if you want maybe both 2 and 2, or do you think the LED strip would bend like that. The connectors look like they have 4" to 5" of wire and that should work good?

Hi ironed

The first set was a complete bundle with power supply. The LED strip comes with the matching connectors to the control module pre-soldered one on each end of the strip just like in the picture in the listing. Actually all pictures are pretty accurate of what I received.
I have not really thought it through but I guess the controller will have to be mounted near where the lights are as the wiring will not be long enough but most importantly the IR receiver will need to be visible for the remote to work. The LED strip itself is pretty flexible so I imagine you might be able to "curve" it around each corner without actually folding the strip. The same seller actually has this connector that would be an easy solution

Man I was going to keep using my dioders for my coffeetable but now you got me thinking and some colours would look good on the MR MF too

I finally figured out the reason why my measurements were off. As you tighten the the ends the distance between the legs starts to go off.

I'm actually going the glass route. But I so want to find that angle thing. I went with a 1/2 inch mdf board and instead of spray I paint rolled it. Spray doesn't seem to stick very well.

I know the industrial adhesive can hold the top glass but would like something for the bottom support.

Need to also decide on what lighting...awaiting people's work before I plunge.

I keep recommending 3M VHB exterior tape. The grey version can be easily found at HD and I would almost want to say if you were to use it along the entire length you will have fun trying to remove the glass afterwards. I use it to reattach decals to my car and I am telling you it won't come off voluntarily ;)

Waiting for my glass panels......vroom

DSC_0016-1.jpg

Since its a coffee table might as well put something on it for now.
DSC_0018-3.jpg

nice!! oh which reminds me ... gotto figure out to wire the tumbler and batpod to work off a switch outside a case...

nice!! oh which reminds me ... gotto figure out to wire the tumbler and batpod to work off a switch outside a case...

I was thinking the same thing but go one step further and use a couple power adapters with the switch like you said, one for each and no battery's maybe mount them them under the shelf pick a UP spot and drill a little hole for a wire, then it's + - in the battery box with the switch ON.:hi5:

Man I'm not even going to worry bout that until you guys have a tutorial for it. I'm still in the midst of determining which led set up to go with nd how to run the wires etc.

What a cool idea, wow!
Really makes for one helluva display.
Awesome!

Last edited:
Back