Hot Toys and Sideshow Bodies: A Comparative Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
First I must say, if you have any interest in 1/6 figures, whatsoever, you owe it to yourself to buy a Hot Toys GL body. Even if it is to just see what kind of quality you can expect with a $26 figure from a different collectibles company, it is worth every penny.

Up until now, the only 1/6 figures that I owned, were from Sideshow. But even then, I knew things could be better. The problems I had, with the Sideshow body, were not nitpicks that had to be searched out, but rather serious limitations in producing natural looking stances that were obvious right out of the box.

What surprised me, was that even though I already had high expectations with the HT body (after it being delayed for months), those expectations were exceeded in every respect, with the major exception of the shoulders (which I will get to later).

When you first pick up a HT body in one hand and hold a Sideshow body in the other, you can readily feel the difference. This difference isn't in the plastic, but in the joints.

On all of my Sideshow figures, the ankle joints are loose and the feet readily twirl, to and fro. The same can be said with the shoulder joint. I know all 1/6 bodies loosen with time, but these qualities have always been experienced right out of the box. The elbow and knee joints are stiffer, but they have a ratchet-like quality to them.

The surprise I wasn't prepared for with the HT body was the feel of its joints. On both HT bodies that I purchased, the joints have a stiff and yet extremely smooth feel to them. And I mean, smooth. There are no ratchet joints, which was a shock to me after being so used to Sideshow bodies for almost a year. The feeling in the joints is so distinct, that after posing a HT body, the Sideshow body feels arthritic in comparison. It's definitely a quality can't be conveyed in words or in pictures. It has to be experienced first hand.

While taking photos for this review, posing the Sideshow body was a constant struggle (understatement of the year). The combination of small feet, loose ankle joints, ratchet joints, and a high center of gravity made posing the Sideshow body a tedious experience to say the least. That is not to mention the extraordinary amount of time it takes to get the Sideshow body to stand freely in any pose without a support stand.

While I had to continually catch Sideshow’s falling body to protect poor Skinner’s noggin, the HT body stood there patiently with ease, even when I extended his limbs out in odd directions. The tight, smooth joints combined with a lower center of gravity, and better proportioned feet, truly make posing the HT body an effortless experience. Not only does the HT body stand easily, but it falls into natural looking poses without even trying.

This ease of natural posing is not only thanks to the strong joints, but also due to the great proportions and degree of articulation. When looking at a HT body, there is not a hint of 'monkey arms' or 'monkey legs'. Everything, for exception of the shoulders, looks the correct size and length. In addition, the parts themselves are molded to look like the surface anatomy of a human body. So even though there are plenty of articulated joints, the body is still aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

The wrist joints on the HT body are a godsend. I really don't know why Sideshow hasn't implemented something like this yet, as their current wrist joint offers absolutely no advantage and is an eyesore to look at.

The HT bendy hands aren't that great for gripping poses, but they are perfect for various open hand poses. Infact, they deliver so many posing possibilities, I really wish Sideshow would include a pair of bendy hands with all of their figures.

The elbows and knee caps are molded on the HT body to emulate the olecranon process and patella. These features add greatly to realism. You can really appreciate the difference after having a Sideshow Luke in his tight jumpsuit with his oddly U curved elbows.

And guess what? These HT figures actually have a butt! After having to stuff all of my Sideshow figures with cotton just so that the pants would have a natural fit, there is finally a figure that looks great in pants without any padding! It is possible Sideshow. Really, it's true!

The HT's neck articulation has a greater degree of motion thanks to the ball socket joints. There are two of them. One that connects the torso to the neck and one from the neck to the head. These socket joints are not only great for articulation, but make swapping heads so much easier. The heads stay on tightly, but you don't need to resort to a hair dryer every time you want to pull them on or off.

After thorough analysis of both bodies, there is one feature that Sideshow beats Hot Toys hands down. This is unfortunate, because the HT body really is the superior figure with one Achilles flaw--the shoulders.

I'm not quite sure why they did this, but the shoulders on the HT body are abnormally broad. This works great for larger than life characters like Superman and Batman, or the Terminator. But for the average sized person, the shoulders just look odd. Not only that, but because of the width of the shoulders, I cannot get the HT body to fit any of the Sideshow clothes. This is a very disappointing drawback, and it was unexpected to be found on a basic body. Bluesparrow says he's had some success with clothes fitting, so maybe there is hope? :)

With that huge drawback in mind, I can still wholeheartedly recommend purchasing at least one of these bodies. In fact, Sideshow designers, you NEED to purchase one of these bodies to see what is possible in 1/6 scale. Sideshow, if you can emulate this design and shrink down the shoulders a bit, you will have an almost perfect figure on your hands.

At this point in time, after experiencing the quality of a HT figure, I will be much more selective in my Sideshow purchases. Even though I am a Star Wars fan, the serious drawbacks of the current Sideshow body will make me think twice before placing an order. I have taken the red pill, folks. There is no turning back. Will you join me?

Last edited:
img5536600nd6.jpg

img5553600ig2.jpg

img5541600cp0.jpg

img5561600tp9.jpg

img5547600fd8.jpg

img5559600js9.jpg

img5549600vc1.jpg

Sorry Skinner. Because of your body design, you can't play. :(
img5552600bk6.jpg

I've been interested in purchasing one of these bodies for some time... maybe now I finally will. Thanks Justin for the in-depth insight.

Its strange, from the photos the width of the shoulders looks quite close to the SS figure. Its a huge disappointment that SS clothing won't fit this figure. Does that also mean Dragon clothing, which is often times even smaller, won't fit this body type either?

So what clothes do fit this body?

You know Justin, you act like we've never seen a Hot Toys body before.
The new design has been out for a little more then a year at this point and if you bought the Hot Toys Aliens Colonial Marines you had to assemble this body. They also used the same design in the Predator bodies just with new sculpted detail and were much larger then the regular ones.
The new ankle joints were first seen on the HT Superman and Batman figures.

Oh and I just yesterday pulled my Sideshow Frankenstein out of his coffin, and his joints were tighter then the first day I got him. So they don't always loosen with time.

Last edited:
Screamin Metal hit it.

One thing that SS body parts beat all the other companies are the hands. SS hands are very detailed and no other mass production company makes any that compare.

And bendy hands suck.

HT still has the best body right now.

Thanks for the info... good looking basebody but it really doesn't seem to far ahead of others on the market like DiD or even Dragon. But, the little details do seem to make a big difference.

Sideshow's hands are really tops in the market... which is odd since so many companies are making figures with excellent headsculpts and clothing, but clunky plastic hands? And I'm not really a fan of bendies... they just never work.

I am hopeful that Sideshow will overhaul their body... in one of the Spooktakular chats a SS rep (not sure who) said to be on the look-out in '07 for a new body. I hope thats true. But for now I'm still satisfied with the Sideshow body since mostly the joints are covered by clothing and the articulation is good enough for display.

Hi ScreamingMetal. :) Yes, I am aware that the overall body design has been out for quite some time. I wrote this review in the perspective of a Sideshow customer that hasn't tried other body types. I, myself, have only owned Sideshow figures until now (along with my recent Toy President purchases). I started purchasing 1/6 figures because of the Star Wars license. I didn't know about either Sideshow or Hot Toys until then. So I am still finding out the different body types between companies. I am sure I am not alone.

When I say that joints generally loosen with time, I mean, they tend to loosen after long term reposing, not leaving in a box or having it stand still. Time will tell with the Hot Toy bodies. But regardless of this, all of my Sideshow bodies came with loose rotating ankles and shoulders. I think it might be inherent with their design. Like I said, Hot Toy joints have an entirely different feel. They are much stiffer and there are no ratchet joints.

And EvilFace, while I agree that bendy hands don't do well with gripping poses, I think they look great with open hand ones. You can see the bendy hands in a couple of the photos I posted.

I just tried my HT body with SS Mulder's suit and it fits just fine. I also already transfer all the outfit from SS Han to HT body, they are tight but fits ok.

-a quicky pics of SS Mulder suit on HT body
DSC02935.jpg

Anything is better than a SS body nothin new.But good review.I'm gonna grab one do the SS heads go on easy?

JustinLuck said:
Hi ScreamingMetal. :) Yes, I am aware that the overall body design has been out for quite some time. I wrote this review in the perspective of a Sideshow customer that hasn't tried other body types. I, myself, have only owned Sideshow figures until now (along with my recent Toy President purchases). I started purchasing 1/6 figures because of the Star Wars license. I didn't know about either Sideshow or Hot Toys until then. So I am still finding out the different body types between companies. I am sure I am not alone.

When I say that joints generally loosen with time, I mean, they tend to loosen after long term reposing, not leaving in a box or having it stand still. Time will tell with the Hot Toy bodies. But regardless of this, all of my Sideshow bodies came with loose rotating ankles and shoulders. I think it might be inherent with their design. Like I said, Hot Toy joints have an entirely different feel. They are much stiffer and there are no ratchet joints.

And EvilFace, while I agree that bendy hands don't do well with gripping poses, I think they look great with open hand ones. You can see the bendy hands in a couple of the photos I posted.
Understood.
I just think there's quite a few people here that have been exposed to other 1/6 figures, even the people that strongly feel there's nothing wrong with the current Sideshow version.

You also suggest that Sideshow take a look at HT's basic body, quite a few people at Sideshow have been collecting 1/6 figures from various sources for a while. That and the fact that they sell Hot Toys and Medicom figures makes them well aware of other designs on the market.
Also if you've seen the other shoulder joint designs, you'll know that Hot Toys has designed the best one aesthetically. Of the HT figures I have, the shoulders look fantastic in clothes. I feel they're perfect, no need to fix them.
And Sideshow was the first to design a wrist joint that can both articulate up, down, side to side and rotate. Hot Toys's wrist is an improvement over the BBI wrist joint, which was an improvement over the Sideshow wrist joint.
I agree Sideshow needs to improve their bodies both male and female. The male one has changed very little since their first figure. If they copied or just leased the Hot Toys body I'd be far more then happy.
Frank has been out and repossed a few times since I got him so many years ago. His joints at one point were lose but now they're tighter then ever for some reason.

Great review!
Thanks for the info and pics.
I've always been very critical of SST's body, for me the perfect standard body is DML's. Way behind HT and BBi (and Medicom), but a very good basic body.
Nowadays I'm looking forward the most to Triad's new bodies, those seem to be pretty much at the forefront right now (or whenever they're actually released), both in aesthetics and functionality.

The shoulder joint articulation on the HT body is the best I've ever seen. Way, way better than the snap, click forward, backward motion of the Sideshow shoulder.

The problem I have is, along with the width of the shoulders, there is no gentle sloping. Humans have a gentle slope along their shoulders. Without this, the shoulders tend to have a square look and make the neck look shorter than it really is, when the figure is wearing clothes.

When I say the Hot Toy bodies can't fit any of the clothes, I don't mean that they don't fit at all, but they just don't fit well. It's the combination of the broad shoulders with the lack of slope that create a boxy look, along with causing the sleeve length to become too short.

img5567300vt9.jpg

But as you can see here, even though the tall shoulders are causing the neck to disappear under the clothes and the sleeves to become short, the figure can still look decent. The pants and shoes fit perfectly. And don't forget the essential bendy hand. :D

img5564600kb6.jpg

justin.... great review!!! and um... dude... do something about those pants!! they look horrible!!! I really want to show you guys how I altered mine!!! my bruce wayne custom looks brilliant!! amazing!!! alot better then I expected!!
too bad I don't have my camera.

anyways, IMHO the best body on the market.

Medicom301.jpg

neo.jpg

beautiful...

The only big drawback of the Medi body (other than height -or lack thereof) is the godawful wrist joint. But I hear that's been taken care of with their new Bruce Lee figure.

The Medicom body doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing exposed as the Hot Toys body. If a figure had to wear a tank top, a wet suit, tight clothes, or go sans shirt or something they just don't look as good as the Hot Toys version.
And I agree, Medicom wrists are the worst design on the market (they have holes straight through them).

Justin, I think your shoulders are in the up position. They are designed to articulate up and down for clavicle movement. I can't show you a pick of mine, but they do slope down a bit when they're in the right position. Try pushing down on them a little.

screamingmetal said:
Justin, I think your shoulders are in the up position. They are designed to articulate up and down for clavicle movement. I can't show you a pick of mine, but they do slope down a bit when they're in the right position. Try pushing down on them a little.

Medicom301.jpg

As screamingmetal said,

Try to lower the shoulder and it should looks more nature. That picture show 2 position you can do for the should on HT body as well , but less dramatic. If you position the shoulder as shown in the left from that photo, the neck will disappear, but when you lower the shoulder as shown in the right, the neck should appear again...

Let us know if it works for you, Justin :)

I was really hoping to upgrade my Skinner with a HT body but if the clothes won't fit then it's no-sale for me. Looks like we'll have to keep waiting for Sideshow to design a new body. What a HUGE disappointment.

Guess the presidents company didnt have HT bodies in mind when they made their garb. HT made it for their figures and it works awesome with them as well. Who wants a whimpy shouldered figure?

And going by your pics as you suggest, bendy hands still suck, especially that pic with it in the dudes pocket. And I don't need to look at pics to know this, I have bendy hands from Dragon, HT and DID and they all suck.

snakebeater said:
anyways, IMHO the best body on the market.

gee, who would've thunk?

MediWorldCivilWarBanner.jpg

At the end of the day, I'm more concerned with accuracy to the character then having a fully functional body. So, within a movie grouping, I use Sideshow bodies for 'tall' characters, Dragon for 'midsized' bodies, etc. When it comes down to it, I can get a satisfactory pose out of almost any body. What drives me nuts is having a character that is supposed to be tall relative to another and its shorter or something.

I'm curious to see how Aragorn -- who is strangely short compared to SW SS characters -- compares to the other LOTR SS characters.

Back