SW VS. LOTR #2- Obi-Wan VS. Gandalf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi-Wan or Gandalf?

• Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episodes I-VI)

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Gandalf (Both Grey & White)

Votes: 63 60.6%

• Total voters

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
So Aragorn has triumphed over Han Solo and given Lord of the Rings the first point in our Saga VS. Saga weekly poll marathon. Now we move on two poll #2/15:

obiwanvsgandalfkx5.jpg

This hero may be dismissed as an “old wizard,” but his aged features and his deep reserves of wisdom and mystical knowledge don’t keep him from whipping out his weapon of choice when the situation demands it. While his foresight and guidance spur the young hero into action, setting the quest into motion, he won’t be around forever—he sacrifices himself at a critical moment to allow the other heroes to escape. However, we later discover that when you strike him down, he returns more powerful than we could have possibly imagined.

So vote for your favorite of the two characters, and then defend your choice...

tomandshell said:
So Aragorn has triumphed over Han Solo and given Lord of the Rings the first point in our Saga VS. Saga weekly poll marathon.
I missed this. Where do I look to get up to speed?

Two of my favorites, but I'll have to go with Gandalf. He fought a Balrog while falling through a mountain, killed it, died and came back to life as an even more powerful version of himself and not just a ghost.

I have to give it to Gandalf... I love SW, moreso than LOTR, but Gandalf was much more of an asskicker that Old Ben. Now if you could include all of the SW films it might be different.

Great pairing... it actually made me grimace a bit while deciding :lol

EDIT Turns out I can't read the poll criteria... bearing in mind that this is actually Obi Wan from all the movies makes a lot of difference :lol

Last edited:
^^gandolf more of an ass kicker than obi wan?? lets see gandolf take on darth maul and walk away. im voting for good old ben!! not only did he kick some major sith ass, but he was responsible for training one of the deadliest and most feared sith lords in star wars history... how's that for a reference on your permanent record??:lol

I made sure to set up the poll so that it is Obi-Wan from all six Star Wars films VS. Gandalf from all three LOTR films (both Grey and White versions). So I voted for Obi-Wan, because of his role and actions in the prequels. As one of the Maia, Gandalf was prohibited from taking too active a role in the fate of Middle Earth. He is more of an advisor and doesn't take a direct role in the action unless absolutely necessary. On the other hand, look at Obi-Wan taking on Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Jango Fett, Grievous, or Anakin. He is a man of action all the way. And old Ben is more charming than Gandalf the White.

^^totally agreed Tom, but i havent read any of the other "LOTR" books. in fact, its been almost 4 years since i've read the trilogy. i think during my christmas break im gonna rehash the good memories and try some of the other books. :D

Aw *****... I misread and for some reason thought it was Obi Wan only from the Episode IV-VI. Damn, I'm an idiot... oh well they always say you can't trust statistics :lol

This is a very tough call, but I'm going with Obi-Wan. We really did get to see Obi-Wan develop over the course of the six movies. From seeing the pain brought out by Anakin's betrayal and Qui-Gon's death in the prequels, to seeing him teach Luke the ways of the Force or whip out his lightsaber and cut someone's arm off in the OT. You really knew that he was a Jedi.

:monkey2 Ouch my favorite two characters from each respective series ... :monkey2

Gandalf sure had more memorable lines than Obi (and definitely the Obi of the PT); but Alec Guiness was pure perfection. I didn't care much for the Obi Wan of TPM or AOTC, and even in ROTS he seemed so under developed; his relationship never fully played out with Anakin. Obi is so memorable from ANH though.

Gandalf, a stern but optimistic hero, full of sage wisdom and counsel. Who will ever forget the battle with the Balrog, more memorable than any duel that Obi ever had ...

Ah, close my eyes and vote - ok, I went with Gandalf.

God Tom, you really trying to make it difficult as possible for us to choose haha.

I gotta stick with my boy ObiWan. Besides, he did beat the crap out of the "chosen one", and is hugely significant to bringing balance back to the force (mentoring Luke). You cant mess with that. Boom!

Man, a hard choice.

I picked Gandalf because even though he was a very powerful wizard, he chose to fight like a mortal man in ROTK.

Man, this one was hard to choose..... Gandalf had some of the coolest scenes and memorable lines of the entire series. He's one of my favorite characters of all time and to pit him against my other favorite character of all time is just sick, Tom!!! :lol

Well, I had to go with the Old Hermit.... Obi-Wan to me is what every man strives to be. He's the quintessential Jedi, always doing the best that he can to keep order and to stay the course. The charm and gentle attitude that he has when things are going well are off centered by the stern focus he dons when he enters the fray. He defeated Maul even though the Sith had taken out an older and more experiences Jedi Master, and he defeated the Chosen One even though he was his best friend and one of the most deadly duelists in the order. So I had to vote for Obi.....

booooo!!! Tom. This was hard. My favorite character in the entire SW saga against one of the best in LOTR. But I'm for Gandalf. :gandalf :gandalf_w

Let me first give mad props to Tom for making this poll even more difficult than the first one.

I'm leaning towards Obi since he has so much more material to work from, film wise anyway. Once the Hobbit is made, Gandalf would be my choice here because he kicks even more ass in that book. But since I only have to current movies to go by, Obi will get my vote.

These are my favorite two characters! Both are great, however, I have to give it up for Gandalf. He fought the friggn' Balrog, died and came back, and of course he rides on Shadowfax! :D

Obi is my winner:D
He kicked Mauls ass and sent Anakin packing:chew

Old ben was just so wise,as Gandelf was one of the better characters from lord of the rings,but was still a little boring.

Back