Shropt's Sculpting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shropt

My Little Mod
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

One thing I got for Christmas this year was a box of Super Sculpey and a sack of tools. I haven't sculpted since high school so I've been dying to try my hand at it again.

Well today I finally started. If anyone has any tips on working with Super Sculpey then please chime in.

My first attempt is Momaw Nadon. I think I chose the hardest guy simply because his "stalk" does not want to stand up on its own (note the toothpick holding it up in the pics). My sculpt is based off the pre-production sketch and not the production mask so please mind the differences.

Here's the sketch:
cantinaroncobbmomawnadon.jpg

And here are the pics:
momaw01.jpg

momaw02.jpg

Please note that I'm working on one side at a time so there is no detail on the other side of the head.

Any tips? Little help?

Thanks!!! And be as brutal as you like!! :D

Hey Shropt, this is looking great!! For someone that hasn't sculpted in awhile, you really jumped right in. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you are finished. :D :rock

that does look outstanding, is this 1/6th scale? also what are your plans for articulation?

Looks great so far!! And kudos for fearlessness in attacking such a complicated sculpt. Those "Hammerheads" are not easy to do especially with a sculpey base.

I can't wait to see the finished product, it certainly has a lot of potential! :rock

I did one of an Ithorian in a two part head so it can swivel and turn. What you might want to consider is baking a core head stem and build around it.

hammerhead.jpg

I was looking at this for inspiration:
cantina-momawnadon-2.jpg

cantina-momawnadon-3.jpg

This is over at RS by a guy named John Dunivant

Thanks for the inspiring words guys! :rock

Those other customs look great. I haven't decided whether I want to go with Momaw Nadon or just an Ithorian in general. I played Star Wars Galaxies as an Ithorian for a while and you could really adjust the length of the stalk and size of the eyes.

One note for non-Star Wars nerds is the "frills" on the side of the head is his mouth so I'm technically sculpting him with his mouth open. :D

:bunnydanc

Call it an epiphany.

What does a sculptor do when he is torn between accuracy and preference?

Here is a comparison between the original sketch and the movie sculpt:

cantinaroncobbmomawnadon.jpg
momawmovie.jpg

Now the easy answer is, "Do what the hell you want, its your sculpt". But the Star Wars nerd in me screams ACCURACY!!

Ugh, I think I understand what the SSC sculptor must have felt doing Plo Koon. He differs from movie to movie but he must make one almighty sculpt.

What to do?

That is really impressive for your first scuplt, i got some sculpey at christmas aswell how easy is it to use?
I think you should go with the production sketch, it will be original and i think the eyes will look really nice.

Looks great so far shropt

Take your time with rest, infact if your anything like me and when you get free time you dont want to be waiting for stuff to dry

then start something else alongside that way you can come back to it with a new perspective

Again, thanks for the compliments. I've already done a lot more work but now I'm working in pieces. I have a "neck bulb", stalk, and the eyes. Its a little difficult to get good pics right now but I will post again soon.

Super Sculpey is great to work with. It doesn't dry out and you don't need to keep it in a plastic bag or anything. Its VERY forgiving.

Does anyone have experience with baking Sculpey? Is it like clay/ceramic where you need to worry about air bubbles destroying your pieces?

Let me get back to you on this. I had read a really good sculpey tutorial somewhere with precise baking instructions. It starts off at about 200 F for about an hour, then increase it to about 235 for another hour and a half then turn off the oven and let it cool inside. DO NOT REMOVE IT OR TRY AND COOL IT FASTER.
The clay gets much more consistent and doesn't chip as easily.
As soon as I can find the tutorial I will post the source.

Just an update:

I've put this project on hold until I get the buck body I ordered from SSC. I've been really worried about the scale and I don't want to go any farther if the scale is way off.

More pics next week.

Any more progress on that Sculpey guide Anzik?

You might want to try using Super Sculpey "Firm".
Works just like the regular Super Sculpey but is a little stiffer and holds a stronger form.
You can also use paint thinner to soften up the surface for smoothing out or adding in fine detail. Just brush it on a little at a time to make creases or wrinkles, or you can rub it on with your finger to get the desired softness.

BillyB

Back