SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have my Hot Toys ED-209 on a shelf in my room in an AC controlled environment. I take him down tonight to do a little cleaning and this is what I find! Not only is the rubber separating from the plastic but the rubber is deteriorating and starting to crack/separate as well....GRRRRRGH!

Anyone else having this issue with theirs in a controlled environment?

p1020062gt9.jpg

p1020069li0.jpg

p1020065ay6.jpg

Some scary ^^^^, i have that thing! Has it been in the sun or something? Or a very dry climate?

This again shows that HT should stop using rubber.

Man, that really blows...

This is the main reason I dropped the HT 1/6 lines. Saw the rubber issues on some of the aliens right out of the package., and having issues with the rubber muscle bodies fairly quickly. Their stuff looks the best, that's for sure - but unfortunately they don't really stand the test of time.

Well, I guess you've got the battle damaged version now. :(

I do have concerns about the long-term stability of the rubber used in a lot of these figures. It's too bad, since the ones with the fancy rubber suits and whatnot are usually the most expensive, too.

That is some scary ^^^^^, bro. I am sorry to see that. I own a lot of Hot Toys pieces and they are among my prized collectibles. I know they can be very delicate but that looks like some form of dry rot or something. Like I said, so sorry to see that. I did notice on my BB original suit today that the rubber plates on the suit were "flaking". It's an older fig but still my SS Creature from The Black Lagoon is in perfect condition and its almost 10 years old! Maybe you can contact Hot Toys for a replacement part. It's worth a shot.

Sorry to see that. Perhaps it can be replaced with a metal screening used for Predator bios. I don't have one of these but if that piece is removable this could be used to fix it...and might even look better than the original. Just a thought.

ashes to ashes, dust to dust. everything changes, nothing stays the same.

That sucks man. stick with polystone. Or maybe apply some armor-all.

Poly$$$tone. I guess you get what you pay for. But HT pieces are not cheap and should be able to withstand the elements in an indoor climate controlled atmosphere. I hope you find a solution to this.

I think most of us have suspected the long term durability of rubbet onthese figures...sadly its proving to be true!

Hot Toys stuff looks the best, but they use the most cheap ass plastics and rubber in their figures, even just assembling them is frought with danger.

Sorry to hear about your Ed-209 dude.

Ouch, that is bad news... I'm sorry for you. Contact HT and see what they can do for you. Might get a replacement. I mean... a figure breaking from just standing there... sux! Heh, guess this is another great reason to leave everything in the box! The longer it stays in the box, the longer it stays 'new'. That's just fact. I have many HT Aliens, the ED209, the Appleseed figures... a lot of rubber there. But everything still in the box. I think the 'oldest' rubber thing from HT I have is the ED209. Maybe I should check on it, to see if the rubber is still fine.

Do you have a HT robo? If so, what's the condition of the rubber?

Yep, have a Robocop and he is fine.

I think the ED-209 is going to be vulnerable to ripping and separating due to the rubber used in that area being so tightly stretched out and glued down. I think it is just stretched out too far and it's natural tendency is to pull itself back to it's normal size.

Back