Customs cases for figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kj23

Super Freak
Reaction score
Following on from my thread about how i made some stands for my hot toys accessories for these cases, https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64375

I stole/based the design on this fellas for the cases, https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58994

i wanted mine more individual for each figure. i way underestimated how much work it was, both in researching, sourcing materials and the time spent putting it together. from painting, sizing them up to making logos in photoshop and getting them to work and look ok on the bases.
the tubing/case was guess work intially since i would never know the sizes till i set them up. for the next batch i can be more precise even though they'll end up different heights which i didn't really want, they all wont be lined up next to each other so it shouldn't stick out too much.
please excuse the bad photo's and the figures poses are pretty crappy as i just quickly set them up for some photos. they'll look better when they're in their final setup and location.

the materials, i bought the plastic tubing from a plastic supplier and the wood was done by a professional wood turner,
tubes2.jpg

basesraw0.jpg

the bases painted and with their respective logo/designs on. i only did 6 for my first batch to see how it all went. eventually i'll get more and each base with have a different logo, as in each of the hot toys iron man figures will have a different looking base.
basesdone.jpg

i then did name plates/plaques for each figure too, based on the hot toys stands, i used the same description athough it could have been anything. i tried 2 different shapes and you can see the size next to the original hot toys stands,
finishedname1.jpg

figure on my base with hot toys original base next to it,
basecomparison.jpg

first test or figure in case, there isn't a massive amount of room either side, depends on the figure of course and pose you want out of it,
testfigure.jpg

figures in final finished case, like i said the heights of some figures and the case needs tweaked in my next batch,
ironman1case.jpg

ironman3donelight.jpg

with some of my stands in the case,
ironman3done-1.jpg

ironmanlights.jpg

jokerdonemasks.jpg

that's about it i think. oh, there's a green baize on the bottom of the bases too.

yeah, led's. not planning on them being on much or for long. just for show more than anything.

a few pics of the cases lined up. height difference not as bad as i thought. forgot to put in the name plates i made up and not all the figures and bases match up as this pic was just to see how they look next to each other.
casesrow.jpg

one at night, not a very good photo though,
caseslitup.jpg

Really cool. Do you have to take the light out to turn on?

Really cool. Do you have to take the light out to turn on?

the light is a simple stick on led one, you just press it and on it goes. you need to take the lid off the tube, takes a second. you can get similar ones on a remote but they're bigger so the lid and therefore the base would need redesigned and i didn't think it would make much difference with it being to easy to use as it is.

Nice work!
I was thinking of doing something similar eventually but more specific to Star Trek figures as I would like to create a transporter room and then use acrylic tubes to create a transporter effect by having LEDs or fiber optic pipes light up the tube edge :D

Nice work!
I was thinking of doing something similar eventually but more specific to Star Trek figures as I would like to create a transporter room and then use acrylic tubes to create a transporter effect by having LEDs or fiber optic pipes light up the tube edge :D

thanks. yeah, that would look good for a transporter, didn't even consider that.
i have briefly looked into alternative lighting, i was thinking small spotlights on the base, 4 maybe shining upwards and illuminating the figure from below. bit more complicated than a simple led push on light. i think it would look fancy though. i like the idea of no cables/wires and what not everywhere though once you start bringing in a power source.

thanks. yeah, that would look good for a transporter, didn't even consider that.
i have briefly looked into alternative lighting, i was thinking small spotlights on the base, 4 maybe shining upwards and illuminating the figure from below. bit more complicated than a simple led push on light. i think it would look fancy though. i like the idea of no cables/wires and what not everywhere though once you start bringing in a power source.

I think lighting from the bottom sets a different ambiance than from top. Like when from bottom it suits more freaky horror characters like Joker :D You know like when you tell a horror story and use your flashlight to shine up your chin :rotfl I actually tried that with the Terminator T-600 and looks good but I just didn't set it up permanently
Heroes need to get the light from the heavens :p

yeah, i do like a bit of the old uplighting. was trying not to make this the most complicated thing i have ever done though:)

Back