My PF Vader review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
If you were paying attention to the Sideshow website last week, you probably already saw this, but I'm posting my review at my own site tonight.

He's big, he's cool, and he's damn expensive. It's the Premium Format Darth Vader from Sideshow, with electronics and wow factor included. I've picked up a number of the PF figures over the years now, but this one is by far the nicest in my collection. Oh, sure, he still has a couple minor issues, but photos simply don't do this guy justice. This is the kind of collection centerpiece that would make anyone - no matter how they feel about Star Wars - go 'wow'.

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

Solid review Mike. Didn't agree with everything but I agreed with a decent portion of it.

Dude, if you ragging on that sculpt, you will never be satisfied. There will always be SOMETHING to nitpick.

Michael Crawford said:
Dude, if you ragging on that sculpt, you will never be satisfied.

Michael, I respect your reviews, but I have to strongly disagree with you on that comment. I wouldn't say it as harshly as CF did, but 4/4 for Vader is a pretty big stretch.

It's easily the weakest PF sculpt of any I've owned. I still love it because it's Vader, but the sculpt is average, IMO. There is a great deal of room for improvement.

See this is one area I agree with Mike on this the sculpt is for sure a 4/4. Calling this sculpt average is absurd IMO. If you got problems with this I really think your being really really anal.:rolleyes: I think the sculpt is even better in person than in the pics I've seen and looking at it compared to the pics of the costume I really see less of an issue.

jlcmsu said:
See this is one area I agree with Mike on this the sculpt is for sure a 4/4. Calling this sculpt average is absurd IMO. If you got problems with this I really think your being really really anal.:rolleyes: I think the sculpt is even better in person than in the pics I've seen and looking at it compared to the pics of the costume I really see less of an issue.

Nah, it's decent, but nothing great. It's a nice piece that I'll have for a while, but it will be sold whenever a better Vader comes out eventually.

It's easily the worst of the Star Wars PF's, and I've owned them all. Han is the best one so far, but Obi and Grievous look like they'll surely top him.

I own a dozen PF's - the only other one that can come close to this sculpt is the POTO. But if you can find fault with it, hey, you're looking at it with your eyes. Everyone will see some things differently.

Michael Crawford said:
Han is the best? Okay, now I see why we don't agree ;)

Yeah, me too. I plan to get mine repainted by a paintmaster. The factory job definitely doesn't do it justice. My buddy cap70 on Statueforum got a good one.

cap_han.jpg

Even Andy will admit that Han's profile is off, but it's damn near perfect from the front.

hanbig14qu.jpg

It just needs a better coat of paint. Vader needs a new helmet, the correct belt boxes, new lights painted red that don't light up, a smaller Mouse Droid, the correct gray color painted on the mask, and on and on and on...

Great review. Vader is a great piece. I'm a picking one and hard to please, but I was stunned when when I set up Vader.

I think Han is aweful. From bad paint apps, to a big head and hands, he really hurts the line. Glad to see Vader bring justice.

elwood49 said:
Nah, it's decent, but nothing great. It's a nice piece that I'll have for a while, but it will be sold whenever a better Vader comes out eventually.

It's easily the worst of the Star Wars PF's, and I've owned them all. Han is the best one so far, but Obi and Grievous look like they'll surely top him.

There's a shock your gonna sell it as soon as the next hot item comes out. :rolleyes: If your waiting for the next best Vader then I think you'll be waiting for a while cause this is it. I've seen them all as well and if Vader is the weakest well then I'll take weak cause there ain't nothin weak about this piece.

Elwood,

You'll probably be waiting for quite a while then because I don't see anything coming along that will top this Vader anytime soon. Just my opinion.

I will say I think this is the best Vader statue released so far but does have issues.

I agree more with Elwood and would not have given it a 4 out of 4 either.

It's pretty good but could have been a lot better.

Some of us are just more picky than others.

Brent72 said:
Elwood,

You'll probably be waiting for quite a while then because I don't see anything coming along that will top this Vader anytime soon. Just my opinion.

Agreed! It will be quite a feat if a better Vader statue were made. I pretty much agree with MC's review; although, I'd give it a 5 out of 4.

Yeah, from what I have seen of this statue it's by far the best one of the bunch. As far as Vader collectibles go, you will be hard pressed to find a better specimen. I have only had the pleasure of seeing it once, and I have been saving like crazy to get one of my own ever since. It just seems a little nuts to over analyze things like the chest box and lights, etc... Just something that a good percent of Star Wars fans will not care about. It's just a statue... A beautiful statue.... but still just a statue nontheless..

Does it capture the essence of the character?....yes... good... that's all that matters... at least to me. :D

The pose isn't anything spectacular, but I think that is for two reasons:

1) The limits of the PF, we have yet to see anything that may be considered a high action pose (the closest would likely be the Wolf Man), I think that the cloth might be a bit of a contraint there.

2) The lightsaber duel was pretty tame, esp when considered with the later offerings. Some of the Vader items out there don't appeal to me at all, because their poses are just off when it comes to the movies they are attempting to portray.

That said, I like my Vader - I will change the lights, and that's about it. :cool:

*BTW - did anyone else notice that the text for this one encompasses the entire OT, which to me means that although Vader is from ANH, he is meant to span the saga. That could be the reason for the significant changes in the costuming from the first film.

Last edited:
Great review michael!

I guess when it gets down to it, everyone just have different opinions on things. I would love to own this!

LOTRFan said:
2) The lightsaber duel was pretty tame, esp when considered with the later offerings. Some of the Vader items out there don't appeal to me at all, because their poses are just off when it comes to the movies they are attempting to portray.

True! I don't remember classic Vader jumping all over the place and doing backflips like everybody did in the prequels. This pose seems accurate to Episode IV.

As for the figure, it's the best Vader I've seen, and I am quite happy to have it in my collection. I am also very excited to get Obi-Wan in a few weeks to go with him! The Luke PF gazing up into the twin suns and the classic duel between these two are some very iconic moments that Sideshow has captured perfectly, straight from the movies. I really love this line!!

Back