My annual "I want Psycho" rant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anton Phibes

Super Freak
Reaction score
As Halloween is fastly approaching, and I know there are folks who lurk on these boards who are in the "biz"---I want to make a point known I make every year on other boards I visit, and for the first time here as part of my annual screech-fest: I still want Psycho. Norman and Mrs. Bates corpse. Psycho is a veritable untapped goldmine, with almost no solid merchandising in its 50 year history. Like Night of the living Dead(until recently) it is an untapped vein.

Millions of people annually go to Universal Studios in California to see the Bates Motel and the Manor. Why is there so little product? This film set the standard for horror films for years...just like in the 1970's a certain little demon possessed child did, who also has had very little in the way of merchandising. Why is Psycho neglected? Are we worried merchandising will somehow "cheapen" its chills? Please. I saw this movie when I was 14. The same year Nightmare on Elm Street was released. Psycho scared me more than Elm Street.

I believe in continually letting those in the business know that there are those of us still out here in collector land that already have a zillion Frankensteins, Leatherfaces, and Mummies(although we will always make room for more). But little for Psycho. So where's the beef? The revelation scene when Mrs. Bates' corpse is discovered is one of cinema's most terrifying and genuinely confusing moments, until our brain begins to piece together how Hitchc*ock directed us to think.

So where's the product? Blu ray releases are great....but where's the rest? I honestly thought when McFarlane toys did a Norman in their Movie Maniacs line all those years ago that FINALLY Psycho's merchandising gates would be opened. But its still just a trickle.

For those of you who will hit the :lecture:lecture:lecture buttons. Yeah--I know, its a long winded synopsis, that most of you think will do no good. But there are manufacturers who come to these boards and read with interest what we post here. I will give you an example. Myself an several others never stopped clamoring for a Dr. Phibes figure. Reel toys had dropped the ball and never released theirs. But Majestic toys picked it up and made the figure...because Majestic had someone reading these boards. Their Dark Shadows and Dr. Phibes figures are on a par with anything SSC did. But the figures were ultimately made because someone was listening to fans.

Psycho has fans. Its an untapped vein. Bring it. I gotta go--my mother's calling me.:monkey3

I dont know if I would call it a "veritable untapped goldmine", you're probably over selling it a bit, but I would pick up a Norman Bates for sure.

He was the "modern slasher" before there was a modern slasher genre. Before Leatherface, Myers, Jason and Freddy, there was Bates.

Bates is underrated and unappreciated.

This is what I had to say about Norman Bates 5 years ago:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10504&page=2

The reason I think its an untapped goldmine (at the risk of sounding over selling) is that Universal California would surely carry the products in their gift shoppes...which would promote impulse buys. Plus freaks like me that would gobble them up. Yes--I knew I would get the lecture smiley from Nam. He loves me.

mother1.jpg

100_4677.jpg

attachment.php

Well Headplay is making a Hitchcock sculpt so that's probably the closest we will see to a Psycho 1/6th figure for quite awhile or possibly ever.

Bates would be cool though. :)

Good luck -- post pix if you get one. I'm tempted myself, but would rather get one made of resin or some other material that would simulate the original prop.

Still, I have one of their Michael Myers masks so I know Sam does good work.

Since there's never anything new, I'll post some newer things aded to my collection. A Psycho 2 promotional cabin key, an original oil painting commission, and the Franklin Mint extremely limited Psycho mini diorama under glass. But I need dioramas, figures, and models dang it. Are you listening hot Toys, Sideshow, NECA? Bring it!!!:gah:

1003257s.jpg

Since there's never anything new, I'll post some newer things aded to my collection. A Psycho 2 promotional cabin key, an original oil painting commission, and the Franklin Mint extremely limited Psycho mini diorama under glass. But I need dioramas, figures, and models dang it. Are you listening hot Toys, Sideshow, NECA? Bring it!!!:gah:

1003257s.jpg

Love that painting.

Back