Hot Toys C-3PO (ROTJ)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling the weathering probably looks way better in hand. Maybe someone that has him can confirm that or not.

I just would like a shiny version. I know there is one out there by another company that is EXPENSIVE, so it would be cool to be able to get this one and make him shine but if not I can wait. :)

Not that it's a deal breaker, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned (or maybe it got by me) is that the figure has a rich, warm gold tone. I re-watched ROTJ scenes the other day and it's a cooler metallic hue, or at least appears that way to my eyes.
Agreed. Though I think that may be the result of film grading and filtering, where warmer reds and yellows are cooled to not look harsh onscreen. But I agree. And would prefer a less saturated gold.

I have a feeling the weathering probably looks way better in hand.
You are right! Not oppressive at all. In fact, I may add some more, like oil dripping from his restraining bolt. I think this is a very well done release, just a few years too late. A bit surprised at his lack of articulation, but after seeing this character in 9 films, I should know his body dictates his movements. Like I said earlier, this will be my first and last 3p0, but I am quite please with what I have

on-deck.jpg

Got mine.
I think the head is ever so slightly underscaled and I certainly would have preferred an ANH or ESB look.
But those are honestly very minor nitpicks. I've been waiting for a 3P0 for years, and I am very happy with how this turned out. The weathering is much less pronounced in person compared to every photo I have seen so far (including mine).

DSCF9415.jpg
DSCF9411.jpg
DSCF9406.jpg

Mine came in! I agree, the pictures make the weathering look worse. One of my pistons came disconnected, fixed it. Not worried about replacing. Happy to have My C-3PO. Also the stand isn't as high as I thought and he still fits in the detolf, may modify it or get a different base eventually though.

Attachments

• PXL_20240507_232301453.jpg
    PXL_20240507_232301453.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240507_232217502.jpg
    PXL_20240507_232217502.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last week my padme was delayed by a train derailment. She came about a week after the original delivery date. I just got the same message about C3po. Another mf ing train derailment. Wtf UPS?

I saw a weathering technique on Youtube for a 1:1 chromed 3PO head prop that probably would work very well here to give you that dulled ROTJ look.
Elmers school glue. Paint on, let dry then lightly rub off areas to expose the shiner surface.
Easy to do and if you dont like it, easy to remove.

Probably one of the most disappointing unboxings I’ve had with Hot Toys in a very long time unfortunately. Mine just looks orange and the shoulders are almost pink compared to the rest for some reason. You know it’s bad when you’re looking at a Sideshow figure and wishing the finish looked more like it.

I’ve seen some stunning paint work on droids like AOTC 3PO and KX but this really looks phoned in. Even Salacious’ paint apps look kinda cheap.

At least I have a 3PO to pair with drink server R2 now but, dang, I wish they would’ve treated this one with a little more care.

IMG_3224.jpeg

Probably one of the most disappointing unboxings I’ve had with Hot Toys in a very long time unfortunately. Mine just looks orange and the shoulders are almost pink compared to the rest for some reason. You know it’s bad when you’re looking at a Sideshow figure and wishing the finish looked more like it.

I’ve seen some stunning paint work on droids like AOTC 3PO and KX but this really looks phoned in. Even Salacious’ paint apps look kinda cheap.

At least I have a 3PO to pair with drink server R2 now but, dang, I wish they would’ve treated this one with a little more care.

View attachment 701812

Sorry to hear you're disappointed but it honestly looks amazing in that photo.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed but it honestly looks amazing in that photo.
He really does look great in pics. In hand mine seems to have gotten quite a bit of the orange weathering applied. I may try and “clean” him up a bit later. I was just surprised since HT has done some really terrific paint work on their droids in the past.

When you watch ROTJ, especially at the beginning, he does have similar weathering but this was just applied a bit heavy handed.

View attachment 701812
Awesome pic as always Coco. :clap

But yeah it's something we often forget - that these figs are made in factories but individual figures can vary quite a bit. My SSC 3POs (I've had three - one destroyed for replacement from SSC) were all quite different in amount/look of weathering, and my three Chewies look fairly different from each other. Any fig that has an element where there's a lot of room for variation - fur, weathering, applied fabric etc.

So while it's clear the overall weathering plan HT went with for this fig wasn't good, some of it comes down to the individual figure you receive. Maybe Coco's was on that outer edge of not looking great.

To me the bigger issue is the slightly oversized eyes and slightly underscaled head (which I noticed immediately when I got a loose AOTC head for protocol droid custom months ago) because that's locked into every potential release to come - clean ANH, ESB blown apart, etc.

Back