Marvel Studios : X-Men '97 - 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn so next week is the finale I can’t wait to see what happens next. But I don’t know what would happen. Like damn how are they gonna wrap this up in 23 min.

I hate having to rush to watch something, but I've been getting spoilers in my news feed and Youtube so had to watch this when I woke up this morning before going to work. Having said that. . .

*spoilers below*

Thought this episode was great overall. I suppose it was inevitable that the eternal Magneto/Charles conflict repeats itself, with the result being death and trauma. Though we saw it in the previous promo video, I was very happy to see classic 70s-80s styled outfits for just about everyone. The Rogue, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean looks are my favorites. I dig seeing Xavier in the wheelchair. Sunspot even got the New Mutants suit. Morph looks worse, but I get they were just trying to shake things up with everyone, so no biggie.

What I do not like was the very end of the episode. I hated that story and idea in the comic, and don't want to see it here. The fact that Wolvie's suit was ripped to shreds also means I probably won't see him in the brown suit anymore which is horrible.

I hate having to rush to watch something, but I've been getting spoilers in my news feed and Youtube so had to watch this when I woke up this morning before going to work. Having said that. . .

*spoilers below*

Thought this episode was great overall. I suppose it was inevitable that the eternal Magneto/Charles conflict repeats itself, with the result being death and trauma. Though we saw it in the previous promo video, I was very happy to see classic 70s-80s styled outfits for just about everyone. The Rogue, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean looks are my favorites. I dig seeing Xavier in the wheelchair. Sunspot even got the New Mutants suit. Morph looks worse, but I get they were just trying to shake things up with everyone, so no biggie.

What I do not like was the very end of the episode. I hated that story and idea in the comic, and don't want to see it here. The fact that Wolvie's suit was ripped to shreds also means I probably won't see him in the brown suit anymore which is horrible.
I don’t think he’s gonna be in any suit for a while.

*spoilers below*

So he DID wear the brown suit?

There it is! Wolvie in his sweet 1980s John Byrne-designed brown costume! The BEST Wolverine costume!

vlcsnap-2024-05-08-20h33m34s814.png

If he'd been wearing this in the original cartoon instead of that ugly yellow and blue eyesore, I'd have tuned in every week!

Seeing it here is so cool...it's like a throwback to "Pryde of the X-Men" when he had that awful Australian voice:

vlcsnap-2024-05-08-21h13m04s303.png

Or the awesome Konami arcade game where he had really...unusual...anatomy on his right arm.

vlcsnap-2024-05-08-21h10m08s169.png

I'm a huge x-men comics fan and grew up on this cartoon so this should in theory be the best thing ever for me but I don't think it's as good as everyone else thinks it is. Sure it looks flashy, the animation is great, its nice to have the voice actors back and its fun to see the storyline from the comics played out but I can't help feeling that it's all very shallow and hollow.

Beau DeMayo is clearly a fan of certain parts of the X-men history and not others and I have no problem with this - however, the cartoon series is not the comics and there some differences between them that should be recognised. Storm and Rogue had the close connection in the cartoon but Storm and Jean had it in the comics just as an example.

He also clearly didn't care for gambit and wrote him out (in heroic fashion) as soon as he could in favour of nightcrawler (a character I like) but without him the team doesn't feel like the cartoon x-men because he brought the levity in the tense moments. His treatment of Rogue and Gambit as a couple did not feel honest to the show and felt artifical to drive up tension.

Maybe it's a Disney mandate to sell more toys but the constant costume changes for no story reason is lame. When Jean put on her original marvel girl costume in the phoenix saga and had that moment with cyclops it meant something. Here they all seem to be wearing fan (or Beau's) favourite version of the costumes just because.

Morph has lost his identity in a bid to make him a paragon of modern diversity. Previously he always had a mischievous smile and cracked jokes and had a super distinctive voice and laugh. But now he has that blank face from age of apocalypse so they can visually show that they are non-binary but this has morphed into their only character trait being that of a blank slate. His fighting style and powers are all over the place, before he was similar to Mystique - relying on stealth or intimidation by mimicking others. Now he can be anyone and seemingly has their powers.

Nightcrawler can teleport the whole team to muir Island inside magneto's base - was that from the blackbird or Westchester? In either case it's too far with too many people to accomplish. I feel that powers are becoming less defined and there is a general power creep in favour of spectacle.

Everyone is praising the writing but I don't think that's really fair. The storylines from the comics that Beau is using are not his to accept praise for, he is merely borrowing them from other writers. When he writes you can see his weakness. In the latest episode cyclops takes out the professor giving up the team's advantage over magneto ending in disaster because the other team were not ready yet. Why not just yell at Xavier to hold Magneto still until they were ready. Why is cyclops even here anyway and not leading the other team with his son and wife against sinister who has terrorised his family? Especially when we know that cyclops' power is super effective against sinister. Who is even leading that sub-team... is it even made clear?

My final complaint is that too many major storylines from the comics are being smashed together as quickly as possible with no time to breathe. No time for a moment for Storm to acknowledge Gambit's death or speak to Rogue? No time for Rogue to question why Storm abandoned them or ask how long she has been powered up again and why she wasn't in the fight until Xavier called her? Lots of potential for character drama.

In addition, Magneto must have killed thousands of people by turning off the electricity (planes falling out of the sky etc.). An irredeemable move and one that world governments would seek to retaliate against him for (or the Avengers?). But its the x-men alone who have the capability to face him. Bastion has turned how many people into living Sentinels? That's horrific body horror and would shock the world. Who is really in control. Despite all this it feels like there are very little stakes.

The show looks great but it doesn't really feel like a true continuation of the original cartoon to me. More a miss mash of the parts of the comics that Beau likes made to fit into the existing cartoon.

He also clearly didn't care for gambit and wrote him out (in heroic fashion) as soon as he could in favour of nightcrawler (a character I like) but without him the team doesn't feel like the cartoon x-men because he brought the levity in the tense moments.

Gee, I didn't even consider that. I guess everyone has their own character likes and dislikes that they carried from youth. Like how Timm & Co. got Barbara and Bruce to...well...let's just forget about that.

In addition, Magneto must have killed thousands of people by turning off the electricity (planes falling out of the sky etc.). An irredeemable move and one that world governments would seek to retaliate against him for (or the Avengers?).

The Avengers won't be able to help. Cap's probably still looking for his shield :D

What was jarring for me was that they completely glossed over everyone’s reaction to Xavier being back they just cut to a scene of all of them together as if he was never gone to begin with.

That stuck out to me.

I get where Bravo is coming from they are really rushing thru plot points but it’s actually working for me this time out because of shows like Bad Batch where they dragged their feet with the plot so it’s refreshing to get something at this fast pace it’s made it a fun action romp.

He also clearly didn't care for gambit and wrote him out (in heroic fashion) as soon as he could in favour of nightcrawler (a character I like) but without him the team doesn't feel like the cartoon x-men because he brought the levity in the tense moments. His treatment of Rogue and Gambit as a couple did not feel honest to the show and felt artifical to drive up tension.
I don't see that as being the case. If he killed anyone else you could argue the same point. Gambits death seems to be being used to set up something else. This is no longer a kids show, it has stakes, people die. He treated the character well imo.
Maybe it's a Disney mandate to sell more toys but the constant costume changes for no story reason is lame. When Jean put on her original marvel girl costume in the phoenix saga and had that moment with cyclops it meant something. Here they all seem to be wearing fan (or Beau's) favourite version of the costumes just because.
What do you mean constant? They've all had one "new" costume.
Morph has lost his identity in a bid to make him a paragon of modern diversity. Previously he always had a mischievous smile and cracked jokes and had a super distinctive voice and laugh.
He literally still does that multiple times in this series?
Everyone is praising the writing but I don't think that's really fair. The storylines from the comics that Beau is using are not his to accept praise for, he is merely borrowing them from other writers.
Just because he didn't create the stories doesn't mean can't be credited for implementing them well.
The show looks great but it doesn't really feel like a true continuation of the original cartoon to me. More a miss mash of the parts of the comics that Beau likes made to fit into the existing cartoon.
Well, it both is and it isn't. The original series ended.
What was jarring for me was that they completely glossed over everyone’s reaction to Xavier being back they just cut to a scene of all of them together as if he was never gone to begin with.
Doesn't really matter to me, he wasn't dead and they knew he left.
I get where Bravo is coming from they are really rushing thru plot points but it’s actually working for me this time out because of shows like Bad Batch where they dragged their feet with the plot so it’s refreshing to get something at this fast pace it’s made it a fun action romp.
It doesn't even feel rushed to me tbh, they're in dire circumstances and all under extreme stress and pressure. Events are unfolding at such an alarming rate that even the characters are struggling to keep up. Seems deliberate to me.

This episode shocked me to my bones, I think you know that scene I'm referring to. I've never seen anything more brutal in my life when

Spoiler Spoiler:

This episode shocked me to my bones, I think you know what I mean, I've never seen anything more brutal in my life when

Spoiler Spoiler:
Wolverine: Let's go get Magneto

Everyone: Your bones are literally metal

Wolverine: I'm gonna kill him

*Later that day*

Wolverine: MY BONES, AHH MY BONES

Back