1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did they think there would be zero issues with these? This scenario should have been addressed with Hot Toys prior to pre-orders going up.

Now the waiting game to find out how they will handle my QC issue. :impatient:

I'm not happy that this is happening on such an awesome collectible but I am glad that it is happening to many other collectors. This will make SSC understand that it is a bigger issue than just one person nit picking. I definitely think it is the shield that did this although I'm am not sure how. I got one and all the pads were in place so perhaps the rubbing of shield's pad during shipping???

Anyways, here are some more photos of my damage to compare with others so that they can make a full case to SSC or whomever they ordered from that this is not a fluke or nitpicking.

Best of luck to all that got their vehicle damaged :pray:. I will update what SSC's decision is when I received their reply...it better be fair and good :pfft:

Yeah sounds like they didn't already have a defective item/returns plan in place before it shipped. And now that it has and they're faced with the issue for this large piece, they're scrambling to figure out what to do. Has SS never shipped something this big before? You'd think they'd already have a plan in place for how to deal with returns on large items, and how to eat the cost on shipping or pass it on to the manufacturer who screwed up on QC.

They've shipped 1/2 scale before.

I'm sure there are long standing contracts, agreements and refund policies with other companies on how to handle defects.

Yeah sounds like they didn't already have a defective item/returns plan in place before it shipped. And now that it has and they're faced with the issue for this large piece, they're scrambling to figure out what to do. Has SS never shipped something this big before? You'd think they'd already have a plan in place for how to deal with returns on large items, and how to eat the cost on shipping or pass it on to the manufacturer who screwed up on QC.

They must have something in place because the T-800 1:1 statue is much bigger than this and even comes in many other big boxes so they must have a plan on big items...I hoping.:pray:

Now the waiting game to find out how they will handle my QC issue. :impatient:

I'm not happy that this is happening on such an awesome collectible but I am glad that it is happening to many other collectors. This will make SSC understand that it is a bigger issue than just one person nit picking. I definitely think it is the shield that did this although I'm am not sure how. I got one and all the pads were in place so perhaps the rubbing of shield's pad during shipping???

Anyways, here are some more photos of my damage to compare with others so that they can make a full case to SSC or whomever they ordered from that this is not a fluke or nitpicking.

Best of luck to all that got their vehicle damaged :pray:. I will update what SSC's decision is when I received their reply...it better be fair and good :pfft:

LOL, did you just say you're happy that other collectors received a damaged car like yours just so SSC doesn't think you're being nitpicky. :slap

Last edited:

You would think HT eats some of the QC related costs SS has to eat when things like this happen, right? I mean, they are the exclusive distributor, so some sort of contract agreement must be set in place. SS distributes to all U.S stores that carry HT, so they are also liable for returns say, to BBTS...
As huge as this piece is, I can see how this could become a nightmare real quick, and if its widespread then I wouldn't want to be working as a SS CSR.

Such a shame that all the excitement for this piece has now turned into fear about what condition it will be in when it arrives. :(

Recent history shows that they're more inclined to offer a $30-50 credit over replacing a statue. They did that on the Obi-Wan Mythos. Hopefully that was an isolated incident and they do this one properly because I'd really like to order one.

They were the manufacturer of that piece though, right? Dunno why they wouldn't just exchange it especially since it's their product and they still have it in stock.

I can see why they're wary of completely replacing a large item like the Batmobile that they didn't produce and only distribute. Basically once the HT seal is broken, (and especially since it's not "their" product in the first place) they can't just fix the defective piece and resell it back to someone else or send it back to the original customer. It would be above and beyond of SS to ship out a brand new Batmobile free of charge in exchange for the return/destruction of the defective one, but that's basically a ~$600 -$700 loss for them (depending on what they pay wholesale for them to HT). It can get expensive fast depending on how many returns they get. Hot Toys basically has to step up and pay up to make this right for both SS and the customer.

LOL, did you just say you're happy that other collectors received a damaged car just like yours so that SSC doesn't think you're hust heing nitpicky. :slap

I know it sounds weird and I would never want something to happen to other collectors' collectibles, but the fact that many other collectors are having QC issues too makes it a big enough problem for the companies to understand that this is not nitpicking; also, it provides data that there is a problem that must be delt with before they send anymore batches of problem items. Does that make sense?
Nope, I am glad many people are getting mint ones and I wish I was one of those but for those that did not we must make our voices heard.

Did not mean to disrespect anyone out there, my apologies if anyone felt that way.:1-1:

Sincerely,

Max Power

I'm with Max Power on this. For the price paid, it's only fair for you to receive the goods in mint condition. So yeah, make your voice heard mate. HT (and SS) is out of order if they think they can sell a collectible with QC issues especially at that price.

They were the manufacturer of that piece though, right? Dunno why they wouldn't just exchange it especially since it's their product and they still have it in stock.

I can see why they're wary of completely replacing a large item like the Batmobile that they didn't produce and only distribute. Basically once the HT seal is broken, (and especially since it's not "their" product in the first place) they can't just fix the defective piece and resell it back to someone else or send it back to the original customer. It would be above and beyond of SS to ship out a brand new Batmobile free of charge in exchange for the return/destruction of the defective one, but that's basically a ~$600 -$700 loss for them (depending on what they pay wholesale for them to HT). It can get expensive fast depending on how many returns they get. Hot Toys basically has to step up and pay up to make this right for both SS and the customer.

You are correct DM, but i'm sure there are agreements already in place on how to handle these problems.

There's insurance involved in all of this.

Last edited:
I already have headache think about return this if there is a issue, how am I gonna fit the package in my car.....

I'm not happy that this is happening on such an awesome collectible but I am glad that it is happening to many other collectors.

No, you don't want to be glad about that happening. Trust me.

They could easily throw their hands up in the air and say, "well, they're all like that, that's how they come, no new replacements".

We wouldn't want that. That's why if they claim that, I'll direct them to this thread on here with folks that have bought from them and don't have the problem. And besides, I think I'm the only one with the nicked up cocoon wheels (so far). If those are none issues to them, I'll fall back on my loose *** passenger seat.

I'm with Max Power on this. For the price paid, it's only fair for you to receive the goods in mint condition. So yeah, make your voice heard mate. HT (and SS) is out of order if they think they can sell a collectible with QC issues especially at that price.

It's something they have been dealing with for years. Look at all of the rubber cracking issues on Hot Toys Batmans and Aliens? QC has always been an issue for both companies. This is something that should have been addressed at the R&D stage. I'm sure Hot Toys thought something as innocuous as foam padding wouldn't hurt the surface of the paint but never really tested it to see what long term affects and shipping overseas would have on it.

So how many people actually have damaged Batmobiles? I think I counted 4 total (one of which just had a little glue residue on the circular window).

It still seems like most people are getting good ones. I don't think folks need to panic just yet. Hopefully Sideshow will help everyone out that have received damaged ones. I would be heartbroken too if mine was all dinged up. It really takes the steam out of it.

It's something they have been dealing with for years. Look at all of the rubber cracking issues on Hot Toys Batmans and Aliens? QC has always been an issue for both companies. This is something that should have been addressed at the R&D stage. I'm sure Hot Toys thought something as innocuous as foam padding wouldn't hurt the surface of the paint but never really tested it to see what long term affects and shipping overseas would have on it.

As far as the damage to the car itself, in DiFabio's case it seems it's not the foam padding that damaged it as much as it is the lack of certain foam padding pieces. The R&D was fine, a properly padded shield shouldn't scuff up against the car because it never even should come in direct contact with it. It's the QC that failed to make sure all the required foam pieces were there.

As for the damage to the outer shield wheels themselves, that's another matter. They weren't wrapped in the plastic protective film like the rest of the shield. Could've been damaged during shipping, or even before.

On another topic. Just weighed myself with and without the Batmobile and shield (and batteries installed) in my arms and the difference is about 20lbs--but I think my scale might be off because it felt like it should be a little heavier. Wow, 26lbs worth of packaging for a 20lb product, we need more advanced packing tech.

The foam padding is definitely causing scuff marks on mine. They weren't there when I first opened mine.

First Tumbler all over again with the paint rubs from the packaging.

Second Tumbler release went much better, only a few with wheels that had come off.

Back