Xbox HD DVD Player!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but you can't use that cable since it would have to be plugged into the same slot the VGA cable would be plugged into. On my brother's Elite it came with the optical audio cable which could be placed into the slot that the regular component cable would be using and then that would allow you to use the HDMI cable for video. But that doesn't help if you've got the Xbox without the HDMI for the video output.

I didn't buy my first DVD player until 1999 after The Matrix DVD was released. I probably won't commit to an HD player until either a clear cut format winner is declared or the LOTR trilogy is announced. Star Wars would do it too but I'm sure Lucas will wait 4-5 years at least.

I'm trying to decide between picking up the HD DVD ($199) drive for my Xbox or the Toshiba HD-A20 ($299 at CC with five free movies). Does the xbox drive lose any of it's quality going through USB to the 360? How well does the remote work with the 360? Can you turn the unit on and off with the remote? Any suggestions?

It doesn't loose any quality by using the USB cable. I don't know about the remote control though.

But the Toshiba with the five free movies is about equal to getting the Xbox HD-DVD player with five movies, so just choose which every is better. I don't know about the Toshiba player though.

My 360 VGA cable has a built in optical audio output and I use it to send the signal to my audio receiver. The VGA cable is required to get 1080p with the HD drive, I believe--I was under the impression that the component connection will give 1080p with games but not HD DVDs. Or maybe it's more a problem with sets accepting 1080p over component. It's all confusing to me. But I know that I am getting 1080p via VGA and also the ability to send the 5.1 audio out via the optical connection.

And the HD drive is on when the 360 is on--you don't need to (or get to) turn it on and off separately. When you turn the unit off with the remote, the HD player shuts off as well. You can also use it to open the HD drive via the dashboard control panel, but the eject button on the remote will only open the drive on the 360.

My copy of the Matrix set (as well as Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima) have been out for delivery on the UPS truck since 6:05 this morning and have yet to be delivered.

tomandshell said:
My 360 VGA cable has a built in optical audio output and I use it to send the signal to my audio receiver...

That's what I thought. But, upon thinking about this further, I may just sell my HD Drive and get a stand alone Toshiba HD player or just not bother for now. I still haven't got any movies other than the King Kong HDDVD it came with and no one around here rents HD movies yet. But I really should have a HD option to watch Planet Earth. :confused: :eek:

The other problem with bringing the 360 to the 62" TV is that it's the main unit. The 44" with the XBox is in my basement rec room where I can play Gears of War in peace. LOL

I just came from a tech symposium and the impression I got from listening to some "experts" is that HDMI is not necessarily better (or worse) than Component, especially in long runs.

In regards to the XBox 360 output, I don't think it matters to my TV that the output is 1080i because it takes that signal and deinterlaces it anyway to provide a 1080p picture.

Thoughts?

PS. I'm no expert. :eek:

Interlacing is a method of compression, P for progressive has full frames rather than interlacing so it's got better quality, and a larger file size. When a TV places interlaced footage it deinterlaces it, but it still won't be as good as progressive. HDMI is the only cable that can output 1080p, Component can only do up to 1080i, and then there's VGA which can do even more than 1080p.

I don't have a high end 62" TV. And although it takes a 1080p signal, I think it interlaces it to 1080i and then deinterlaces it back to 1080p. So if the initial signal is 1080i I'm saving a step. Does that sound right?

ATTENTION!!!! all 360 owners that have not bought the HD player yet need to run to Circuit City and buy one. they are offering two free movies with the purchase of a hd player. so including Kong that comes bundled with the drive you get 3 movies in total for $199 plus tax.

hairlesswookiee said:
don't forget you can buy one of these and run it on your PC/ Home Theater system!!! im getting another one this week once i get paid.

I was going to use mine for my PC but I need to upgrade my video card to get it to work.

Last edited:
That is awesome. I was getting ready to go out tomorrow and buy one. Looks like I will have to wait until next week!!

Just for all us HD fanboys, price drops are usually not a sign that a side is winning the war.

Just for all us HD fanboys, price drops are usually not a sign that a side is winning the war.

yeah but its for the 360 add on so it doesn't directly affect the format war. it's really something that MS is doing to get some add-ons sold. the PS3 dropped their price by $100 so in return MS is dropping the 360 prices by $50 and now the add on by $20 to counter sony.

Well, if you think about it, you're getting an HD-DVD player for $40 plus 5 movies, which is an extremely good deal. And while this isn't a killing blow in the format war, think of this: There are 1.5 million Blu-ray players in the US, 1.4 million of them are PS3's, so there's only 100,000 people who bought a standalone player; for HD-DVD there are 300,000, 150,000 of which are the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon drive, which means that this drive is a big deal and the lower cost and movies deal will help that alot.

Back