Xbox HD DVD Player!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nash said:
cool gonna have to get that on the ray.

any word yet on a hi-def LOTR box set transfer?

With Dreamworks officialy jumping into HD land with their upcoming release of Dreadgirls, I think that New Line is officially the last studio left that hasn't announced an upcoming release on HD DVD or Blu-ray. They have a few titles that are expected to be revealed as their first wave (LOTR not amongst them), but that still hasn't happened. I am not expecting LOTR this year by any means.

i'm still hoping that LOTR comes out in a super HD box set with many features that haven't been released yet. this way i won't feel too bad when i have to buy the set for the third time.

hairlesswookiee said:
i'm still hoping that LOTR comes out in a super HD box set with many features that haven't been released yet. this way i won't feel too bad when i have to buy the set for the third time.

It definitely will and they have confirmed that there are many special features (bloopers and outtakes, tons of additional deleted scenes, the special end of production wrap party videos made for each actor's departure) that they have been specifically holding back in order to make the HD release special. So far, they have not duplicated special features in any of the three releases, and the fourth HD release will continue to give us something we haven't seen before in the special features department--some of which I have been waiting a LONG time to see. You just know that there are tons of bloopers and this will really be the first time fans have been able to see them.

May 22nd is starting to look pretty expensive.

On that Tuesday, I will be getting the big Matrix boxed set on HD DVD, as well as Flags of our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, both also on HD DVD, and both the first two Pirates movies on Blu-ray. If they make one more high def announcement for that day my wife is going to kill me.

tomandshell said:
May 22nd is starting to look pretty expensive.

On that Tuesday, I will be getting the big Matrix boxed set on HD DVD, as well as Flags of our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, both also on HD DVD, and both the first two Pirates movies on Blu-ray. If they make one more high def announcement for that day my wife is going to kill me.

OK, my wife is going to kill me. Apocalypto is coming out on Blu-ray on the 22nd as well...

I just noticed that the HD DVD version of the BBC documentary series "Planet Earth" is currently the #8 best selling DVD at Amazon. I am frankly surprised that a $70 HD DVD boxed set is in the top ten at Amazon, but I guess it shows that more people are buying into the high def formats than I realized. The Blu-ray version of "Planet Earth" is currently at #18. For an expensive boxed set available in two opposing next gen formats, it seems to be selling extremely well.

I ordered mine (HD DVD for me) and I can't wait to watch it. I have heard very good things about it.

I can't wait to be able to play the new HD formats. But I'm going to wait until I can get a dual-format player at a reasonable price. Unless the Blu-Ray drives get cheap enough then I could get both for a pretty good price.

tomandshell said:
I just noticed that the HD DVD version of the BBC documentary series "Planet Earth" is currently the #8 best selling DVD at Amazon. I am frankly surprised that a $70 HD DVD boxed set is in the top ten at Amazon, but I guess it shows that more people are buying into the high def formats than I realized. The Blu-ray version of "Planet Earth" is currently at #18. For an expensive boxed set available in two opposing next gen formats, it seems to be selling extremely well.

I ordered mine (HD DVD for me) and I can't wait to watch it. I have heard very good things about it.

Ordered the HD DVD version from Amazon myself. Actually ended up being $63 shipped w/ discount (the 10% discount that got if ordered enough movies around xmas time)

I am really looking forward to it. I've been recording them of of DSCHD, but quality should be a bit better and am interested in the BBC version with narration by David Attenborough (+extra footage)

i just got back from moviestop again today and got some new movies as well as some sad news for me.
add to my list:
Constantine
Payback: Sraight Up Director's Cut ----DO NOT BUY.... THIS VERSION SUCKS
Smokin Aces!!!

and i also found out that the matrix hd box set has been pushed back to an indefinite date this summer.... and i DON'T recommend buying the payback director's cut. its not that the movie is bad, its just that for $30 you only get the director's cut. for that much money they could've at least have both versions of the movie so that you can watch the regular if you want.

Smokin Aces, heh, I really didn't like that movie, but I still need to get an HD-DVD player. It's making me sad to have the horrible 720x480 DVD's, I want some 1920x1080!

But perhaps later, I don't have the money right now. But I am planning on buying the Xbox 360 Elite, so perhaps I'll get the HD-DVD drive addon as well.

quick question that maybe someone here might know. i recently moved the 360 and the hd drive back into the living room. what i want to know is:
why the hell can't you set the HD drive as the default drive?? i hate having to back out from the movie to the main xbox dashboard to open the drive with the remote. especially when you have a game or another movie in the main drive.

For the price I thought about buying an Xbox 360 for a HD DVD player until I found out that it cost another 200 bucks in addition of the Xbox and on top of that it has no HDMI output (how anyone even thought of doing that with a high deff device I have no idea) and it doesn't support 1080P.

So I passed and bought a Toshiba HD-A20 and love the hell out of it.

Jesseawilson said:
For the price I thought about buying an Xbox 360 for a HD DVD player until I found out that it cost another 200 bucks in addition of the Xbox and on top of that it has no HDMI output (how anyone even thought of doing that with a high deff device I have no idea) and it doesn't support 1080P.

Good move. The 360 addon does not put out as good as a picture as the Toshiba units either.

Jesseawilson said:

The new 360 Elite does offer HDMI output, but if you already own a 360 that doesn't help you. (I am still trying to convince the wife that we should upgrade to the Elite, both for the HDMI connection and the 120 gig hard drive.)

But even if you don't have the Elite, you can definitely get 1080p on the 360 if you have the proper connection (VGA for me). In my case, I have both the 360 add on and a Toshiba stand alone HD DVD player (HD-A1)--and the Toshiba doesn't support 1080p but the 360 does.

tomandshell said:
...But even if you don't have the Elite, you can definitely get 1080p on the 360 if you have the proper connection (VGA for me)...

Is the VGA cable any better for a 44" 720P TV? Should I switch from the component HD cable I'm currently using?

Option 2: If I switch from the 44" 720p TV to the 62" 1080p TV do I...

a) keep the 360 with Component HD Cables?
b) switch to the VGA HD cable?
c) sell it and buy the Elite with HDMI?

hairlesswookiee said:
I got the ULTIMATE MATRIX COLLECTION on hd dvd yesterday!!! woo hoo!!! im gonna watch them all this weekend.
:chew

Mine came from Amazon today :rock :rock :rock

Fritz said:
Is the VGA cable any better for a 44" 720P TV? Should I switch from the component HD cable I'm currently using?

Option 2: If I switch from the 44" 720p TV to the 62" 1080p TV do I...

a) keep the 360 with Component HD Cables?
b) switch to the VGA HD cable?
c) sell it and buy the Elite with HDMI?

If you're going to switch to the 62" with 1080p and you don't want to buy the Elite, then get the VGA cable, they'll be able to do 1080p I believe, since all video over VGA is progressive and you should be able to put the resolution at 1920x1080. But the audio won't be as good since it will change it to the regular stereo outputs.

Back