Kobe Bryant: TRADE ME

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hot off the wire from an ESPN radio interview.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kobe Bryant asked to be traded from the Lakers on Wednesday, a day after calling the team's front office "a mess." He said there was nothing the Lakers could do to change his mind.

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant told ESPN radio. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative. It's rough man, but I don't see how you can rebuild that trust. I just don't know how you can move forward in that type of situation."

Bryant, who helped the Lakers win three consecutive NBA championships, has four years left on the seven-year, $136.4 million contract he signed July 15, 2004. That was a day after Shaquille O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat.

Bryant became infuriated Tuesday when a Los Angeles Times columnist quoted what he called a Lakers insider as saying it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from O'Neal that prompted the trade to Miami.

Bryant, the NBA's leading scorer the past two seasons, said he spoke with Phil Jackson on Tuesday, and the coach told him he was being let go because the Lakers were committed to reducing payroll and rebuilding long term.

"They said nothing to me about a long-term plan — absolutely nothing," Bryant told KLAC radio, the Lakers' flagship station. "They told Phil one thing and they told me another. Actions speak louder than words."

"It's a trust thing," he added. "They're in a long-term plan that I had no idea about."

The Lakers and Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press.

Bryant, an 11-year veteran who turns 29 in August, urged the team at season's end to do what it takes to get back into contention. He essentially repeated those comments last weekend in an interview with the Los Angeles Times.

On Tuesday, Bryant did a series of radio interviews bashing the Lakers. He contended owner Jerry Buss misled him three years ago, saying the team would try immediately to rejoin the NBA's elite.

"That place is a mess," Bryant said, referring to the Lakers' front office. "If we're not making strides here to improve this team right now, to be aggressive in that nature, then what's the point of having me here?"

The 74-year-old Buss was arrested Tuesday in Carlsbad for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol. He was released later in the day.

Bryant earned $17.72 million last season and is owed $88.6 million over the next four years. He can terminate his contract following the 2008-09 season — a move that would leave $47.8 million on the table.

By requesting a trade, Bryant would obviously waive his no-trade clause, but he has a trade clause in his contract that is believed to add about $13 million to his total contract value, a cost to be absorbed by any team that acquires him.

That money would be paid like a signing bonus and would not count toward the salary cap. The Lakers had to pay a similar fee to Lamar Odom when they acquired him from Miami three years ago, paying him about $8 million.
--------------------------------------------------------

We have many serious NBA fans here and some serious Laker fans as well. Any reaction or comments?

Chicago stations are already asking what the Bulls would have to give up in order to get him because the Bulls are allegedly on his short list of teams.

He sure would fit in with the thugs on the Spurs. They could have Bowen on one side stepping under defenders while Kobe is on the other flailing his arms about. All the while Tim Duncan would be looking on with his bug eyed "what foul" expression. :lol :lol :lol

Even the Lakers' star player doesnt like them.

:lol < LOL!! to Bodie

This is what happens when you keep talkin trash. Karma baby :D

the vampire with soul said:
We Should have kept Shaq and trade Kobe Three years ago.:monkey2 :monkey2

YES !!!!!!! I've been saying that to my buddies every since they traded Shaq, they traded the wrong person. Guess the idiots at the Lakers from office know it now.

*sighs*

Nothing to see here folks.. Keep walking on by..

This is Kobe playing strongball to get some new blood in there.. He is saying either makes some trades or trade me.. The result of this will be many trades, yet none including Kobe..

And sorry folks but Shaq is literally at the twilight of his career..

Our chemistry is passive.. New blood is needed..

well if the Lakers end up trading Kobe, then his statments rang true. THeir front office IS a mess :rotfl

Bodie The Cursed said:
*sighs*

Nothing to see here folks.. Keep walking on by..

This is Kobe playing strongball to get some new blood in there.. He is saying either makes some trades or trade me.. The result of this will be many trades, yet none including Kobe...

Our chemistry is passive.. New blood is needed..
Exactly, it'll never happen. Expect big moves this summer, but none of them involving Kobe. IF (and that's a BIG if) a deal were to happen, the teams involved would have to give up waaaay too much to land him, thus making him un-trade-able. Changes will be made and this will blow over, he's not going anywhere.

Bodie The Cursed said:
25 Years ago Magic Johnson demanded to be traded as well to get rid of Coach Westhead..

If we can keep Kobe, Lamar and Turiaf I'd be happy.. Rest can go..
True!

If we can keep those three, I'd be happy as well!

Kobe is the only player in the NBA with a no-trade clause.

That means he gets to veto any trade to a team he doesn't like.

So, for example, if Kobe says "I only want to go to the Chicago Bulls," the Lakers either have to eat his salary or reach an agreement with the Bulls.

I'm not sure if I want him on the Bulls or not. Though it would help our cause in winning it all.

jlcmsu said:
I'm not sure if I want him on the Bulls or not. Though it would help our cause in winning it all.

You dont have to worry about that as he now said he doesnt want to go anywhere.. He said he talked to Phil who settled him down..

Bodie The Cursed said:
You dont have to worry about that as he now said he doesnt want to go anywhere..

Not according to the podcast I heard today. He said flat out he wants traded.

jlcmsu said:

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Bulls fan. If we could get Kobe without having to gut the team (i.e. trading Deng AND Gordon AND the #9 pick in the draft, I'd be all for it.)

If there's a bidding war, I dunno if Kobe comes here, but if Paxson could swing a Gordon/S&T Nocioni/S&T Sweetney/Duhon/Khryapa/#9 pick trade for Kobe and the Lakers first round pick, I'd do backflips.

(before someone talks about how horrid Sweetney is, I know. You'd have to sign and trade him for a deal with only one guaranteed year. If the Lakers coulf get him to drop some weight, he'd be a good backup PF)

Who cares, he makes millions upon millions for playing a game. He should just be happy to be able to say that.

I hate professional athletes. They are such cry babies.

Back