Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol That's the worst part. The well-I-need-this logic.

Getting rid of the 1/6th stuff would be hard enough, but I can't imagine going through all the 3inch figures from all the various movies I've collected since 1990. It would take months to just sort. Ugh... just thinking about it.

Sometimes I think I should just take it all to a Children's Hospital and give it all away. I'd feel so good afterward. I think.

I always chuckle when I think back to 2005, my wife at the time and I were newlyweds, no kids, so I bought dozens of ROTS carded figures and boxed vehicles to keep in case we had a son since that was the "last" time a new Star Wars movie would be released with toys, lol. Then in 2006 we had a daughter, in 2008 I noticed that toy stores were still fully stacked with new SW toys so I just sold all the ROTS figures and vehicles in bulk for a couple hundred bucks to a guy on ebay. Wonder if he still has 'em, lol.

2010 we did have a son who is now 9 and only cares about Nerf guns, video games, and legos. :lol

I always chuckle when I think back to 2005, my wife at the time and I were newlyweds, no kids, so I bought dozens of ROTS carded figures and boxed vehicles to keep in case we had a son since that was the "last" time a new Star Wars movie would be released with toys, lol. Then in 2006 we had a daughter, in 2008 I noticed that toy stores were still fully stacked with new SW toys so I just sold all the ROTS figures and vehicles in bulk for a couple hundred bucks to a guy on ebay. Wonder if he still has 'em, lol.

2010 we did have a son who is now 9 and only cares about Nerf guns, video games, and legos. :lol

Wow. He has interest in several things that don't solely exist on a screen? That's a big step up on my kids.:lol

Neither Jabba set is perfect, they each have some features you wish the other had. Overall this new one looks like an improvement over the first, but by no means devalues the original, and while cost today is relative to the overall market, I feel the original was a better overall return on investment.

View attachment 439540

Old sculpt with new paint would be a home run. The only sculpt issue I have with the original is his hands not really being made to hold items he came with.

Anyone out there still repainting the old slug? Mine is looking ghostly....

Anyone out there still repainting the old slug? Mine is looking ghostly....

I started to recently, but it wasn't going as well as I hoped and expected. This is one of those painting projects that'll take so much time and patience for me to get right that I decided to just put it off for a while. But, here's a before-and-after shot of where I got so far with some basic layers. The colors will have to be much richer/deeper, and the blending will need a lot of work. Ugh.

JabbaBefore&After01a.jpg

I started to recently, but it wasn't going as well as I hoped and expected. This is one of those painting projects that'll take so much time and patience for me to get right that I decided to just put it off for a while. But, here's a before-and-after shot of where I got so far with some basic layers. The colors will have to be much richer/deeper, and the blending will need a lot of work. Ugh.

View attachment 439573

Looks almost a bit sunburnt maybe, but it's looking a whole lot better than you seem to think! As you say, I think it just needs some blending and also maybe his belly needs to have less green. And maybe make the orange a touch less bright (but not by much.) Making the belly more orange than green will make the face seem less standout orange-ish.

Even just what you've done so far really shows off how great the sculpt is. I still think that Jabba sculpt is one of the best 1/6 SW sculpts ever done. Crappy paint and rotocast lightness aside, to me the upper body 100% nails Jabba's look, even more so than the hasbro 6" Jabba (which is quite nice) or even the new Sideshow one.

Did you strip the original paint or wipe the figure with rubbing alcohol or anything before starting the repaint, or did you just start painting?

Even in 2007 the sculpt blew me away, getting Jabba sculpted correctly seems to pose a challenge because a quality sculpt is hard to come by. Black Series Jabba and the new Sideshow tie for 2nd best.

...but seeing it next to the new one makes it look very small. Especially the tail.
I have the old one (not the throne unfortunately) and thought I was content... but seeing the new one now... the scale is pretty important. I might consider getting it.

I hope Sideshow revisits Bib Fortuna and a Gamorrean Guard, at least. Oola would be cool, too... but I’m not going to hold my breath.

...but seeing it next to the new one makes it look very small. Especially the tail.

That too has always bothered me. This new one is more correct in scale. Though I also prefer the turned tail of the old one.

An amalgam of the two would be perfect. Which is what I always assumed HT would give us if they ever tried making this piece of worm-ridden filth.

Yeah this thing looked correctly and satisfyingly huge in that video. I'm curious to hear from people who get it if it feels cheap when handled. This isn't really an action figure, it's a 1/6 statue with swap out parts.

The battle of the slugs:

25939312147_e4a2270dac_o.png

I've no idea when Jabba will get to UK retailers, but I'm pretty happy I secured him over here for Sideshow retail price, without the additional 25% tax and duty. :horror

That too has always bothered me. This new one is more correct in scale. Though I also prefer the turned tail of the old one.

An amalgam of the two would be perfect. Which is what I always assumed HT would give us if they ever tried making this piece of worm-ridden filth.

The possibility of Hot Toys eventually doing this is a tough hurdle to clear, especially now that it's been proven that they will directly compete against each other. All past markers indicate Hot Toys will be superior and probably cheaper....if they make it.

Also the curled tail definitely looks better than the straight one.

The tail on the new one just looks unappealing, it looks like a prop left out, the slight wrap on the original gives it a little life.

Yeah, and the tail hanging out like that is only in two shots, from behind Jabba.

Too bad they couldn't figure out a way to make the tail poseable.

HT will.

Back