SSC Voltron: Defender of the Universe Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Voltron: Defenders of the Universe Maquette

I gotta say, this whole "smaller can't be more expensive" argument is laughable at best. Its like questioning why a Porshe is more expensive than a Mustang, because the Mustang is bigger! One word: DETAILS.

Are you guys really oblivious to the final detail work? Just check out the comparison to the 'almighty' Galactus maquette:

The fine detail and depth of the torso:
2m47p77.jpg

And the crotch:
1zoi6hw.jpg

The hands are not even a question. Voltron has such fine detail, where the other is a single color with no inner detail:
2yl1q45.jpg

And the legs/feet just even further this justification:
308b11j.jpg

This new Voltron has such fine details not only in the paint application, but in the mold itself. The others are more or less flat outer dimensional pieces, whereas this new one has intricate inner details within the outer shell of the mold...in the hands, feet, legs, crotch, torso, head, etc. The details are so fine that it actually looks like it has articulation. That can't be said about the others. Theres a big difference of being painted to appear having depth, to actually having depth.

You haters are nuts.

That drawing would be an awesome gift with the maquette..

Yeah i already pre-order the voltron ,not expecting more than what they announced.

Now that the price shock is starting to wear off, I cant wait to get this mutha fudga home! Do we really have to wait a whole year? :gah:

I gotta say, this whole "smaller can't be more expensive" argument is laughable at best. Its like questioning why a Porshe is more expensive than a Mustang, because the Mustang is bigger! One word: DETAILS.

Are you guys really oblivious to the final detail work? Just check out the comparison to the 'almighty' Galactus maquette:

The fine detail and depth of the torso:

And the crotch:

The hands are not even a question. Voltron has such fine detail, where the other is a single color

And the legs/feet just even further

This new Voltron has such fine details not only in the paint application, but in the mold itself. The others are more or less flat outer dimensional pieces, whereas this new one has intricate inner details within the outer shell of the mold...in the hands, feet, legs, crotch, torso, head, etc. The details are so fine that it actually looks like it has articulation. That can't be said about the others. Theres a big difference of being painted to appear having depth, to actually having depth.

You haters are nuts.

You know that's just the proto right?

Nice, but no way in hell giving SSC that kind of money before on hand pics.

There is no way in hell the final piece will look like the proto, I know, but I just need to see how it differs... specially if they are charging Prime 1 (proven quality) kind of $$$

Last edited:

That's what I said its detail is way finer than anything in that price range it's being compared to. It really does appear it can be taken apart and similar in detail to the Prime 1 Optimus. That Optimus is insane and proven but I know the final will be as good if not better than the proto.

Vader and Fett looked just fine so why would the final Voltrol digress.

I suppose this is all speculation till we are 1 year older and wiser lol but again about the features I personally think that base will light up. Maybe not the statue although a few ideas I have would be great. I truly think Voltrons base as well as Rens and the NO Troopers bases will light up. Right or wrong it's just my thoughts.

Where SS seems to mess up production piece-wise are skin tones and eyeballs. Im not too worried about a big solid colored robot. Battle damage I dont know... but Im expecting this should come out pretty close to the proto.

Where SS seems to mess up production piece-wise are skin tones and eyeballs. Im not too worried about a big solid colored robot. Battle damage I dont know... but Im expecting this should come out pretty close to the proto.

That battle damage looks PERFECT on the Proto. I'm 99% it will not look anything like it once it's done.

I'll eat my words of it does, but doubt it.

galactus would cost much more if they released him today...and in my opinion, it has little to do with the cost to manufacture him.

Thanks for the link. Those are awesome. Binged through the series this weekend and really liked it.

Mugatu, I grabbed that one as well. haha nice choice. these prints rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Glad I could share the Voltron love. Some really great prints. Hard to only buy a few.

Why would SS give us double rewards AND $20 shipping?? Do they love us or something?
Very cool move on SS's part.
I wonder how long until they drop the 2X rewards?

To be honest, I was a little skeptical about the changes to the design in this Sideshow version of Voltron when I first saw it, however it does grow on you and looks very detailed. As realistic as a statue should. I am however more disappointed in the new cartoon even though the animation and acting is pretty awesome for what it is however to me something is just missing and I knew right away what it was. The Voltron theme song is simply not there in any form and even though that is not a big deal to most, it is a huge part of what makes the show special to me. Furthermore, this was the major complaint in the last reboot for which they corrected a little too late in the season. Voltron to me is not Voltron without the famous song playing when Voltron forms. I guess what I'll have to do is edit the entire series in i-movie just for myself adding the song and the old intro :) I know I will enjoy the series so much better that way. As far as this Sideshow statue, I wish I could justify the price at the moment. $800 would have been the most I could have afforded as flex pay.

Last edited:
Back