What are you listening to?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stern has been a supporter of that band for awhile now. I think they are tremendous, and suffered from not being something record companies could easily package as falling within one category of music or another. Their distinctiveness hurt them, I think.

They always fell under the "Goth Rock" label for me, but they're probably more Rock than Goth these days.

Recently I've come to the realization that Joel may be the second greatest pop singer/songwriter of all time, just behind Lennon and McCartney. The breadth and depth of his work, and the staggering number of hits, really make him stand out. You could maybe make an argument for the Rolling Stones, the Eagles, Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, or Paul Simon, but Joel is a special talent.

They always fell under the "Goth Rock" label for me, but they're probably more Rock than Goth these days.
I can see that, though I think of Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus, and Sisters of Mercy as goth rock. To me, the Cult are mostly straight ahead rock. Distant cousins with something like the Smithereens. They had a kind of hair band look, but not completely. So they didn't really fit in with, say, an AC/DC or a Motley Crue. And the singer didn't have the looks of an Axel Rose or Joe Elliott that would have made it easier to transcend categories. All this reinforces my point, I think. In any case, some great music from those guys.

Back