1/6 DID NS80175 U.S. Civil War Union Army Lieutenant – John Dunbar (Kevin Costner, Dances with Wolves)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DID has made accessory packs including dogs for certain figures - General Patton's Willie, Hans-Joachim Marseille's Beagle and the Feldgendarme's German Shepherd.

Wonder if they'll do one for Dunbar with the wolf, Two Socks? They could add his kepi, striped shirt and neckerchief.
Two socks at Play, my thoughts too. I reckon DID shall deliver.

You have nailed Mr Costner, fine work.

I reckon Mr Costner may appreciate your work and possibly grant a license.. The Kevin Costner Legacy Collection has a good ring to it.

This is the first time I've known a sculptor to be attached to a DID release. Don't know if this is his first for them, or whether he'll be doing more.

I think this came out looking good and it's great to see a figure from this film. Preordered from OSK.

Unfortunately this now has me hoping to see Hawkeye from Last of Mohicans, which may turn out to be setting myself up for disappointment!

That looks incredible. Will definitely be getting it.

I pray one day they make Western figures, there are so many options.

I need Bullock from Deadwood.
View attachment 701079View attachment 701080View attachment 701081

Bullock from Deadwood would be awesome. Although I'd probably prefer the younger version from the show instead of the movie version.

But the idea of a consistent western line, not based on one single movie but on the great performances would be a dream come true!

Rooster Cogburn, Laboeuf and Lucky Ned Pepper from True Grit (2010) would be instant purchases.

Rooster Cogburn, Laboeuf and Lucky Ned Pepper from True Grit (2010) would be instant purchases.

s-l1600 (37).jpg

I met a couple of guys during some way long ago Weekend Of Heroes shows who had armfuls of 1/6th Civil War / Revolutionary War stuff. They would grab anything they could get, even SOTW stuff. They said items were so scarce, you just bought everything you could ( prices were so much more forgiving back then, though IIRC, Civil War stuff still held a premium against the average WW2 or modern cost) and figured it all out later. I met another guy who was from overseas, and he pointed out he was just in town by chance for something else, and this was one of those rare moments where he could load up ( shipping was no where near as brutal as today, but many dealers/individual traders and private sellers didn't want to ship overseas, etc) because that was his best chance. Sometimes I forget how some subniches are so scarce for collectors in that vein.

I'd love to see some 2010 True Grit figures. This is also one of the subniches in our hobby where I don't think using 1/12 would do it justice. Which is kind of the bane here. You'd get higher potential to get more characters in 1/12th, but you might not get the kind of detail needed to really make the figures work overall.

From the DID Official Private Group:

Darren Douglas
I like it, and it’s great to see something different but I agree the oversize hat to fit over the hair lets it down a little and looks too shiny and plastic. Still tempted but I’ll have to display without the hat, which is a shame considering the quality overall
12 h

Howard Cheung
Admin
Darren Douglas No worries, the final production hat will fit perfectly.

Someone's also asked on that page, and also DID's public page, to add a third button to the shell jacket cuffs to make it accurate for an officer's uniform.

In the film the prop uniform only had two buttons, so at the moment it's another case of DID choosing movie accuracy.

vlcsnap-2024-05-05-15h46m42s284.png

Last edited:
Dances with Wolves...Kicking Bird, played by Graham Greene.

Unlikely but nothing ventured nothing gained.

My best guess is if this sells well, DID might consider an "Indian version" of Dunbar. In the tribal type gear. Also IIRC, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but Dunbar arms his tribe by the end of the movie. So technically, that figure could come with a Sharps rifle.

That's the nutty thing about our hobby, if a movie character picks up a weapon just once, or is in a scene where it's clearly "their weapon" even for a second, now it's justified to be used in a figure set. It's why IMHO merchandising for stuff like The Eternals, Wakanda Forever, Shang Chi, Rebel Moon, etc, etc, was all destined to fail. All Wakanda Forever needed was a one minute scene with 7 different kinds of prototype suits/armor/power armor/weapons, to justify figures that would actually fly off shelves. This is where George Lucas excelled. He understood if he just added a 2 minute scene, with an array of stuff, that it would be like printing money for merchandising if it was cool stuff.

What's even more compelling IMHO is a Daniel Day Lewis from Last Of The Mohicans or Mel Gibson from The Patriot. Both have scenes where they are handling a ton of weapons. DDL is literally dual wielding muskets, firing, dropping them and picking new ones up. A DID LOTM set could justify DDL with 6 rifles that way. Old RAH GI Joe showed the way. If you want to sell these sets, because let's be fair, this niche has not really sold well across the modern span of our hobby in aggregate, then fill the sets with lots of guns. The licensed sets, I get the limitations if the character didn't hold them, but name a box set you've passed over but might have been reconsidered if they added in 6 more rifles into it. Even if they downgraded some of the weapons and they were mostly static molds without the wood and metal to just complement the main functional/wood/metal weapon.

I'm not here to rip DID obviously, I'm just saying, if you know you are in a genre that had typically struggled to sell figures, then curate them/load them up in way that makes them more marketable. Who here could not use more Henry's, Sharps, muskets, flintlocks, Colts, etc, etc in our stash? I know I come from the "Put a shoulder mounted rocket launcher with every figure" camp, but I can't be the only one who feels this way. Just some thoughts.

Last of The Mohicans is one of the most criminally underrated films ever. That's one of the things I do enjoy about the films in this era/range, there is no way to patch over things with lots of special effects, Tinder thots or gimmicks. You just need solid fundamental gritty storytelling.

Everyone I've seen this movie with has said the same thing during the above scene. That "she's too hot to die!" :lol( i.e. Jodhi May as Alice, she was truly stunning there) So much conveyed without words. Which is what makes many of these genre films into classics.

I have never seen dances with wolves...worth a shot?

I think the. kC sculpt is nice.

Definitely worth a watch... or two.

The figure announcement prompted me to rewatch it. Since the extended version is almost four hours long I split it over two nights.

It's one of those movies that still had an intermission in the middle. Under the "Intermission" title there's an image of a peace pipe, which struck me as funny because it could be taken as a sign for a cigarette break for smokers.

Back