1/6 Hot Toys Luke Skywalker - Dark Empire (Legends)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really not sure that OT Star Wars lends itself well to the doll wig idea. It'd be pretty much impossible with Leia - just too tight of a hairstyle across ANH, ESB and ROTJ (except Ewok village, which would be a great choice for Artisan hair, though no one would buy it.)

Han's hair often looks slightly unrealistic hard sculpted, let alone trying to match those very specific, at times funky and gravity-defying, hair looks with Artisan producted wool locks.

Ben and Gandalf is an interesting comparison via InArt, but Gandalf has more of the medieval homeless guy long beard and hair, Ben's beard and hair would be far tougher to match, even if a mini-rug for Alec Guinness's hair would be screen accurate.

I was really happy to grab this. I made use of 10 devices at work to hopefully get a good spot in line...one by one they popped up and the spots were mostly in the 5,000s. One of them was in the low 2,000s!! But the very last device took an extra 30 seconds to get assigned a spot. It was, no exaggeration, a device I managed to get signed into as the waiting room timer hit 7 seconds. The very last device I got and the last device assigned a spot in line and it was 115. Got extremely lucky.

Really not sure that OT Star Wars lends itself well to the doll wig idea. It'd be pretty much impossible with Leia - just too tight of a hairstyle across ANH, ESB and ROTJ (except Ewok village, which would be a great choice for Artisan hair, though no one would buy it.)

Han's hair often looks slightly unrealistic hard sculpted, let alone trying to match those very specific, at times funky and gravity-defying, hair looks with Artisan producted wool locks.

Ben and Gandalf is an interesting comparison via InArt, but Gandalf has more of the medieval homeless guy long beard and hair, Ben's beard and hair would be far tougher to match, even if a mini-rug for Alec Guinness's hair would be screen accurate.
You're not wrong. Any figure that tries to do Leia's buns in some sort of rooted hair they end up being almost comically large. The last Leia thing I bought with rooted hair was the Disney Elite Premiums. Her Hoth one from the limited edition wasn't TERRIBLE, but it certainly wasn't good. But the ANH again was just super large on her head. Obviously those are far from premium like Hot Toys, but I see the same problem from people who spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to make customs. Is it do-able to a degree that it looks passable? Maybe. But I don't think they'd come out great. I expect we'll eventually see it. I'm sure they're toying with it. That figure is beyond ready for a 2.0, but we'll see. I actually think ewol village Leia would sell great. I also think Slave Leia would be do-able in Artisan and would sell insanely well. But who knows if "Hutt Slayer" Leia will ever get let out of Disney Jail

Chewbacca
I already have an Artisan Chewbacca. Even came with a comb. :lol

Obviously the improvement we'd like to see on any new Chewie isn't better quality fur - which to me is pretty decent (in color and texture) and surprsingly style-able - but better face sculpt and the way the fur is actually affixed to/around that sculpt.

The face is where the HT Chewie kinda fell apart, though some are definitely better than others, which would likely be an issue with Artisan edition. It would just be sooo much more work/complexity for a HT factory to produce Artisan Chewie heads vs Artisan Luke/Ani heads.

Got in just to see the cost. Thought about ordering one just cause but decided against it. No point in putting down a PO/NRD for something I really don't want. I already have the one version of Luke I want on my shelf and will only change if they make a real 2.0 ROTJ version

Which Luke is that? Got a pic?

You mean you got Chewbacca's darker cousin, Chewblacca.

I also have a Chewblacca... looks like a shadow behind Han on the shelf.
Again, to me that's more about the face/head. They used the darker toned fur for the entire face when they should have used the lighter toned fur.

To me overall the body is only slightly too dark. The face is lost in kind of a black hole of fur however where the eyes and nose are not clearly visible from a certain distance.

Well mine is too dark overall. The face is another issue. The first ANH was the the best Chewie HT ever did, but its far from a good representation of the character.

It needs to be redone desperately... but HT will never do it.

Which Luke is that? Got a pic?
It’s nothing too special. Deluxe MMS517 ROTJ Luke with DX23 Mando Luke head and hands. I have the cloak and display base from the original MMS release as well as the bone he used in the Rancor pit from the original sideshow release. Pretty much everything I need for all his looks in ROTJ. I also picked up the black cloak from DX23 Luke to sort of recreate his Mando scene

Curious

You sound like you were teetering on the edge there.

Decision made. Think you'll regret it?

Genuinely curious.
Nope, won’t regret it. I have no ties to this look and Luke isn’t my favorite OT character. Only reason to want it would be the “limited” nature of the artisan which wasn’t enough for me to pull the trigger. There’s other stuff I actually want/will want to spend the $400+ on

Nope, won’t regret it. I have no ties to this look and Luke isn’t my favorite OT character. Only reason to want it would be the “limited” nature of the artisan which wasn’t enough for me to pull the trigger. There’s other stuff I actually want/will want to spend the $400+ on
I guess I don't consider HT as a bar to top in terms of rooted hair. All companies fumble here and there but this particular feature is clearly difficult for them at any sense of mass production anyone may have.

Art, takes time.

Well mine is too dark overall. The face is another issue. The first ANH was the the best Chewie HT ever did, but its far from a good representation of the character.

It needs to be redone desperately... but HT will never do it.
I have three HT Chewies and long planned to post a side-by-side pic because they are pretty different to each other. They're just all so deeply enmeshed in displays (SW, ESB and ROTJ dios or displays) that I never got around to it.

My ANH display one has a noticeably darker face and overall appearance than the others. When I had a close look - beyond the puffs of paint - it seemed like the fur fabric was an uneven mix of lighter and darker fibers so just depended on what area of the fabric roll your Chewie figure got.

xmas_special_wookie.gif

I didn’t check my email today until after I got to work at 7:00pm EST. Clicked the link got right in and added the special edition to my cart. I secured my Dark Emo “Bully McGuire” Luke.

Last edited:
So far I'd say only Joker and captain Jack fits the "artisan" tag, maybe also Wanda. They got new and elaborate costumes with really good sculpts, where Anakin and to a degree this is just new sculpt with reused materials and costumes. This one was by far the easiest pass even though I love the comic.

After having a night to mull over the Artisan loss yesterday... I am kind of feeling like I dodged a bullet.

-I really don't want to get in the habit of buying an Artisan and a regular version of every release. Going after Anakin made sense since there was no other version. But this one didn't really. I was just going after it out of a "collect them all" mentality and not because I thought it looked better than the regular. So missing this should break that habit before it begins.

-The cost is honestly astronomical for what you get. I wasn't even looking at it as I tried to speed through checkout... but an extra $150 for doll hair? Yikes. Even worse- I am part of a shop that carries Hot Toys so I get mine at wholesale. That means I was spending like $250 more on the Artisan than I am the regular. That is a whole other figure.

-I have over 200 1/6 Star Wars. None of them currently have wool hair (Anakin Artisan will be the exception and will be posed with clones so as not to stand out). So any wool hair releases I try to fudge in to the display may look out of place. Why opt for that if I don't have to?

Is this a bit of "tell myself I didn't want it because I missed it"? Maybe. But maybe not... I guess time will tell.

-James

Back