4th Doctor's brown coat (Dr Who)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikkitx

Freaked Out
Reaction score
4drbrown02.jpg
4drbrown03.jpg

Just some quick pics to show off an outfit I've been wanting to sew for ages, since it's my favorite of the Fourth Doctor's various outfits.

I made the frock coat by converting a historical pattern to 1:6 scale, so all the seams and other elements should look fairly close to the 1:1 version. My attempts to make fabric-covered buttons haven't been successful yet, so the coat currently lacks buttons on the front and back. I made the cravat by modifying a pattern for a tie. I made the vest, shirt, and trousers using a pattern for doll clothes from Vogue or Butterick.

I bought the scarf from Simply Treasures. The headsculpt is from Ada Chan (for now). I don't know which figure donated the shoes.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I forgot to post the link earlier, but I have pics of a few more Fourth Doctor outfits, like the red jacket from "Robot" and the gray coat from "City of Death" on my website (plus various other Doctors, companions, and other custom projects).

Inkeddalek: Great TARDIS and scarves in your posts! And I love your Dalek tat.

Barlow and Rick: Good to know y'all liked it, since you're each getting one just like it in trade. And well, I try to improve my patterns and sewing techniques with each new outfit, so that eats up a lot of time too. Thanks for being so patient.

the grey coat from the six gun legends figure of doc holliday when modified makes a great 4th doctor coat...thats what i did for mine and its the best iv seen...you really cant beat billyb`s head sculpt of tom though...much better than adas! :D

SewingWIP.jpg

Just for grins, a picture of the brown coat as a WIP. This should help to explain why seamstresses so rarely post WIP pics or updates. A WIP looks like a random pile of fabric, or an exploded velvet starfish, or anything and everything but a coat. If you're really bored at work, feel free to try to identity which bits are which.

4thDocApprove01.jpg
4dr2.jpg

As morethanatimelord pointed out, the Doc Holiday coat does make a good starting point for someone willing and able to make the necessary modifications. Here's a quick guide for folks wanting to customize a Doc Holiday coat into their own 4th Doctor's gray coat. I provided some pics of my the 4th Doc's gray coat that I made from scratch as a visual reference.

Obviously, the Doc Holiday coat needs to be shortened to approximately knee length. The current buttons need to be repositioned and new buttons added, since the Doc Holiday coat is single-breasted instead of double-breasted. I haven't seen a view of the back of the Doc Holiday coat to see if buttons need to be added there. Piping definitely needs to be added to the cuffs and along the front edges. Again, I haven't seen a view of the back of the Doc Holiday coat to see if the underside of the collar is gray with black piping like the 4th Doctor's coat, so I don't know if you'll have to change the underside of the collar or not. I didn't see any pocket flaps on the Doc Holiday coat, so you might have to add those. Even if the Doc Holiday coat already has pocket flaps, you'll still need to add piping along the edges of the pocket flaps. Once those basic modifications are done, the Doc Holiday coat will look a lot more like the 4th Doctor's coat.

It's amazing what that girl can do with some fabric and thread.
Cheers Vikki.
Jay

Back