Annoyance about B/S/T etiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should a pending deal be honored if a buyer is willing?

• Go in the order of the PM's and honor it.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Go with the best offer you get.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
So is it just me, or would you guys think it wrong to have a deal ready to go then the seller back out because they got a "better" offer? Happened to me lately and, I dunno, just REALLY annoyed about that.

Re: Annoyance about B/S/T ettiqute

So is it just me, or would you guys think it wrong to have a deal ready to go then the seller back out because they got a "better" offer?

I find it more annoying when people say they want something. Ask if they can pay you in a few days. Then a few days comes and goes and no payment and no response from said buyer. Yeah thats annoying. :lecture

Same scenario: Would you think it was wrong to have a deal ready to go then the buyer backs out because they found a "better" deal?

Works both ways. That's life. Unless there's a written contract between both people or like EBay which states when you bid on something that's considered your contract/intent to buy, there's not much you can really do about it. It's like the swap meet: until money actually changes hands there's no deal. Regardless of how much bargaining and discussion there is.

BUT..

If you paid for something and that seller already had your money and THEN got a better offer and decided to just refund your payment..

OR..

If a Buyer paid for something and after you already had the money and were getting ready to ship the item they asked for a refund because they found a better deal..

THAT would be down right shady imo.

As the buyer, I would be very annoyed. If we have a deal pending and the seller learns they can get a few more $$$ from someone else they should be cool enough to honor the original deal and not be greedy.

However, if I'm the seller and I have a pending deal, but learn from the seller they need to back out as they found a better deal I would be understanding. Money is tight, so if you can get something cheaper more power to you.

GB and I are on the same page. I sent a PM back saying I'd take the item just need shipping costs then get a PM saying "oh well someone else wants it as part of a lot". To me, it's unfair because I was ready to pay but whatever, I just found someone NOT to do business with. I'm at the point where 1/6 stuff really isn't "fun" anymore. I was there a few months ago but Im back to that point again. I may actually end up going all HT, back to smaller scales, up to life sized, who knows. God I need my meds :lol

Both are BS.

If the buyer sends a PM to offer $X and seller PMs "deal", thats a verbal committment. If either party backs out following that, I think they deserve a neutral or a negative.

Edit: Memnoch, If I understand right, the seller didn't actually confirm it was going to you? Or did he?

If he didn't, then I think its fair to not have to go first come first serve.

Also, personally, I think its fair if two people pm'd me offers and I liked the second person better than the first person, its fair to sell to the second person, however, once I tell someone "its yours" or "deal" or whatever, then I consider it as a promise not to be broken.

Last edited:

I think nothing is set in stone until money has parted hands. It is annoying and not exactly good etiquette, but I don't think its wrong per se.

oh, I didn't even notice that. I noticed the red line under my own spelling and just corrected it. :lol

Well Ill go with the fact I have neither glass nor contacts in and say I didn't notice any red lines anywhere, ever :lol

I don't think its wrong unless money has actually changed hands, even so if the seller can refund you for a better deal. By the way I have never done this. Don't want to sound greedy but isn't it the seller's best interest to try and make as much money as they can. I mean times are hard and normally sellers on these sites sell for less than then the item is worth anyways, so if they can get a better deal why not go for it.

On the otherside, I have had interested buyers who say they want the item and never get back to me. Its annoying but 100% understandable. Like I said times are tough and it is alot of money to spend. Sometimes you want something but then something that you want more becomes available so you go for that instead.

Some sellers go by policy first interested party gets the item, some don't...

Man, I really think you guys are giving a free pass. To me, backing out of a deal is unacceptable. Didn't like the deal, shouldn't have commit to it.

If I was in dire need of money and had to do the gur wrenching thing of selling my collection, you can bet that only the person offering the most, regardless of orders in which the PMs were received, is the one that would get the item. Now if I agreed to sell it to someone and then I got someone offering substantially more... I think as long as the seller came clean about it IMMEDIATELY and explained exactly what was going on, then they have done nothing to warrant a neutral. No one wants to be left hanging on a guess.

Man, I really think you guys are giving a free pass. To me, backing out of a deal is unacceptable. Didn't like the deal, shouldn't have commit to it.

Agreed. No backing out of deals and agreed prices.
Unless a seller or buyer has done something to turn the other off from the transaction.
No canceling on transactions because other better offers come in. That is so unethical

My thinking is this: You cannot regard a PM as a binding contract since the board takes no responsibility for any transactions which members make and any PM is a part of the board (and technically owned by the board). Therefore any evidence of agreement made on the board is nil UNTIL money has changed hands. Then it becomes a matter of whatever financial institutions the money is passing through, whose business it very much is.

Therefore, no binding contract between buyer and seller until money has been transacted.

I agree with you about it not necessarily warranting a neutral or negative... but it is still bad etiquette for a seller to back out of a deal, IMO.

Back