Assassin's Creed 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Assassin's Creed 3 announced

It is worth continuing. I struggled initally with it.
The 2nd half the story picks up a lot.

I hated the STUPID tower defense mini-games.....TOTALLY ruined part of the game for me and made me lose momentum as I was playing.

Went to GameStop today to pick up Mass Effect 3 and pre-order AC3. Was surprised they gave you steel case as soon as you pre-ordered. it's pretty nice too.

Front:
IMAG0679.jpg

Back:
IMAG0680.jpg

The inside:
IMAG0681.jpg

And the cool little flyer it comes with:
IMAG0682.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I thought they would give it when the game came out.

Yup. I think it's because Amazon doesn't want to ship twice. But, it's weird that they'll have to keep the steel books in their warehouse for an entire seven months until the game gets released.

It's available now through Gamestop, and on the 10th for Best Buy.

Got my steel book case yesterday at Best Buy so not sure about the 10th part of your post.

I got my steel book today and the sale guy gave me this little flyer that was given to the GS employees.

43bbe82e.jpg

6fb9ef70.jpg

207c203c.jpg

First, how could I not realize that the art was done by Alex Ross? Second, I wonder what other kinds of cool stuff GS will be getting after E3?

Pre-ordered today, and received my steelbook, can't wait to fill it on October 30th! :rock

Also, the fact that they commissioned Alex Ross (my favorite artist) to create this shows that they have good taste, making my excitement rise to a whole other level.

Just got the new issue of Game Informer. Didn't get an Alex Ross cover. :*( But I'm happy I got the Steelbox!

I skimmed through the AC3 section and will read it later in depth. It confirms a lot of the released information we already know. A few interesting tidbits:

-Once again you will play the character from the beginning of his life. There are sections where you will play him as a young Mohican child. I'm sure this leads up to the destruction of his village.
-He has somewhat of an antagonistic relationship with Charles Lee, who though is an American general, is also considered (both historically and within the game) as George Washington's rival. There is a screenshot of a young Lee pinning a young Connor against a tree, could be that Lee was part of the troops that destroyed Connor's tribe?
-Connor is not motivated by revenge, but by justice and seeking to destroy tyranny, which is likely why he has a close relationship with Washington and has a poor relationship with Lee, who one of the AC3 writers describe as the "better choice for Commander-in-Chief for the American army" but overall didn't get it historically because he often dressed disheveled, was gruff and described as somewhat rude, not well-spoken or poised, and overall wanted money for the position. His biggest advantage over Washington was that he was a more experienced general and was not interested in the political aspects. However, he was not awarded the position as Commander-in-Chief because of his less-desirable aspects, and because of that he holds a grudge against Washington during the American revolution. It seems that the Washington-Lee rivalry will also be another interesting plot device.
-Benjamin Franklin will not be a "cookie-cutter replacement" of Leonardo Da Vinci.
-There is artwork of Connor scaling a mountain. Aside from trees looks like higher terrain can be climbed?
-The game's environment takes place in-between the cities of Boston and New York and those cities are accessible.
-There will be a Fast Travel mechanism.
-The Truth will return in some new fashion, Ubisoft recognizes that fans love it.
-Ubisoft has been working on this game the past three years. Heavy work on it took place between ACB and ACR and essentially with the last few months left they are looking to tweak things and basically give us "AC3.5". They are looking where to improve and what they can do to make elements already there better.
-Native American voice actors were hired as the Mohican language is spoken in the game.
-You will get some sort of rewards for doing 100% full sync (which returns). Ubisoft wanted to add some incentive for fans to try and achieve 100%. There is also checkpoints that return so you don't always have to repeat the whole mission if you're going for 100%.
-Once again, you will get upgrades to both weapons and costume as the game progresses. No word if you can change the color on the "ultimate armor"! That was what I'd like to have!!!

Last edited:

Got more info!:

-"The Kingdom" Returns! Though this time known as "The Frontier". The space of wilderness spans between New York and Boston. Two major settlements on the Frontier are Lexington and Concord. There will be scatterings of other settlements around as well including Valley Forge where Washington's army is settled and even Connor's Mohawk village. The Frontier is roughly 1.5x the size of ACB's Rome.
-The landscape will alter as the story progresses. To show this, the landscape gets both covered in snow during the winter and then progresses into the summer. Also, due to the Revolutionary period, certain settlements may look destroyed or have "grown" more as time passes.

-Cities are described as even more vibrant than Rome, Florence, Constantinople, etc. There's newscaller boys, dogs and animals in the streets, open windows (with open buildings?) etc.

-Horses are back! There are several shots of Connor on horseback both in cities and out in the wilderness. It is possible he may even be able to shoot arrows while on horseback.

-Connor is better, faster, stronger! Etc. etc. Kidding! The character was described as having around a thousand brand new animations JUST for him. He moves differently than Ezio, more predatory and hunter-like. He also moves differently in the summer than he does through the snow. His fight style is described as more "aggressive" and that Ubisoft is developing the fights to encourage the player to be more forward as opposed to the "wait and counter" mechanics that dominated AC2,ACB and ACR. Also new is that while free-running, Connor is now more interactive with the environment than Ezio. He will slide under objects and even jump across moving wagons as they pass along the street. There was even the description of him running through an open building so they might have some limited open buildings.

-Assassinate and keep moving! There is a description of how now you can assassinate and keep running. Instead of the momentary "freeze" after each kill in the other AC games, Connor will be able to pounce on his victims, kill, and then keep running in seemingly one fluid motion.

-Part of the reason for Connor's mixed heritage (English, white father and Mohawk Native American mother) is to keep him distant from the overwhelming American Revolutionary conflict. He is from both worlds but also really doesn't belong to either. Obviously, Connor's ancestral attachment to Altair and Ezio comes from his British father. When compared speech-wise to Ezio's boisterous style and Altair's stoic nature, Connor is described as more "thoughtful and intense".

-Assassin brothers? Anybody? Looks like you may be a lone wolf once again. There is little information regarding any additional assassins and whether there is even a "Call" mechanic like in ACB and ACR. Ubisoft mentions there might be something, but doesn't go beyond that.

-Tower Defense is gone.

-The various factions (Thieves, Mercs, Courtesans, etc.) are gone but there will be something similar.

-There is a description of being able to join certain "clubs". Perhaps this is similar to the factions that used to be. For example, if you are hunting a lot with bow & arrow, you will eventually be approached by a NPC who asks you to join his hunting society. This may build into several challenges, etc.

-The economy system is different and a focal point seems to be on hunting and selling animal pelts. Pelts can either get you more money depending on how you killed the animal. For example, a bear killed with one arrow with have considerably "less damage" to its pelt than one that was marauder'ed with a tomahawk and knife. Though I'm sure you can get cash other ways as well, this one is described the most. Animals plainly mentioned are bears, deers, and wolves.

-Ubisoft mentions their AC "Anvil" Engine is vastly upgraded for this game. They can animate up to a thousand characters on-screen at once. Perhaps the rumors of assassinating during a giant battle are true.

-The cinematic scenes are described as "better and more realistic". Ubisoft reemphasizes that the game is about Connor's journey and the overall Assassins vs. Templar conflict. The American Revolution and its battles are just a backdrop to all that. They once again reiterate what we've heard about both Americans and British can be both Assassins and Templars ("good guys and bad guys") and that there will be a better emphasis on the Templars' belief that they REALLY believe they are saving the world as well, they just believe that they need to control it in order to save it.

-Desmond is awake from his coma. The ending events of ACR had Desmond and his crew arriving in New York City. Hence, a reasoning why they visit Desmond's Revolutionary ancestor because of his connection with the city during a critical time. The "modern day" events of AC3 take place during "real time" in the last few months of 2012 which seem to hint at a worldwide catastrophe about to take place.

-The Animus 3.0 also debuts. Subject 16 is gone but may be mentioned here or there. Shaun Hastings, the modern-day British assassin is mentioned as being able to bring some witty and funny comments to the British perspective on the American Revolution.

-No real discussion on multiplayer. Though the XBox.com description of the game mentions four player co-op? Hmmmm...

-Ubisoft seems to channel this game more closely to the American fanbase as one of the executives in the article mentions that this is OUR history. They also state that it's easier to diagnose and understand all the historical figures because the records on them are much more clearer and distinct. They know where Washington was on which day in which month in which year thanks to the historical records kept from this time period.

Last edited:

-"The Kingdom" Returns! Though this time known as "The Frontier". The space of wilderness spans between New York and Boston. Two major settlements on the Frontier are Lexington and Concord. There will be scatterings of other settlements around as well including Valley Forge where Washington's army is settled and even Connor's Mohawk village. The Frontier is roughly 1.5x the size of ACB's Rome.
-The landscape will alter as the story progresses. To show this, the landscape gets both covered in snow during the winter and then progresses into the summer. Also, due to the Revolutionary period, certain settlements may look destroyed or have "grown" more as time passes.

Nice, i love seasons passing in games

-Assassinate and keep moving! There is a description of how now you can assassinate and keep running. Instead of the momentary "freeze" after each kill in the other AC games, Connor will be able to pounce on his victims, kill, and then keep running in seemingly one fluid motion.

They seem to be making a big emphasis on Speed and motion

When compared speech-wise to Ezio's boisterous style and Altair's stoic nature, Connor is described as more "thoughtful and intense".

i got tired of somehwat cocky Ezio

-Tower Defense is gone.

:yess:

-The economy system is different and a focal point seems to be on hunting and selling animal pelts. Pelts can either get you more money depending on how you killed the animal. For example, a bear killed with one arrow with have considerably "less damage" to its pelt than one that was marauder'ed with a tomahawk and knife. Though I'm sure you can get cash other ways as well, this one is described the most. Animals plainly mentioned are bears, deers, and wolves.

This will be very cool, like RDR

-Ubisoft mentions their AC "Anvil" Engine is vastly upgraded for this game. They can animate up to a thousand characters on-screen at once. Perhaps the rumors of assassinating during a giant battle are true.

Very Cool

-The cinematic scenes are described as "better and more realistic". Ubisoft reemphasizes that the game is about Connor's journey and the overall Assassins vs. Templar conflict. The American Revolution and its battles are just a backdrop to all that. They once again reiterate what we've heard about both Americans and British can be both Assassins and Templars ("good guys and bad guys") and that there will be a better emphasis on the Templars' belief that they REALLY believe they are saving the world as well, they just believe that they need to control it in order to save it.

:clap Hope they keep it fair to both nations and not make it too black and white

-Ubisoft seems to channel this game more closely to the American fanbase as one of the executives in the article mentions that this is OUR history. They also state that it's easier to diagnose and understand all the historical figures because the records on them are much more clearer and distinct. They know where Washington was on which day in which month in which year thanks to the historical records kept from this time period.

:lol :lol Ubisoft are Canadian and Gameloft French one American executive does not make it their history :slap

This game is shaping up to be AC/Red Dead Redemption mix which is just fine by me.

I just called my local Gamestop and they said that they only had 3 steelbooks left.

They may get more, but I'm not going to take that chance. I'm going to head down in a few minutes to pick one up.

Yeah, I need to head to mine and do that. I can order it now online though if I wanted to.

Yeah, I need to head to mine and do that. I can order it now online though if I wanted to.

Make sure to call them first. I heard some places aren't doing the promotion and others are already out of stock of the steel book.

Got ya. I will do that. I mean I should be ok its a small town store but why wate the 45 mins roundtrip if I don't have to. :lol

Best buy has them too, I grabbed a preorder there , it cost me a whole $5.

The lady at my Gamestop was awesome, I pre-ordered the game and got my steel book. She had a copy of the AC3 GameInformer magazine on the counter that I was flipping through. She asked me if I had the magazine and I said no. So she gave it to me for free because I po'd the game! :yess:

Don't understand the need for the Steelbook ?

Won't Ubisoft release about 3 different levels of collector editions anyway?

Back