Building/3D printing a figure, and finding out how as i go along :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im pretty sure its the photo, the black "pupils" are inside, not on top of the glass. Although i guess it could be a tiny bit off, cant really see it on the actual eyes.
When looking at the real glass eyes, the entire piece is exact the same size as the black pupil part on my screen :) They are smaller then you might think!
And yeah here the color looks fine but there is alot of light falling into them. When thats not the case they are a bit darker.
If i manage to make a bunch of figures i can try to order these eyes with a custom slightly lighter yellow color but its not a big deal.

As for the hair, i think the holes would be made bigger then they need to be when i add them for printing so ill just drill them. I have some really tiny drill bits of .5 mm and up :)
Dont look forward to it tho, braiding and adding all those hairs one at a time, pfff. Hmmm have to find some tiny beads for that aswell..

Oh and yeah im thinking about the possibilities of printing in a higher quality.
A higher quality might be possible at shapeways (called frosted ultra detail) or print it whole or parts at a different company in even higher detail (then i could even add more detail to the figure).
Unfortunatly cost is an important issue for me aswell, i could end up making just one figure so atm i am calculating the cost like that aswell.

Anyway this gives an idea of the quality of the first print (head has been changed a little since then):
WP_20130823_012.jpg

Last edited:
Beads or use some styren tubes? And sand it to looks like beads? Like one tube=5 beads?

And well, she has many braids =D That need a lot of little girls :D They love braidings :D
Neytiri_zdj._miesi%C4%85ca.png

Haha dont remind me, i might just end up making the figure with a hair style like this, no braids or beads :)

zoe-salanda-neytiri.jpg

Try ask Greg Customs, bbkill, WGP( William Shatners Toupee) where they print their stuff and cost for it or Corrose(he has 3D printer), how many cost printing from him.

Try ask Greg Customs, bbkill, WGP( William Shatners Toupee) where they print their stuff and cost for it or Corrose(he has 3D printer), how many cost printing from him.

Dean from Creg customs actually contacted me with some tips a while ago, very nice of him to do so!
And i already had a price from one company for the whole figure printed in far higher detail.
Their prints are simply amazing. So detailed i could go back and add detail like wrikles etc. But the price is alot higher then shapeways.
If i was 100% certain of the figure and had 20-40 buyers that would be the way to go. However this isnt the case :)
I'm just going to give all the print options some thought..

@darthviper107 you can add a zero to your numbers just for the lowest quality. Printing an entire figure doesnt come cheap!

Thats also why i'm not to keen on making my print available for others.
You would simply pay full price for just the print (instead of a full figure) and the print could always need small mods to work perfectly.

Well did some more little fixes and added a bit of detail to the faces since i'll try to have those printed in a different material that should give a bit more detail.
Time to upload all the parts and see if my 10% off coupon still works :p

ney_figure_off_for_printing_by_fierox-d6s21rg.jpg

INCREDIBLE work!!!
Could you not print the beads too?

Thanks! and i wish! But they are below the minimum size.
In this print process the parts are printed out of powder, parts that small would get lost in the left over powder so they refuse things that small.

Thanks! and i wish! But they are below the minimum size.
In this print process the parts are printed out of powder, parts that small would get lost in the left over powder so they refuse things that small.

Is there no way you could add them onto something else like this so that the pieces dont get lost, and arent too small? -
JN_sprues_1.jpg

If not, maybe you could use an 'Evergreen Styrene Round Tube' like the other guy suggested.
Im not sure if they make tubes as small as you need though, because 2.4mm is the smallest tube they make.

Hmmm yeah, that could be a nice solution for small parts.
Something to keep in mind!
But anyway, i better get my figure printed and working first :)

Is there no way you could add them onto something else like this so that the pieces dont get lost, and arent too small? -

Hi all,

Been a while since the last update, but the first 3D printed parts finally arrived :)
In front of the image below a testfit of the new glass eye setup, seems to fit perfectly!
The faces didnt arrive yet, those are printed in a higher detail and are now in production.
All the stuff for molding and casting arrived aswell so i finally can get started!

WP_20131210_006.jpg

More updates soon :)

Wow, just getting caught up on this project... very impressive work! You appear to be our only hope in ever owning her in 1/6 :rock

Back