Collection End Game?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been soul searching the nearer I get to 50 years old and I have realized that once I hit 50 I will pretty much be done with collecting 1:6 figures. Most of the characters I love have been made. I have a hard time imagining myself sustaining the excitement from preorder to placement on my shelves. Beside the odd figure here and there, 50 is feeling like the right time for me to focus on doing things rather than collecting them.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Yeah , I'm 53, and they always pull me back in.

As a matter of fact, I have bought more this year than the past 4 years combined.

They have made quite a few of my grails now.
BUT
Thought I would never buy another Batman...but I did.

Never thought I would buy a Paul Atradies but I did.

Never thought I would replace my SS Deluxe Vader but I did.

Never thought we would see a Wez figure or Immortan Joe...

So , I doubt there is an end in sight, but I do limit myself to 5 detolfs.....So may be selling a few things in the future.

Buy very little so make sure you get what really really really moves you.

The less the better.

Big collections are cluttered and ugly.

You don’t need every Star Wars character ever made!
Very true my friend, less is more, the more you have the less you see. It is the temptation that many find difficult to contain. I can avoid everything except temptation.

Last edited:
I have been soul searching the nearer I get to 50 years old and I have realized that once I hit 50 I will pretty much be done with collecting 1:6 figures. Most of the characters I love have been made. I have a hard time imagining myself sustaining the excitement from preorder to placement on my shelves. Beside the odd figure here and there, 50 is feeling like the right time for me to focus on doing things rather than collecting them.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Legions, well certainly many I reckon. For me it is trying to keep a balance. Money, room, plastic, carbon foot print, unnecessary waste and where I am on the journey all play a part. While I have no plans to drop off this perch soon, far too wicked for that, I aware of where i am. I do not want to exit leaving others to sort out my stuff, neither do I want to still be waiting for outstanding pre orders.

Anyway it is a beautiful day on the East Coast, enjoy whatever collecting you choose.

Last edited:
Buy very little so make sure you get what really really really moves you.

The less the better.

Big collections are cluttered and ugly.

You don’t need every Star Wars character ever made!

I mean.. that's just your opinion. Big collections aren't cluttered and ugly to everyone. Just look at YouTube videos of those big collections and you can see a lot of people admire them and like them. Not everyone has to be a minimalist or adhere to that style.

Personally I would say once you run out of room you should begin getting rid of stuff you don't like anymore or that doesn't mean a lot to you.

I mean.. that's just your opinion. Big collections aren't cluttered and ugly to everyone. Just look at YouTube videos of those big collections and you can see a lot of people admire them and like them. Not everyone has to be a minimalist or adhere to that style.

Personally I would say once you run out of room you should begin getting rid of stuff you don't like anymore or that doesn't mean a lot to you.
I’ve seen even 1/3 scale collections over cluttered and like the above post said ever so eloquently…the more you have the less you see.

That being said I have seen super wealthy collectors with giant spaces properly space out their huge collections and those look nice but let me tell you those are far and few between.

Nothing beats 500 Marvel Legends action figures on just 2 shelves lol

Some while ago a member asked the question, If you could have only 5 figures what would they be. I have not been able to get this out of my head. I remain a work In progress, down to under 20 with 3 pre orders,. I can do better.

I have some thoughts on pre orders, but it is the way of things, maybe the tail wagging the dog. Anyway just a bit of fun which we all need.

Exactly. I like collections with lots to see and discover, different scales and such. A couple of detolfs with one 1/6 figure on each shelf gets a oh nice from me. But that's just my opinion.

Guys GUYS how quickly you assume my definition of a small collection as being the only definition of a small collection.

For some a small 1/3 scale collection is anything under 1,600 pieces.

Well it's all dependent on the size of your collection room isn't it. Some people have huge basements that are the footprint of their entire house which they can dedicate solely to their collections while some of us are limited to a single room within the house. I'm the latter and for too long I collected like as though I have the former.

Well it's all dependent on the size of your collection room isn't it. Some people have huge basements that are the footprint of their entire house which they can dedicate solely to their collections while some of us are limited to a single room within the house. I'm the latter and for too long I collected like as though I have the former.
most people can afford hobbies but not everyone has what it takes to maintain them. and having space to display and store them is part of the maintenance part.

rich people have tons of space, hire people to maintain and upkeep their collection. if something breaks they pay experts to fix or replace them. easy peasy.

I have so many figures. Some people say it's ugly and cluttered but when I sit in my chair I can see the faces of all the figures clear as day (which to me is the most important part). Sure, some are obscured by other figures but as long as I know I have the representation of the character in my room that makes me happy.

I think everyone's collection that is unique to them is awesome, it doesn't matter if it's one figure per detolf shelf or a crap load in a moducase, I just like seeing other people's collections.

But my collection endgame has arrived, as I am finally out of room. I did buy endgame Loki on sideshow for $150, even though I have no where to put it I'm happy to finally have a Loki in my collection. I do have the sideshow red Sonja and batgirl preordered and the prime 1 artgerm Wonder Woman on payment plan (but that one is going to my mom since I don't have room, she told me I can have it when she dies 🤣)

The collection end game for me is this $500+ Artisan crap. Today has officially pushed me to say "I'M OUT".
Once the last of my pre-orders ship, I'm done.
The lack of OT characters from Star Wars and the overprice doll market is making it easier for me too.

werk harder. clearly the doll makers have moved up in the society ladder while you are left behind.
The collection end game for me is this $500+ Artisan crap. Today has officially pushed me to say "I'M OUT".
Once the last of my pre-orders ship, I'm done.

Back