Did I ask for something unreasonable? Ebay related

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzaitree

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello, so I'm having ebay related problems again, they aren't big yet anyways, but let me hear what you think.

After a year of hiatus I decided to sell on Ebay again. Last night my auctions ended and for one of the items the buyers message me beforehand and told me he was in the same city as me and wanted to meet up if he wins my auction. And he did. When he won I told him cool, when and where he wanted to meet and how he wanted this to work. He said he wanted me to meet up near his buddy's workplace then he checks out the statue but then he uses paypal to pay me(I dunno how this would have worked, I guess he would've sent me the cash before the meetup? But anyways it didn't fall through). This immediately sent me a !?. He said that incase he found some damage he didn't notice before(I told him I would offer him infinite amount of time to inspect the statue until he was satisfied) or that it was fake - he would have something to fall back on, obviously this would leave me holding the bag and I was against it.

I told him Cash only and after a few convincing sentences he was all like cool story bro and he was willing to do it. Then I Told him alright so when we meetup since you bidded US currency due to Ebay he would have to pay the total converted in Canadian currency. Anyways the convertion rate isn't that bad anymore I think it was only like 60 bucks more? Then after that message he snapped and told me I just wanted the extra bucks and how he was saving me time,fees, and blah blah and he only saved shipping which was gas to meet up. Anyways go figure :slap In the end he told me to just send through parcel even though we're like 1 hour and a half away from each other.

I don't know but it seems like this guy will end up causing me more trouble than this is all worth which is why I wanted to meet up with the guy but he wouldn't do it anymore

So thats my story was what I asked that unreasonable?

Yea I have a bad feeling about this too, the meetup would've been a breeze yet he wants to be charged more, wait longer and jump through loops after a easy request(which I told i would skip and forget about because he was being so bitter about it)

If your auction was set up for Canadian dollars, shouldn't it have converted the correct amount in USD automatically? Whenever I look at auctions from other countries, it usually tells me the cost in the currency it's selling in and below that is show the price in USD so I would know exactly how much the item would cost when I bidded. I'm not sure I follow everything you're talking saying.

It was set up for US actually as it was done in Ebay.com. Unless you log into Ebay.ca it doesn't convert it by itself. But when you request a payment you can set it all up in one currency and the final amount is given to the buyer. The total final amount that he would've paid online anyways was what I wanted in person

If your auction was set up for Canadian dollars, shouldn't it have converted the correct amount in USD automatically? Whenever I look at auctions from other countries, it usually tells me the cost in the currency it's selling in and below that is show the price in USD so I would know exactly how much the item would cost when I bidded. I'm not sure I follow everything you're talking saying.

Nope that was not stated but the auction clearly shows bidding is at U.S funds

It was set up for US actually as it was done in Ebay.com. So that little converted amount was what I wanted him to pay - but he was against it.

Oh, I think I got it. Yeah, he should pay you the exact cost of the auction. Are you saying, for example, that if he won it for $100 U.S., he wanted to pay $100 Canadian and didn't take the conversion factor into account? If so, I'd say that this guy is probably big trouble and is going to cause you a huge headache if you continue to deal with him.

You're in a tight spot. There's not much you can do other than to file the item as unpaid and ask to mutually cancel the transaction with the buyer. Something tells me he probably won't go for that.

Sellers have absolutely no power whatsoever on ebay. If somebody wants to screw you over for something, they can do it very easily unfortunately. You can't even leave negative feedback.

Oh, I think I got it. Yeah, he should pay you the exact cost of the auction. Are you saying, for example, that if he won it for $100 U.S., he wanted to pay $100 Canadian and didn't take the conversion factor into account? If so, I'd say that this guy is probably big trouble and is going to cause you a huge headache if you continue to deal with him.

You're in a tight spot. There's not much you can do other than to file the item as unpaid and ask to mutually cancel the transaction with the buyer. Something tells me he probably won't go for that.

Yea thats exactly what happened.

I don't think he would be the type to agree to a mutual cancelation. :gah:

I'd be inclined to accept the money in US$ through ebay. You'll have his address and phone number, so then I'd offer to deliver it in person to his door. Take your camera and get a pic of him with the item and todays newspaper as proof of delivery.

Otherwise he has to pay for the shipping with tracking and insurance, but that would've been the case if you had sold it to him or someone further away anyway. The fact is he would've had to pay those costs normally, so it seems he became agitated because maybe he thought you wanted him to pay the total. You may have meant just for the item, he may have thought you wanted the item and shipping total. Miscommunication or misunderstanding? Try again.

Yea thats exactly what happened.

I don't think he would be the type to agree to a mutual cancelation. :gah:

Ok then the worst he can do is give you a negative. That's a lot better than you getting shafted by Ebay/Paypal. If you're worried, just submit the mutual cancellation and leave it at that. Negatives/positives on Ebay won't put gas in my car.:lol

I'd be inclined to accept the money in US$ through ebay. You'll have his address and phone number, so then I'd offer to deliver it in person to his door. Take your camera and get a pic of him with the item and todays newspaper as proof of delivery.

That won't work either. The buyer could always say that's not him in the pic, etc. and the seller would be SOL.

IF the seller goes through with the deal, it should be sent Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation AND Signature Confirmation at the very least.

Is there any protection for a seller (through ebay or Paypal) if you do an in-person pick up? I would think not since (as was posted above) there really is no way to prove it happened.

I would think pick-ups would have to be cash only that way even if the buyer decides to try and screw you over they wouldn't have any meaningful recourse.

to the ebay power sellers ... Does stating an item is "being sold AS-IS" give you any protection from ****** buyers trying to screw you over?
I know it holds up in court for selling other items off ebay.

Back