Does anyone know anything about Soundproofing a room?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reinhardt

Super Freak
Reaction score
This Christmas holiday I am planning to build some walls and soundproof a room. I have never done this sort of thing before.

I am not worried about building walls, but what about soundproofing? Does anyone have any experience?

For my hometheatre, I need to soundproof the ceiling (which is finished), and also one wall (which I will be building). In addition, if it makes sense to soundproof the floor above the hometheatre, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

This Christmas holiday I am planning to dress up like John Wayne Gacey. I have never done this sort of thing before.

I am not worried about building walls, but what about soundproofing? Does anyone have any experience?

For my Dungeon, I need to soundproof the ceiling (which is finished), and also one wall (which I will be building). In addition, if it makes sense to soundproof the floor above the crawlspace, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Hmmm...

:monkey3

Along those lines I also need to know how to install some tile and a floor drain in my basement and if anyone knows a really good bulk bleach supplier.

Let me know. :monkey3

Ummm... can we keep this a little more hush hush?? Oh, that's the doorbell. Must be the garbage bags I ordered in bulk...

you really need to do it right as you don't want to sacrifice the room's acoustics. while doing your research, investigate home studio solutions too!

just lay down plastic.

I learned that from Lethal Weapon 2! along with the concept of diplomatic immunity although I'm told I don't have that...

soundproofing though, isn't that what that fluffy stuff they put inside walls is for or is that just insulation. Could be both.

Soundproof. By only doing select walls/ceiling you really wont achieve much. To PROOF the room all walls must be dealt with. A brick wall will certainly reduce sound, but remove one brick and sound will pass through. If you just want to reduce sound you could double plaster the walls leaving a small gap of air between the boards. Even filling the gap with insulation or sand if you really want to proof it better.

Sounds like you just want to do the ceiling and wall. Hang a false ceiling, will reduce the sound transference. Adding insulation will reduce it further. There is insulation with acoustic properties if your budget allows. There's a lot more to it, but the better the barrier the better the reduction. Adding air gaps between barriers reduces the sound transference. ie. plaster board. It is better to have an air gap than just doubling the thickness of the board.

Back