Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any fading but under certain lighting the "undies" do tend to look a bit lighter than the surrounding plastic.

Does anyone know of any customizers who offer repainting services for the Iron Man panties?

A while ago Username was offering this service. Otherwise there was mention a few pages back about a set of bootlegs, though these haven't been mentioned in a while.

I don't see any fading but under certain lighting the "undies" do tend to look a bit lighter than the surrounding plastic.

That'll happen simply because of the way light will reflect off the different surfaces. A poor pic will enhance this effect.

Do all fade or only some. My MKVI hasnt faded at all.

Keeping them in the box, or stored in the box for extended periods, seems to accelerate the fading. Some faded quicker than others. I'm not sure how the MK VI's were affected. My Mk IV is very, very slightly faded after I boxed it for a few months - but sometimes I look at it and wonder if it's just my imagination.

Keeping them in the box, or stored in the box for extended periods, seems to accelerate the fading. Some faded quicker than others. I'm not sure how the MK VI's were affected. My Mk IV is very, very slightly faded after I boxed it for a few months - but sometimes I look at it and wonder if it's just my imagination.

Yeah maybe mine is faded and I think its OK. I am colorblind.

I am looking to fix my Iron Man Mark III (original). Can anyone give me a recap on which paint to use?
I've read though the post and only can find the paint people used for the Mark III(BD).
However, seems like the original Mark III has different tone of red.

Thanks

Can someone please advise why it is necessary to first remove the original paint before airbrushing the Mr Color silver then the Gaia 041 red?

Also is the silver/red airbrushing method successful over plastic parts also...or just the rubber panties? I have some armor parts I would like to recolour to match the Mark IV red.

Can someone please advise why it is necessary to first remove the original paint before airbrushing the Mr Color silver then the Gaia 041 red?

Also is the silver/red airbrushing method successful over plastic parts also...or just the rubber panties? I have some armor parts I would like to recolour to match the Mark IV red.

When you are painting anything plastic or metal, it is best to clean and strip the work to avoid any further corrosion or deterioration of the existing paint. If you do not remove all of the original paint it leaves a potential for the base layer to peel and either bubble or crack the added layers of paint coats.

Just uses some rubbing alcohol mineral spirits on the panties, don't drench it but give it a good wipe and that should get most of the paint breakdown off the work.

As long as you strip existing paint from the work as much as possible you can use a quality primer (thin coats) can paint pretty much anything.

When you are painting anything plastic or metal, it is best to clean and strip the work to avoid any further corrosion or deterioration of the existing paint. If you do not remove all of the original paint it leaves a potential for the base layer to peel and either bubble or crack the added layers of paint coats.

Just uses some rubbing alcohol mineral spirits on the panties, don't drench it but give it a good wipe and that should get most of the paint breakdown off the work.

As long as you strip existing paint from the work as much as possible you can use a quality primer (thin coats) can paint pretty much anything.

Thanks. I have some MK42 armor pieces in gold/red that I will be recoloring as MKIV red. I will strip the original paint.

I recall that Mr Color Leveling Thinner can be used to strip the original paint...is that correct?

EDIT: Confirmed at post #315

Thanks. I have some MK42 armor pieces in gold/red that I will be recoloring as MKIV red. I will strip the original paint.

I recall that Mr Color Leveling Thinner can be used to strip the original paint...is that correct?

EDIT: Confirmed at post #315

If the pieces are gold to begin with, you can paint on top of the gold.

If the pieces are gold to begin with, you can paint on top of the gold.

They are gold, red and silver with black panel lines. The OCD in me thinks a single color basecoat (Mr Color #8 Silver) would make for a more consistent red topcoat (Gaia #41). I'll do some tests and upload pics once the Gaia arrives from Hong Kong.

Back