Hot Toys: - MMS156 - Captain America The First Avenger Official Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better late than never

Or, my sudden *retro* craze over the past few weeks, which really was triggered by a mashed-up combination IW/Marvel's first 10 year stuff and Feige going on about the MCU changes and idly checking the 'bay and HOLY *&^^%!!:horror re prices and anyway - over time I've appreciated the First Avenger movie more and more:clap.

6-7 years since this guy's release I guess. A few quick pics straight out of the box - managed to source at a price I could tolerate. Been breaking my "no figure purchase over 3 years old" rule:google (e.g. re *potential* plastic degradation even sealed paranoia:wacky). So Cap's off-gassing after being sealed all this time and he's pretty much perfect - threw a sourced diecast shield on him until I can coat the original shield.

I own the Golden Age Cap; was never planning to get this guy but LOL changed my mind when I got the Rescue Cap. (If only they'd done Bucky and the Howling Commandos - or Bucky at least). Read or watched some reviews on this fig - sculpt, shield, shortness - but I am really very happy he's joining my Cap/Bucky collection. My only real issue - since he's just out of the box - is I wish the uniform let his arms raise more. Everything else I can futz with. I can see the sculpts improved over time, I guess, but I am happy enough with the older Cap sculpts. This one to me has a more relaxed expression which is a nice contrast to the more grim later versions or even the Rescue Version.

RetroCaps1.jpg

RetroCaps2.jpg

Congrats on the acquisition.

It has its shortcomings, such as being a bit too short, but all in all, it's a good figure. At one point I had GA Cap and this figure, and I sold GA Cap in lieu of this one. I like this outfit slightly better being that it's more vintage, and I think it's a better figure overall.

Congrats on the acquisition.

It has its shortcomings, such as being a bit too short, but all in all, it's a good figure. At one point I had GA Cap and this figure, and I sold GA Cap in lieu of this one. I like this outfit slightly better being that it's more vintage, and I think it's a better figure overall.

Thanks! I figure my Golden Age is part of my TWS group; but I want to have all of Cap's arc, more or less, on the shelves. Looking him over closely - IMO a great fig, plenty of details. Don't know yet if I will bother with the height issue and longer pegs, or not. If he's not next to a "modern" Cap don't think it matters.:dunno

Yeah, I gotcha.

I sold off most of my TWS collection, sans WS, SS Cap and BW, and merged those with CW Cap and Mk 46 on one shelf. I figured this suit and the GA suit are moreless the same, so I kept this one based on the aforementioned reasons.

I have all TFA ones on the shelf below it.

Re: Better late than never

Or, my sudden *retro* craze over the past few weeks, which really was triggered by a mashed-up combination IW/Marvel's first 10 year stuff and Feige going on about the MCU changes and idly checking the 'bay and HOLY *&^^%!!:horror re prices and anyway - over time I've appreciated the First Avenger movie more and more:clap.

6-7 years since this guy's release I guess. A few quick pics straight out of the box - managed to source at a price I could tolerate. Been breaking my "no figure purchase over 3 years old" rule:google (e.g. re *potential* plastic degradation even sealed paranoia:wacky). So Cap's off-gassing after being sealed all this time and he's pretty much perfect - threw a sourced diecast shield on him until I can coat the original shield.

I own the Golden Age Cap; was never planning to get this guy but LOL changed my mind when I got the Rescue Cap. (If only they'd done Bucky and the Howling Commandos - or Bucky at least). Read or watched some reviews on this fig - sculpt, shield, shortness - but I am really very happy he's joining my Cap/Bucky collection. My only real issue - since he's just out of the box - is I wish the uniform let his arms raise more. Everything else I can futz with. I can see the sculpts improved over time, I guess, but I am happy enough with the older Cap sculpts. This one to me has a more relaxed expression which is a nice contrast to the more grim later versions or even the Rescue Version.

Congrats, and welcome to the TFA Cap club!

It's been so long since I bought the figure (and promptly modded it) that I forget about some of its initial limitations, but if you're willing to break the glue attaching the shoulder pads to the sleeves, you can get much better movement at the shoulders.

I sold off most of my TWS collection, sans WS, SS Cap and BW, and merged those with CW Cap and Mk 46 on one shelf. I figured this suit and the GA suit are moreless the same, so I kept this one based on the aforementioned reasons.

Yeah, for a long time figured GA covered the "retro side" of things for me - I'd thought about the choice for a while and picked up GA. But TWS is one of my top movies - for me it was important to have WS with a Cap re that last fight scene for display. Not just Stealth Cap.

It's now, thinking about the TFA/TWS/CW arc - over the long term really wanted to emphasize the beginning of things, esp. as the MCU changes. I dunno - read posts where it's been said the expected life span of an HT is 10 years or so, depending:dunno. Hoping my collection lasts a good long time, anyway. So far love my figs.:cool:

Congrats, and welcome to the TFA Cap club!

It's been so long since I bought the figure (and promptly modded it) that I forget about some of its initial limitations, but if you're willing to break the glue attaching the shoulder pads to the sleeves, you can get much better movement at the shoulders.

Thanks!:) and Thanks for the tip! So far it's my only real wish for this fig, being able to get the arms higher. But he's surprisingly eye catching with the vintage look, as is. A purchase I feel *warm and fuzzy* about for sure:clap. Maybe the sculpt could've been tweaked but for me, it's Evans and just seems expressive too.
Now I need to get some sort of vintage Cap poster or background image to go with.

Yeah, for a long time figured GA covered the "retro side" of things for me - I'd thought about the choice for a while and picked up GA. But TWS is one of my top movies - for me it was important to have WS with a Cap re that last fight scene for display. Not just Stealth Cap.

It's now, thinking about the TFA/TWS/CW arc - over the long term really wanted to emphasize the beginning of things, esp. as the MCU changes. I dunno - read posts where it's been said the expected life span of an HT is 10 years or so, depending:dunno. Hoping my collection lasts a good long time, anyway. So far love my figs.:cool:

Yeah, I hear ya regarding your TWS display.

I went the other way and kept just the trio of WS, SS Cap and BW to represent the film. SS Cap and BW pair very nicely to represent the beginning scene in the film on the boat since those are the suits they had on, and WS was obviously the titular villain. I figure those three pretty much convey the essence of the film and whenever I think of Cap in TWS, I think of him in his SS the most.

I used to have CW Bucky, but I realized I only need one Bucky in my collection and I like TWS figure better than the CW one, so as mentioned, I just merged CW and TWS together to have WS and also BW moreless represent both films.

Yeah, I hear ya regarding your TWS display.

I went the other way and kept just the trio of WS, SS Cap and BW to represent the film. SS Cap and BW pair very nicely to represent the beginning scene in the film on the boat since those are the suits they had on, and WS was obviously the titular villain. I figure those three pretty much convey the essence of the film and whenever I think of Cap in TWS, I think of him in his SS the most.

I can see that - for me, I think of the highway and last fight the most. But for a Cap fan - gotta have SS:clap. Then I had to source a different Steve Rogers outfit than the original HT re the highway scene (still have some shoes to paint gray)

So I've got multiple Caps, Buckys, BW, SW, Falcon TWS and CW - but some characters just never get purchased at all so far.:dunno (Maybe one day I'll pick up Hawkeye :cool:- maybe IW2 will be the one I pull the trigger on, finally.) Suspect for IW2 - for me - there will be one last Cap, at least:horror $$$$

Thanks!:) and Thanks for the tip! So far it's my only real wish for this fig, being able to get the arms higher. But he's surprisingly eye catching with the vintage look, as is. A purchase I feel *warm and fuzzy* about for sure:clap. Maybe the sculpt could've been tweaked but for me, it's Evans and just seems expressive too.
Now I need to get some sort of vintage Cap poster or background image to go with.

I really wanted to get the figure in a dynamic action pose with the shield up (including winding up for a shield smash), so the shoulder articulation was a must. The downside is that the shoulders look a bit sloppy now because the pads aren't glued to the sleeves. :)

I really didn't like the sculpt at first. I don't see much of Chris Evans in it, even though from the side, it looks a lot like the unmasked Steve Rogers head from the first Avengers figure. I still don't see much of a likeness, but it's been growing on me. I used the unmasked head for ages, but it's not quite Cap without a helmeted head.

This figure is what brought me into the whole HT collecting hobby (and a sentimental favorite), so I totally hear you on warm and fuzzy. :duff The costumes won't match, but this would probably look cool with one of the vintage posters from the movie as backdrop.

I can see that - for me, I think of the highway and last fight the most. But for a Cap fan - gotta have SS:clap. Then I had to source a different Steve Rogers outfit than the original HT re the highway scene (still have some shoes to paint gray)

So I've got multiple Caps, Buckys, BW, SW, Falcon TWS and CW - but some characters just never get purchased at all so far.:dunno (Maybe one day I'll pick up Hawkeye :cool:- maybe IW2 will be the one I pull the trigger on, finally.) Suspect for IW2 - for me - there will be one last Cap, at least:horror $$$$

The two iconic scenes for me from TWS are the highway and elevator fight scenes. I recreated the final fight scene with Bucky and TFA Cap, but it was a bit tight to fit in a Detolf (though I may try to bring it back). And a Detolf is almost perfect for the elevator fight, which is about 70% why I picked up a Stealth Cap figure. The only thing is that I can't spare an extra shelf anymore for the elevator fight. :gah:

I really wanted to get the figure in a dynamic action pose with the shield up (including winding up for a shield smash), so the shoulder articulation was a must. The downside is that the shoulders look a bit sloppy now because the pads aren't glued to the sleeves.

I really didn't like the sculpt at first. I don't see much of Chris Evans in it, even though from the side, it looks a lot like the unmasked Steve Rogers head from the first Avengers figure. I still don't see much of a likeness, but it's been growing on me. I used the unmasked head for ages, but it's not quite Cap without a helmeted head.

THIS. Wondering if just some dots of velcro could replace the glue, but be more flexible?...I was surprised I liked the sculpts for TFA and (helmeted) Rescue. To me it seems like a bit of artistic interpretation, but also looks like a younger? Cap which to me goes with TFA arc. Young soldiers doing their part for WW2. 'Coz it feels like the paint is smoother, or something. By TWS, Cap is a kick butt fighter - but that might just be me projecting how the different movie directors approached the character.:dunno

Does, help, tho, that there's either a helmet or a mask - don't think I would display TFA or Rescue without..."The only thing is that I can't spare an extra shelf anymore for the elevator fight. "

LOL hear that - already have taller figs (like CW Falcon) taking up 2 shelves space; not sure how much more re-org I can do!:panic:

I can never decide which suit is best. So i'm afraid i have to own them all...

IMO why not:cool:, tho I don't have all of the Caps (yet).

:lecture

Catching up on this thread - such a welcome change from the wreckage that is the SW forum.

I can never decide which suit is best. So i'm afraid i have to own them all...

IMO why not:cool:, tho I don't have all of the Caps (yet).

Ever since TFA, i have bought them all as they are released.
I sometimes consider not buying the next one. But always relent in a day or so.
I haven't physically opened one since the Stealth suit version was released(Been moving house a bit and don't have display space), but i have them all boxed on a shelf at work.
We are moving again next week and hopefully that will be a bit more permanent for a bit. So i can get my Caps out on display.

I don’t know how it happened but the paint on the shield from this version has completely chipped away :thud:

Ever since TFA, i have bought them all as they are released.
I sometimes consider not buying the next one. But always relent in a day or so.
I haven't physically opened one since the Stealth suit version was released(Been moving house a bit and don't have display space), but i have them all boxed on a shelf at work.
We are moving again next week and hopefully that will be a bit more permanent for a bit. So i can get my Caps out on display.

Hope you get situated soon! - moving sux:( But I think that's an excellent collection:clap - like another collection of all Dr. Strange I saw (different scales of various figs there tho). IMO what's great about Cap is the huge time expanse from one era to the next; to suit upgrades to the current IW "fugitive" and I am guessing at the last there will be a classic, heroic Cap. (Re the movie character think folks would riot, otherwise).

Since my fav MCU character is the Winter Soldier and the whole arc, for me it'd be nice to see Bucky-Cap if that happens. Or Falcon-Cap:dunno. Every Cap I have gotten I am happy with, so far - HT seems to a do a good job with the uniform details, boots, gauntlets, seams, etc. Excellent fabrics too. :clap Post pics sometime when u can!

Well, yeah, the TFA shield I guess is a candidate for flaking:horror - but one advantage of buying late is reading all the posts good and bad. And solutions. Also being a Cap/Bucky fan I'd already sourced a metal shield or two just for display purposes:cool:. Tho I will coat the TFA shield re:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrlXDSHxYrg

front and back (tape off straps) so hope that seals things down. If it doesn't, I'm covered tho.

Catching up on this thread - such a welcome change from the wreckage that is the SW forum.
??? *Curious*. Don't do much SW tho I was gonna get Finn off Popcultcha. (But then changed my mind and finally ordered "the Master One" (Ancient One) - no logic to it really:google except I've wanted the Sorcerer Supreme to go with my DS forever, while working with my new Cap(s) and waiting on SDCC reveals *cough* IW Bucky *cough*.) Feige's fault re his *threats* about the new MCU got me spending; feel like it's now or never for some MCU figs$$$$$.

And some like original Loki are barely offered, even at *insane* prices.

THIS. Wondering if just some dots of velcro could replace the glue, but be more flexible?...I was surprised I liked the sculpts for TFA and (helmeted) Rescue. To me it seems like a bit of artistic interpretation, but also looks like a younger? Cap which to me goes with TFA arc. Young soldiers doing their part for WW2. 'Coz it feels like the paint is smoother, or something. By TWS, Cap is a kick butt fighter - but that might just be me projecting how the different movie directors approached the character.:dunno

Does, help, tho, that there's either a helmet or a mask - don't think I would display TFA or Rescue without..."The only thing is that I can't spare an extra shelf anymore for the elevator fight. "

LOL hear that - already have taller figs (like CW Falcon) taking up 2 shelves space; not sure how much more re-org I can do!:panic:

I haven't tried the velcro idea, but that would add some bulk that causes the shoulder pads to stick out. The issue is more that the ends of the pads flare out a bit in certain poses. Readjusting the arm straps helps, but that gets annoying after a while.

The head sculpt has the older HT paint work on it, so it does look smoother/flatter than the newer sculpts with their hyper-realistic paint jobs. And funny enough, I like the Avengers unmasked head because it has the 1940s hair style. The Steve Rogers head from TWS looks better, but it has the modern hair, which I just can't stand on TFA Cap. Go figure...

Not just the AoU shield. All the die-cast shields, starting with TWS line, didn't have this issue as far as I'm aware.

Also, the first Avengers battle damaged shield seems to be holding up well. I saw a couple stories of paint cracking on the BD shield in the Avengers Cap thread, but I don't recall reading anything about the paint flaking off like with the clean electroplated shields.

I haven't tried the velcro idea, but that would add some bulk that causes the shoulder pads to stick out. The issue is more that the ends of the pads flare out a bit in certain poses. Readjusting the arm straps helps, but that gets annoying after a while.

The head sculpt has the older HT paint work on it, so it does look smoother/flatter than the newer sculpts with their hyper-realistic paint jobs. And funny enough, I like the Avengers unmasked head because it has the 1940s hair style. The Steve Rogers head from TWS looks better, but it has the modern hair, which I just can't stand on TFA Cap. Go figure...

Also, the first Avengers battle damaged shield seems to be holding up well. I saw a couple stories of paint cracking on the BD shield in the Avengers Cap thread, but I don't recall reading anything about the paint flaking off like with the clean electroplated shields.

Nah, I totally get about the hair. TWS sculpt is beautiful - but just too mature, or something. Too modern. Unless I try under the Rescue helmet for a kitbash and sand the front part of the hair down. I don't know if I can stuff the TWS head - with sanding - into a spare Cap helmet either:dunno. And then kind of paint wash the skin for a smoother look e.g. un-do the realism a bit.:lol

That's good about the shields - also since I started futzing for a quick pick - GA and WS holding up well so far re costume. Classic figs.:clap Happy to have two "vintage" Caps, in the end. Eventually TFA will have his own WW2 display.:flag

Cap2WS.jpg

Back