Hot Toys Scarlet Witch Artisan Edition - Avengers Endgame

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the point of view of those where value retention doesn't affect your enjoyment of this hobby. For me it adds to it. That's why they're called collectibles instead of disposables. Aren't you guys at least somewhat more excited to have a Gandalf or Aragorn preorder in, seeing it sold out and selling for 2x? Isn't the increased value and limited nature part of what makes something a 'grail'?
Yeah the exclusivity definitely adds to it. But it's not the end all be all. I was able to reserve all 3 Artisans. I like them mostly because of how much better they look than regular releases. For example I am much happier to have the Fennec Shand figure than Gandalf or Aragorn. The rarity of Gandalf or Aragorn doesn't mean anything to me. Even those anime characters that Hot Toys made, if they were limited to 1000 pieces I still wouldn't be interested.

The Artisan line will only be as valuable as its final product photos.

I really enjoy Hot Toys as a brand, considering they first brought me to the hobby, but there's nothing innovative or "wow" about this to me, I hope I'm wrong, but knowing I'm getting my Inart Lord of the Rings collectibles soon gets me more excited than say possibly scoring the Wanda on WL. It's too bare bones for $450

The Artisan line will only be as valuable as its final product photos.

I really enjoy Hot Toys as a brand, considering they first brought me to the hobby, but there's nothing innovative or "wow" about this to me, I hope I'm wrong, but knowing I'm getting my Inart Lord of the Rings collectibles soon gets me more excited than say possibly scoring the Wanda on WL. It's too bare bones for $450
Yeah I agree. Rooted hair seems kind of normal, even barbies have rooted hair, and those are not $400 dollars. Its not that much of an upgrade from the civil war wanda based on promo pics.

I appreciate the point of view of those where value retention doesn't affect your enjoyment of this hobby. For me it adds to it. That's why they're called collectibles instead of disposables. Aren't you guys at least somewhat more excited to have a Gandalf or Aragorn preorder in, seeing it sold out and selling for 2x? Isn't the increased value and limited nature part of what makes something a 'grail'?
Maybe a little bit, but it's not a feeling I pursue through my collecting. It's not an emotional high I'm reaching for.

Sure, it's nice to have a collectible and one day discover its value has increased. I do look at it a little differently, but for the most part I'm just glad to have snagged it when I did. I'm more relieved than proud of having that rarity.

Don't forget, there's the opposite reality too, when collectibles tank in value. What's the feeling of that realization? There's some (small) feeling of remorse when I've paid retail price for a collectible only to find it went down in value and I could have paid less. I think there's balance in these feelings that we have to acknowledge.

For every collectible I have that went up in value there's two collectibles that I couldn't buy at the time that went up even more. There are no real "grails" when almost everything can be a grail in the collectible market. I don't think any collector really comes out on top in such a remarkable way to feel like their collection smokes another collector's. In fact, I think things these feelings tend to balance out or relativize more than keep us on some kind of collecting high.

Collecting is a fairly irrational pursuit and a poor use of money, but we do it because we have some emotional attachment and investment with concepts (characters and their films, books or whatever). Ideally, our collecting habit fulfills some appreciation of the collectible objects. We can enjoy these "things" but it's not about a feeling of winning, especially when there is no real race or competition happening. Some of us score big with rarities and some of us don't, but we're not swiping each other and none of us ever win any awards for our collecting.

Justin/Ryan in depth look (as usual):

We all know the stories about the "shiller", so this is no difference event though he has changed sponsors.

Edit: There are listings of the Civil War Wanda used up on Fleabay (no doubt that the sellers are going get the newer release), but the actual condition of the used Civil War release can be falsified as we know it.

Last edited:
Maybe a little bit, but it's not a feeling I pursue through my collecting. It's not an emotional high I'm reaching for.

Sure, it's nice to have a collectible and one day discover its value has increased. I do look at it a little differently, but for the most part I'm just glad to have snagged it when I did. I'm more relieved than proud of having that rarity.

Don't forget, there's the opposite reality too, when collectibles tank in value. What's the feeling of that realization? There's some (small) feeling of remorse when I've paid retail price for a collectible only to find it went down in value and I could have paid less. I think there's balance in these feelings that we have to acknowledge.

For every collectible I have that went up in value there's two collectibles that I couldn't buy at the time that went up even more. There are no real "grails" when almost everything can be a grail in the collectible market. I don't think any collector really comes out on top in such a remarkable way to feel like their collection smokes another collector's. In fact, I think things these feelings tend to balance out or relativize more than keep us on some kind of collecting high.

Collecting is a fairly irrational pursuit and a poor use of money, but we do it because we have some emotional attachment and investment with concepts (characters and their films, books or whatever). Ideally, our collecting habit fulfills some appreciation of the collectible objects. We can enjoy these "things" but it's not about a feeling of winning, especially when there is no real race or competition happening. Some of us score big with rarities and some of us don't, but we're not swiping each other and none of us ever win any awards for our collecting.
This might be the most spot-on sentence ever written on this forum...and, I think you've been talking to my wife! :)

Seriously though, I almost wish that I didn't have the compulsion to collect that I do. I think it boils down to the fact that I've always enjoyed having stuff, from my first memory of getting a Mego Spidey to the craziness of the original Star Wars figures to now. I just like having the "stuff". It makes me happy... I guess that's enough...

Yup. Its the thrill of the hunt with any collectible.
so true! One of the funnest/thrilling things when I used to collect mainline transformers was going to Target/TRU/Walmart with the store codes and having them go to the back to get the box, double check the street release date and then getting some case fresh figures. Wasn't always the case as sometimes just had to race to the store whenever word got out that so-n-so was getting a new shipment, but it was fun and exciting.

so true! One of the funnest/thrilling things when I used to collect mainline transformers was going to Target/TRU/Walmart with the store codes and having them go to the back to get the box, double check the street release date and then getting some case fresh figures. Wasn't always the case as sometimes just had to race to the store whenever word got out that so-n-so was getting a new shipment, but it was fun and exciting.
Yup! Its was Marvel Legends for me, lol

Yup! Its was Marvel Legends for me, lol
Starting lineup and star wars here.

I was super close to marvel legends, had the unmasked wolverine in my hands at walmart but decided I would not jump in that hole. Its weird because im pretty certain I saw nearly every variant at retail when it was toy biz making them.

The other one i nearly jumped on are the Mezco one 12. If I was a kid again those are what I would be playing with.

Went to TRU something like 48 straight days to score the Han and Tauntaun 12 inch. Similar with the Cantina Band at Wal-mart, but stopped there every morning anyway. Always remember the stock lady running up to me and saying "We got some in!". I think she was more excited than I was :)

Justin/Ryan in depth look (as usual):
Thanks for posting that; I feel a lot better about having 2 Wandas in the same outfit now; because for me there are enough differences - the hair color, the ability to change expression (eyes) and possibly staining/weathering of the corset? at least on the DX version if I was seeing that right.

Haven't had a problem with my original, so don't know what the vid was talking about re the coat. Tho my figs are mostly under glass and not messed with that much. I wouldn't be surprised as these figs age to get some peeling. But so far so good.

Those InArt figures had a fairly long ordering period. You could order for like a month or more.

These Hot Toys Artisan figures go up at a set time on a specific date with only a certain amount allotted.

Sure is it kind of cool to have something that’s more limited- yes, but it’s a complete crapshoot and honestly just kind of annoying. Luckily I’ve only really wanted one (Anakin) so far. Wasn’t able to secure it though.

I don’t collect for the reason of something being valuable. If it ends up that way and I have to/want to sell cool, but not my priority when buying.

Last edited:
I'm really interested in the regular DLX version more now after seeing the comparisons between the Artsian and standard. I'll wait till the official release date and get a copy since I'm in the middle of thinning out my other miscellaneous mixed hobby collection.

Went to TRU something like 48 straight days to score the Han and Tauntaun 12 inch. Similar with the Cantina Band at Wal-mart, but stopped there every morning anyway. Always remember the stock lady running up to me and saying "We got some in!". I think she was more excited than I was :)
Very similar here. It was SW and I used to trawl around every toy store and every other store that sold toys in the pursuit of anything Kenner/Hasbro SW. Many times it was just aimless wandering but then there were those times you would pick up the elusive 12” Tauntaun or an AT-AT.

It is strange though. I have the AOU 1.0, CW and WV versions of Wanda and I have zero compulsion to get this one. I think it might be the fact those figures were never branded as ultimate like this one and I look at this and just don’t seem a compelling “ultimate” upgrade. I’m kinda pretending Artisan doesn’t exist because of the limited run plus price. I used to be a HT sl*t and now I’m an Inart sl*t. Plus HTs attempts to challenge Inart seem mostly cosmetic and petty and they are still not challenging their most basic flaws like cheap, inconsistent bases, lack of use of magnets, pleather outfits.

It is strange though. I have the AOU 1.0, CW and WV versions of Wanda and I have zero compulsion to get this one.

That also might have something to do with HT raising prices for prices sake (along with adopting Prime1's enormous environmental base tax). I had a feeling that the artisan would be high, but I had never thought that the standard would go above (or even near) $300 USD.

That also might have something to do with HT raising prices for prices sake (along with adopting Prime1's enormous environmental base tax). I had a feeling that the artisan would be high, but I had never thought that the standard would go above (or even near) $300 USD.
I'm still pondering the concept of "artisan" anything. In theory, since I started collecting, at any time I could have commissioned an "ultimate" custom fig. Except I'm not in that happy economic class or needing it that badly.

It's been said that InArt is doing it right, putting more or less custom work within reach of the masses e.g. affordable. I dunno about that. And this isn't a bash, it's just an observation. I've got a rooted Aragorn on order. But I'm not seeing a leather coat, or far as I can tell, anything that looks like leather. I'm not seeing a cloak that has a woven pattern, but is a "marled" fabric print which isn't hard to find.

Anyway, I've been happy with HT for years now, but already ratcheted back on collecting. I'm not gonna overturn my figs for newer ones costing 500$ plus each. If that's the new thing, I'll pick up a few favs, here and there. Hopefully with points, or coupons to take the sting out. It's just a weird feeling for me in the "collection journey" because custom figs were always out of reach, now these "sort of" customs are coming out that are "sort of" in reach, but the cost is sucking the fun out. :horror As well as having to hope you can order, at all. :pfft:I read the whole Anakin thread and was really *&^% off for dedicated fans who didn't get him.:mad:

I still have that tauntaun and cantina band. That cantina band was why I didnt get the sideshow versions. I thought sure the sideshow are "better" but not 70 bucks better. Of course I've 2nd guessed myself since then. :)

The starting lineup pursuit I couldnt chase after everday but probably once a week for years and years. So many times i would see a case on the floor and see someone had already grabbed what I was looking for, then I would see dudes buying them who had entire cases of hot wheels cars, which I came to find out there are some fanatical hot wheels fans. Turned out those guys only bought the star wars and starting lineups to sell or trade at shows for hot wheels.

I think that all changed when the internet exploded. While frustrating at times, it was actually pretty exhilirating when I did find something. Good times.

I'm still pondering the concept of "artisan" anything. In theory, since I started collecting, at any time I could have commissioned an "ultimate" custom fig. Except I'm not in that happy economic class or needing it that badly.

It's been said that InArt is doing it right, putting more or less custom work within reach of the masses e.g. affordable. I dunno about that. And this isn't a bash, it's just an observation. I've got a rooted Aragorn on order. But I'm not seeing a leather coat, or far as I can tell, anything that looks like leather. I'm not seeing a cloak that has a woven pattern, but is a "marled" fabric print which isn't hard to find.

Anyway, I've been happy with HT for years now, but already ratcheted back on collecting. I'm not gonna overturn my figs for newer ones costing 500$ plus each. If that's the new thing, I'll pick up a few favs, here and there. Hopefully with points, or coupons to take the sting out. It's just a weird feeling for me in the "collection journey" because custom figs were always out of reach, now these "sort of" customs are coming out that are "sort of" in reach, but the cost is sucking the fun out. :horror As well as having to hope you can order, at all. :pfft:I read the whole Anakin thread and was really *&^% off for dedicated fans who didn't get him.:mad:
The Aragorn says it has a leather vest.
Screenshot_20231014-025100~2.png

Harry Potter says it has leather shoes.
Screenshot_20230523_095415_Brave~2.jpg

They are using leather in some aspects. They have stated they will not use pleather in the making of anything. Not sure on the pattern for the cloak though. You could be right.

Back