ICE!!! Stuck in the frozen nowhere.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio49

Super Freak
Reaction score
My wife and I are staying in a hotel in the middle of BFE (Oklahoma) tonight. We were trying to drive from Missouri to Oklahoma City, and got stuck in the ice storm currently blanketing the midwest in frozen death.

We saw so many cars off the road, overturned and abandoned that my wife said she felt like we were in a zombie film. It was pretty freaky.

I don't think we are going to make it to OK city in time for her to go to work tomorrow night so after she calls in we can practice staying warm... :naughty ... if you know what I'm sayin.

Anyone else trying to travel through this mess?

Yeah, this storm is going to be hitting us tomorrow evening in Northeastern PA. So far, they're only calling for 4-8 inches of snow--probably less. Sucks though because I have a night job delivering newspapers. It's already bad enough out there with month-old ice slicking everything up!! :mad:

We are in Vinita. I wanted to make it to Tulsa, but it didn't happen.

That is promising that Yukon/OK city aren't that bad, because it is dangerous here. We pulled off and got a hotel room after the second time we slid sideways on I44 while going 25 miles per hour.

It will really suck if we can't make it by tomorrow night. If my wife calls in, she has to make that day up on Friday, and we had plans in St.Louis Friday night. I don't even know if we could make the drive to St.Louis unless there is some serious melting in between now and then.

There is at least 1/4 inch of ice on everything in the hotel parking lot. I just took a picture with my cellphone, but I can't get it uploaded to my laptop. A car pulled out of the parking lot and there was so much ice on the front of their car that had fused to the ground, that it left a perfect shell mold of the front of their car. You can almost read the license plate. :lol

I'm in Stillwater, its not good here... they actually closed the University (where I work) at 2p today and a lot of places are already closed tomorrow. Here's hoping for a day off work tomorrow :rock

We are in Vinita. I wanted to make it to Tulsa, but it didn't happen.

That is promising that Yukon/OK city aren't that bad, because it is dangerous here. We pulled off and got a hotel room after the second time we slid sideways on I44 while going 25 miles per hour.

It will really suck if we can't make it by tomorrow night. If my wife calls in, she has to make that day up on Friday, and we had plans in St.Louis Friday night. I don't even know if we could make the drive to St.Louis unless there is some serious melting in between now and then.

Good luck on the driving in tomorrow. Am in Kansas City area and they're predicting only a dusting of snow tonight but more snow with some accumulation tomorrow. Whatever little bit of moisture today WILL be ice overnight with no hope of melting tomorrow I'm thinking.

But Vinita is a nice little town. :D

Also, this area does not do well with clearing roads. Last year we were really unable to go anywhere for a few days since they couldn't do anything to melt the ice.

We had some ice in Bartlesville (north of Tulsa). We got to leave work at 3:00 and had to go pick up my daughter from daycare on the way home. Her daycare is in town, but it's got some inclined roads surrounding it. I drove up as far as I could and had to walk the rest of the way up to get her.

We live about 2 miles from work and her daycare is in the middle. It took us an hour and a half to get her and get home. :google

Schools all around us are closed tomorrow so I hope work has the common sense to be closed as well.

My wife and I are staying in a hotel in the middle of BFE (Oklahoma) tonight. We were trying to drive from Missouri to Oklahoma City, and got stuck in the ice storm currently blanketing the midwest in frozen death.

We saw so many cars off the road, overturned and abandoned that my wife said she felt like we were in a zombie film. It was pretty freaky.

I don't think we are going to make it to OK city in time for her to go to work tomorrow night so after she calls in we can practice staying warm... :naughty ... if you know what I'm sayin.

Anyone else trying to travel through this mess?

We had this awhile back. I hate being cooped up for so long!

Enjoy your alone time with the wife! ;)

Also, this area does not do well with clearing roads. Last year we were really unable to go anywhere for a few days since they couldn't do anything to melt the ice.

Around here the price of clearing roads has doubled so they simply aren't doing it much. STINKS!

Stay safe!

BFE, cracked me up, I haven't heard that since I retired from the Marine Corps. Been there, done that.

Heh seems there are several people around the area.I'm in southwest Missouri and the roads are icy on the side roads but there have been plows running on the main roads fairly regularly.Doesn't help much though when it's still coming down.Schools are cancelled and work for lots of people.Sleeting pretty good out right now.Looks like it's supposed to warm up around Thursday or Friday, but I wouldn't count on it.Favorite saying around here is "Don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes it'll change".As long as power doesn't go out it could be worse.Stay safe and if you have to drive be careful there's always some idiot that thinks just because they have 4 wheel drive means they can go anywhere.Guess they didn't learn that just means you have 4 wheels spinning on the ice instead of 2.Vinita isn't too bad I had some friends that lived there.

Back