InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think that magnets in the hands aren’t necessary. I like the idea of using them in the bases/feet if they’re strong enough (along with the figure’s ankles) to support the figures standing without tumbling over.

This is a good tip, and I have a pair of tweezers like this, but in my case, and I'm assuming with others as well, there is still too much glue under the magnet, adhering the magnet to the hand. I've scraped off glue on top of the magnet in the peg hole, the peg hole is still too shallow to grab onto the wrist peg.
Yeah, fortunately my hands only had the glue issue on top of the magnet, at first the magnet was completely covered by glue. The way they did it sucks, I want normal pegs.

Does blu tack mean your Gandalf- or at least that head- was a ‘prototype’ display piece?

One might assume that would make it one of the most competently haired and painted heads out there.

I wouldn't know unless I can compare it with another figure in hand. My plan was to tweak the PERS because it seemed slightly cross eyed. Lo and behold what I saw when I opened to access the PERS. I just had to laugh. It wasn't a big deal for me on my Joker so it's the same here. Now, I would actually want my Batman to have the blutac just for laughs.

Speaking of surgical procedures, I opened up my Gandalf's head to remove the eyes and try to get them re-aligned. Achieved only a minor improvement, though at least both eyes are responsive to the joystick now. (I was getting lazy eye before when I tried to turn his gaze to the side.) The use of PERS is definitely my biggest complaint with the figure, but it's good enough to overcome this flaw, and it helps to know InArt is moving to SERS in the future.

I'm almost inclined to remove the coupling mechanism altogether and just adjust the eyes manually with pliers whenever I want to move them... It's a janky solution to be sure, but it could work to jury-rig SERS capability at least.

Got Gandalf in. Spur of the moment purchase thanks to Kit putting up the extras. I blame all your photos. The grip hands are definitely finicky and my base magnets are extremely weak, but otherwise very happy with what I’m seeing so far. The hair looks great - the pic below is right out of the box with just a super quick futzing of the robes - but I do think my rooter (?) went a little heavy on the ‘stache; his upper lip seems less visible on mine compared to some others’ photos, but I haven’t messed with the hair yet.

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_2192.jpeg

And now I’m using the upgraded Asmus Crown Gandalf to showcase some of the other accessories…

IMG_2198.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out what correction was actually done in that video and how by simply taking it apart and putting it back together. Bold move on such a pricey figure regardless.

I did that with my Ledger Joker but left them with SERS. The eyes on my Gandalf are aligned pretty nicely, so I don’t see the need to do this mod.

Problem is you shouldn't have to do that to a figure that cost $$.

However the single eye system should be a standard to resolve this issue. They just need to solve the neck peg knocking the eyes. They definitely should of used single eyes on Gandalf.
They probably saw how HT fans always complained about SERS. The tune has since changed ever since inart Ledger Joker came out.

Toys Buying Agent had a couple of these last week. Think it was pushing £600 when all was said and done, so I thought better of it. I decided to use the money to get a PSVR2 instead.

Turns out it was a poor choice. I've just paid £509 for the privilege of making myself nauseous.

Toys Buying Agent had a couple of these last week. Think it was pushing £600 when all was said and done, so I thought better of it. I decided to use the money to get a PSVR2 instead.

Turns out it was a poor choice. I've just paid £509 for the privilege of making myself nauseous.

Hey Mojo, not to derail and not sure if you’ve done any VR before this, but it is a little bit different from other motion sickness in my experience (as someone who is very sensitive to that across the board, including VR when I first got started) in that you can train it out and develop ‘VR legs’ so to speak. By starting in short sessions and gradually increasing, starting out with simpler games that don’t use a lot of ‘free movement’, and experimenting with the comfort settings (many games have options like adding a vignette or snap turning to assist with the transition to VR play).

The second you start to feel even the slightest bit of discomfort, don’t push past it at all, take the headset off, and see if you can go an extra 10-25 minutes in the headset the next time.

Having a fan blowing on you in the room for both comfort and spatial orientation also helps.

I can’t play everything as long as I’d like, and unfortunately likely couldn’t handle a Spider-Man swinging game if Sony ever made one, but in a few weeks of small sessions it was a night and day difference from when I started. I play GT7 with a wheel (awesome full experience if you’re into racing), and can usually enjoy a few races before I feel off (about how long I’d want to spend locked off from the world anyway), assuming I don’t spin out and go careening into a barrier lol. AR/VR tech has always been a fascination of mine though, so whether that kind of effort is worth it is a more individual question, obviously, but wanted to share in case this is your first foray! Anyway, good luck with that, or with getting a refund if it’s a complete wash!

Edit:

Thanks for the advice, mate.

Yeah, first time with VR of any kind. I bought Tales From The Galaxy's Edge, and I've been having a great time using the teleport style controls over the weekend. Tried the regular controls yesterday for the first time for about 20 minutes, and my god it was rough. Sweating, headache and sick feeling in the stomach. That last symptom lasted for 5 or 6 hours afterwards as well. I knew there would be some sort of adjustment period, but had no idea it would be such a strong reaction. I've never had any motion or travel sickness before, so I have a new found sympathy for those that suffer from it.

I mainly bought it to play the RE4 remake in VR, because I adore that game. Hopefully with your tips I can build up to being able to play it!
Awesome, glad you had fun with the teleportation option at least! That’s another one of those common comfort setting in addition to the vignette and/or snap turning, and if it doesn’t feel like too much of a downgrade for you, there’s no shame in playing through the whole thing like that! Many games offer toggle options for all of those settings, in addition to being able to adjust the turning speed if/when you do progress to smooth movement. VR is an interesting beast in that it is an expensive add-on with fewer, shorter experiences and personalized adjustments that need to be dialed in for comfort, but when it hits right there is just something special about it, especially when you have an ‘aha’ moment like being able to blindly reach a gun around a corner instead of looking, or catching a grenade mid air and lobbing it back at someone lol. Having a less involved pallet cleanser game like Beat Saber, Walkabout Mini Golf, or a shooting gallery type game is also a nice way to break up sessions.

Last edited:
Back