Iron man repaint advice metallic paint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogul1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm going to be repainting my Iron man Bones figure. It has great detail but the dirty gold style frame looks a bit crap. I was going to mask it and do an alclad chrome job with an airbrush. But am also dabbling with the idea of using a paintbrush and thin layers so as to avoid brush marks.
With little space and the mess airbrushing causes I am gravitating towards a layered brush paint for this project. Just a couple of questions:

1) what paint would be good?
Have considered alclad 2, AK True Metal paint (not sure if this will work in layers), thinned enamel chrome or just a thinned acrylic metal paint. Have any of you repainted an iron man and if so what paint did you use etc

2) what should I clean him with first that wont damage the paint job thats already there? Should I just use a damp lint free cloth or is the other material on there that will need to be removed before the paint will adhere? (Oil cover spray like cheaper action figures etc)

I have previously airbrushed a bones arm for my winter soldier custom but its a bit different to masking an arm and masking the whole figure. Also, like I said airbrushing is not viable atm because of having no room in the house to do it and it not damaging wallpaper, carpet etc from the airborn paint and dust. Appreciate any advice provided.
b08171b669e6da90a7aa4a05bd306c04.jpg
73f67e016ffec91c941cc21591f574a3.jpg
f964c87598b05c3edbab6dc4354f36c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can see this is going to be a masking nightmare haha!

Luckily a lot of the parts come away from the figure meaning there isn't a massive issue with breaking the figure down too much
6300073ad459511f87035271adef7417.jpg

What silver paint do they use on sneaky do you think?
48a9acf9aad42e71985de0b362b5b5de.jpg

Gonna look into the true metal iron and dark aluminium. My worry id the waxy property of it.

Supposedly no brushstrokes with good layering and thin paint for mr Metal but will keep looking as O have time.

You can't brush Alclad paint, simply not possible

It's airbrush only.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I like spazstix way more than alclad, not to mention as I recall Alclad was super spendy. But you need to use their gloss black as a first coat. I use a $80 grow tent with a fan as a paint booth, and just throw the ducting out the window. Most of the paint gets caught in the ducting anyhow, not like we are painting cars lol. I used to customize transformers for years and posted lots of stuff tfw2k5. Spaz Stix has spray can versions as well.

Are we talking mirror chrome?? Thats what I think of with Alclad.

And as far as the figure itself, Ya know, the more I look, I think he wont be that bad in the pieces you already have him in. I would paint the base color like the chrome. And then hand brush out all the little stuff "drybrush method". Like once you have a mirror chrome base, nearly any fkn color is gonna look metallic on top of it lol. I have tried several golds and have not found one I am in love with "Hand Paints - Tamiya, P3, etc. But that also looks a little more brass to me on a chrome base. Or rather, I think the P3 Brass Balls would look great on that. Just my thoughts, I am a fkn geek that paints toys, not to be taken too seriously lol.

Oh, and get some fkn tiny brushes lol. Ones with a pointed tip for wiring and the like. You DONT want to **** this up lmfao. Take you forever to get back to step one. And If that is plastic I would wash it with soft dish-soap and a soft dish brush. I dont remember if they were doing die-cast with bones, but if he is, then I would probably just use an organic Windex like trader joes brand.

Oh and I know about 20 different shades of metal paints that are great. Every brand only tends to offer a few great colors and several ****** ones lol.

Back