J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm not a trekkie I don't care who's who in this series but out of curiosity why are you guys disappointed? Is it because the new guy looks so different than Ricardo Montalban?

For me personally it's because there was no need to go to Kahn. There is an entire universe of villains that opened up in the reboot, and they went with the same villain in the second movie of the series? It just shows a lack of imagination and vision if they are literally going to remake the original movies.

But having seen the link, I have the smallest hope that perhaps the headline, "Voyage into the new Star Trek Kirk and Kahn" might not mean what it's implying. It could mean that John Harrison (Cumberbach's character) is Kirk's "new" Kahn, meaning Kirk's new ultimate adversary.

But having seen the link, I have the smallest hope that perhaps the headline, "Voyage into the new Star Trek Kirk and Kahn" might not mean what it's implying. It could mean that John Harrison (Cumberbach's character) is Kirk's "new" Kahn, meaning Kirk's new ultimate adversary.

Or maybe the twist is that Khan is Khan but Chris Pine isn't really Kirk, but rather Khan's "new" Kirk, meaning Khan's new ultimate adversary. Hmmmm.

I'd suggest anyone upset by this news go watch Sherlock on netflix.
What, so we can get more upset about this overrated hack being cast as the lead villain in the Star Wars movie? You are a cruel, cruel man Kamandi.

This man:

ZdO3xbg.jpg

. . .is Sherlock Holmes. And I think that (superior) show is available on Netflix as well.

Ehhh...unless its written that he had major physical alteration I don't see how the Khan we know could look like Cumberbatch. And even then, do we want to watch Khan looking nothing like Khan. I'm not sure that we do.

I'm not convinced this is true in any case.

Since I'm not a trekkie I don't care who's who in this series but out of curiosity why are you guys disappointed? Is it because the new guy looks so different than Ricardo Montalban?

Yes, mostly for me. Partly that Ricardo Montalban did such a great job creating this character, both in the 60's and 80's that its almost sacrilegious for another person to play the character.

That, and while this movie universe is a alternative reality, Cumberbatch is supposed to be Ricardo Montalban - same person, different timelines, so it bugs the **** out of me that Khan is now a white dude from Britian, when Khan was a dude born in Mexico (actor at least).

To me, its like saying Darth Vader is going to be in EP VII, then they turn around and cast Ben Afleck as a dude in a robe and calling him the same character....its that jarring to me. Am I supposed to pretend now that Montalban was from ****ing Britian? Ah, I am mad at JJ right now if EW is correct

Yes, mostly for me. Partly that Ricardo Montalban did such a great job creating this character, both in the 60's and 80's that its almost sacrilegious for another person to play the character.

That, and while this movie universe is a alternative reality, Cumberbatch is supposed to be Ricardo Montalban - same person, different timelines, so it bugs the **** out of me that Khan is now a white dude from Britian, when Khan was a dude born in Mexico (actor at least).

To me, its like saying Darth Vader is going to be in EP VII, then they turn around and cast Ben Afleck as a dude in a robe and calling him the same character....its that jarring to me. Am I supposed to pretend now that Montalban was from ****ing Britian? Ah, I am mad at JJ right now if EW is correct

Very much agreed if this is true. I mean as I suggested in my last post in here it could be explained that he has his appearance and voice altered somewhere along the line but you're taking away some pretty important things that made Khan Khan and you have to wonder why bother at all? Why not just have it be someone else.

:lectureI would rather have Cumberbatch play Sauron in a Star Trek film:lecture

Very much agreed if this is true. I mean as I suggested in my last post in here it could be explained that he has his appearance and voice altered somewhere along the line but you're taking away some pretty important things that made Khan Khan and you have to wonder why bother at all? Why not just have it be someone else.

Well said, that's it for me...if you are going to make the character that different why bother calling him Khan...sure the new Kirk made the role his own, but you can still tell he's Kirk

Watching the trailer - the 2 min and 9 min versions, and 'knowing' he is Khan I just don't see Khan....Khan wasn't one to say things like, "I'm better....at everything...." type stuff...he's more like, "revenge is a dish best served...cold' type dude

:lectureI would rather have Cumberbatch play Sauron in a Star Trek film:lecture

Yes, that would be cool and could help seamlessly bridge STII to III with the reintroduction of the Borg in III.

I gotta agree. If you want to go with a eugenics-era supervillain - well, the Botany Bay was full of cryogenically frozen super-people...use one of them as the villain. Khan's chamber got crushed, and this guy is now the alpha dog. That would work.

Khan is supposed to be a Sikh warrior, that just doesn't fit with a white guy with a British accent. Besides, Cumberbatch-as-Khan still doesn't add up with what we've been told about this film. The threat is supposed to come from within Starfleet, and Cumberbatch wears a Starfleet uniform, so how could he be Khan?

I don't buy, at least not until there's more concrete evidence.

Yes, that would be cool and could help seamlessly bridge STII to III with the reintroduction of the Borg in III.

You know what's crazy? If you read the back story of Nero's ship (the Narada) from the first flick, you know it incorporated Borg technology in a major way. It's entirely possible the Borg could now make an appearance in this new timeline...

Back