Jerry Vanderstelt LORT Art

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red Green Blue !

Hi Guys.

Sorry, it's been nuts in the studio, and I just saw this question about my color choices.
Well, first off, I wanted to use the primary colors ( RGB ) to help create a special color/mood for each film painting. When looking at the box sets I was well aware of the fact that FOTR for instance used green for their packaging scheme.
Green just did not feel right for this film. In my opinion,Moria was the real highpoint in the film, and most of the trek through Moria was lit with blue lighting; cold and damp. Hence my blue approach!

Green is very "Rohan-ish" to me. If you recall in TTT book, Legolas was telling Gimli that the green smell of the grasslands of Rohan was far better than much needed sleep! If Rohan is my main theme in TTT ( and it is ) then green will work for me.

ROTK will be RED- Mt. Doom and the bitter struggle towards the end of the film will be my central theme. Other approaches can work well too, but I plan to stick to m' guns! Thanks guys!

That makes a lot of sense, Jerry! Thanks for sharing your thinking on that part of the artistic process !

I wish Jerry could do a 4th print based on the prologue (the first 10 minutes of FOTR). The way the prologue is narrated with mostly images and little scenes it would make for a heck of a print. Isildur, Galadriel, etc.

From the email
Hi folks.

It's time for an update! If all goes according to plan, Dec. 1 will be the day the lithos ( both Standard and Collectors Editions ) will be available. Exactly what time, I don't know but I'll try to inform you all as soon as it is officially up.

Thanks for your continued interest!

Jerry

Awesome news. Can't wait :rock:rock

Can't wait for it. Don't know if this answers the question, but is Dec 1st the day it will available for order, or the day they will actually be ready?

Can't wait for it. Don't know if this answers the question, but is Dec 1st the day it will available for order, or the day they will actually be ready?

Sorry if I confused anyone about that! Dec.1 ( if all goes to plan ) will be the day you can actually place an order..... the actual lithos are ready right now. I just have to make some preperations before hand : )

Jerry

Sorry if I confused anyone about that! Dec.1 ( if all goes to plan ) will be the day you can actually place an order..... the actual lithos are ready right now. I just have to make some preperations before hand : )

Jerry

Jerry

Ah, that cleared it up, thanks.

Hi,

I was wondering, how is it going to work on ordering them on ebay? I take it you're not going to have thousands of seperate auctions! Are you going to just have two auctions with just buy it now, one aution for the standard, one for the collector's editions? If so is the edition number you get, and the little extra drawing on the bottom left hand corner of the collector's one ging to be random?

Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering, how is it going to work on ordering them on ebay? I take it you're not going to have thousands of seperate auctions! Are you going to just have two auctions with just buy it now, one aution for the standard, one for the collector's editions? If so is the edition number you get, and the little extra drawing on the bottom left hand corner of the collector's one ging to be random?

Thanks!

Thousands of seperate auctions? NO WAY! That would be a mess for me to keep track of.
Actually, they will not be listed as auctions where you have to bid to get one, but they will be "fixed price" items that are listed in mutiples of hundreds at a time for instance. It will simply have a "buy it now" button or something like it.
If a person orders a Collectors Edition (remarqued ), the sketches at the bottom of the "Collector" lithos will be random, with a variety of characters or landscapes from the Fellowship film. The number you get will be in the order I receive a purchase. I have a log book for this, and will simply go down the list in order from lowest available number on.
I hope this info helps!

I think I failed to put an image up on this forum... I have a few going!

If I already did, oops, if not, here ya go!

VandersteltFellowshipfinalart.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey Jerry,

Are you at liberty to say whether or not you plan to have the character composition parallel each other from print to print? I'm curious as to whether or not we can expect something like Shelob stretching out her spidery legs in Sauron's place, Mt. Doom exploding in the Balrog's spot, and the crowned king Aragorn standing regally on the left of the ROTK print.

Hey Jerry,

Are you at liberty to say whether or not you plan to have the character composition parallel each other from print to print? I'm curious as to whether or not we can expect something like Shelob stretching out her spidery legs in Sauron's place, Mt. Doom exploding in the Balrog's spot, and the crowned king Aragorn standing regally on the left of the ROTK print.

Good question.

Actually I have a different plan than that, but it's hard to explain in words. It's only in my head at the moment. I don't want to pingeon-hole myself into a character placment theme, because I already have a repeating theme with the different map locations, background colorings, etc.
The layouts are the biggest challenge in trying to incapsulate a whole film in one sweep and still tell the story correctly. Thanks!

Jerry

Thousands of seperate auctions? NO WAY! That would be a mess for me to keep track of.
Actually, they will not be listed as auctions where you have to bid to get one, but they will be "fixed price" items that are listed in mutiples of hundreds at a time for instance. It will simply have a "buy it now" button or something like it.
If a person orders a Collectors Edition (remarqued ), the sketches at the bottom of the "Collector" lithos will be random, with a variety of characters or landscapes from the Fellowship film. The number you get will be in the order I receive a purchase. I have a log book for this, and will simply go down the list in order from lowest available number on.
I hope this info helps!

Thanks for keeping us updated on all the news Jerry.
I'm getting the emails from you too but I keep meaning to ask you if I may. On the Collectors edition(which I intend getting), for the remarque or picture, can we choose what that can be?

I personally am not bothered about low numbers but I would really love something about my favourite characters, either Gimli or Bilbo as an added extra on the piece.

Many thanks Jerry and again I must say what a stunning piece of Art this is. So if this is any indication of the quality then bring 'em on , bring 'em all on......:D
Shell
x

Good question.

Actually I have a different plan than that, but it's hard to explain in words.
The layouts are the biggest challenge in trying to incapsulate a whole film in one sweep and still tell the story correctly. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it must be painstaking to decide what to keep and more importantly what to omit. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with TTT and especially ROTK since the third film is my favorite movie of all time. So far I've really been lost in the FOTR print. I find myself just studying it, marveling at how Gandalf blends with Legolas' bow and the map itself. After some time of looking at the details suddenly the Fellowship silhouettes just leapt out from the background. So many wonderful touches, its really fantastic.

As for the colors of the DVD's, perhaps they have to do with Peter Jackson's comments about each film having a racial theme; elves for FOTR and humans for TTT. I didn't hear the theme for ROTK but I would guess it to be orcs, since in ROTK you see the most of their "civilization." So green might fit the woodland elves, red the power lusting humans, and blue for the blue/grey tinted lands of the orcs (as you mentioned in reference to Moria). Just a thought. :)

Thanks for keeping us updated on all the news Jerry.
I'm getting the emails from you too but I keep meaning to ask you if I may. On the Collectors edition(which I intend getting), for the remarque or picture, can we choose what that can be?

I personally am not bothered about low numbers but I would really love something about my favourite characters, either Gimli or Bilbo as an added extra on the piece.

Many thanks Jerry and again I must say what a stunning piece of Art this is. So if this is any indication of the quality then bring 'em on , bring 'em all on......:D
Shell
x

I believe Jerry has stated he will not be taking requests for the remarques as it would simply be too confusing trying to keep track of everyone's requests. Since we already know exactly what we will be getting in terms of the litho itself, I think the idea of not knowing what we will be getting in terms of the remarque just adds to the excitement and anticipation when we finally receive our litho's.

I believe Jerry has stated he will not be taking requests for the remarques as it would simply be too confusing trying to keep track of everyone's requests. Since we already know exactly what we will be getting in terms of the litho itself, I think the idea of not knowing what we will be getting in terms of the remarque just adds to the excitement and anticipation when we finally receive our litho's.

Has he?, I must have missed that bit.Would have been nice in theory though but I can see 2000 requests would be a lot to keep track of.
Thanks for the info Woodsy :duff
:D

Hi everyone.

I just caught the talk about remarqued requests? Yes, I really wish I could take requests! It would make me feel that I am really in touch with everyone's favorite characters and moments in the movie. But honestly, it would be too difficult to track 2000 times! Also, I would have to potentially do this 4000 times again with TTT and ROTK. It's a lot of sketching regardless! Not to complain; I love what I'm doing! Like Woodsy said, let it be a surprise! One thinf for sure about the remarques: they will be from the FOTR film only with the exception of Gollum, who did technically show up in the film!

Anyway, here is some news for everyone. Once I hit the "submit" button, it's too late to change my mind!

I just made it known to my newsletter group that I plan to move the release date to Wednesday, Nov. 21 sometime in the afternoon. I hope this works for everyone. Thanks again!

Back