Marvel Studios : X-Men '97 - 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea the movies were good for the time but the fox films were def not really xmen films. They were literally cameos with the focus on wolverine

Yea the movies were good for the time but the fox films were def not really xmen films. They were literally cameos with the focus on wolverine
I am conflicted because the later Fox moves that drew more heavily on the look of the comics, more spectacular action scenes, and a young team, were less well received and meh at the box office. They put too much focus on Professor X, Magento, and Mystique, which meant that the characterisation of the actual X-men was weak, inconsistent, and entirely plot driven. They were supporting characters in their own franchise.

The way the first one had dark visuals, a moody atmosphere, and low key power usage really drew me in, and a wider audience who had never heard of the X-Men. Apart from Rogue (and Iceman who was a bit too sensible) the core of the characters was there. Even though X2 was awesome, by the end of it I felt that we were two movies in and we still hadn't really got a proper movie about the X-Men. While it had development issues, X3 did transition to give us that. It was just a shame that the delays meant that we lost Cyclops' most iconic story as Wolverine stepped in to replace him when Marsden left to make Superman. By the end of X3 though, we had a decent iconic core team lined up - Storm, Iceman, Shadowcat, Angel, and Colossus, with Rogue lined up to permanently steal some classic powers when the cure suddenly failed.

The decision to make the main movies AND spin-off movies have a focus on Wolverine made them lose faith in the other characters to carry the franchise and the decision to reboot rather than do X4 impacted franchise's momentum because we had to start from scratch, and then again in DOFP, and then again in Apocalypse.

If they had stuck with X4 as the Marauders Massacre, while Wolvie worked through his issues in the Wolverine with Yukio, they could have taken down Angel, Shadowcat, and Colossus, like in the comics. This would then have led them to X5 - the Fall of the Mutants with Wolverine returning alongside replacement X-Men Havok, Polaris, and Dazzler, with English Betsy being brought in as the replacement telepath and maybe Gambit turning against Sinister after the Massacre. At this point, Gambit can also reveal that Scott and Jean are still alive as guinea pigs in Sinister's lab.

Then instead of a Wolvie spin off, do a Muir Island spin off, where the wounded X-Men Shadowcat, and Colossus (maybe Nightcrawler and Multiple Man?) discover Professor X is alive in his dead twin's body and recuperate while facing off against Proteus.

X6 could have then either been DoFP or Age of Apocalypse, featuring Cable and the rescue of Scott and Jean for a happy ending as per DoFP.

X1-3, the Wolverine, and DoFP actually fit together really well as a satisfying arc I would love for the MCU to build from there as more of a soft reboot than reinvent everything with their own spin from scratch. I'm quite apprehensive that they are going for a bright costume over-powered action oriented X-Men that could be as hollow as the prequel sequels.

I agree the films were too wolverine heavy, but the sad irony was that Jackman wasn't the classic comic wolverine in many ways. The cartoon has a chance to better thread the needle of treating him right and giving him an appropriate level of focus. But he needs more than he's had in my opinion. He is the one character they go out of their way to leave behind when others go out for a mission, etc.

Love what they did with Rogue and Gambit. Pretty intense scenes so far. I didnt have high hopes for that serie, because of the people involved, but I'm glad I was wrong and they do know how to write great dialogues and overall great story telling. I read somewhere though that the ratings are really low. Even if on Disney, the kids dont watch that show.

Kids play Roblox and Fortnite. They don't watch cartoons, play with toys and read comics...50 year olds do!

Just a thought...

After revisiting the X-stories of old w/ the show, I realize that there are so many X-stories and characters that could easily become a real mess for a mutant MCU feature film. But I wonder...wouldn't it be real ballsy of Marvel to go the slow route on this one to build anticipation and help character development. For example...

Film 1
A (somewhat recent) period piece featuring the five OG X-men. Establish Charles, Erik and a few others. Lots of time for character and thematic/tonal development.

Film 2
Deadly Genesis. Toss in the Bronze Age heavyweights (e.g. Logan, Ororo, Piotr, Kurt, etc.). Up the stakes with some new villains for the growing team. Maybe skip the Krakoa/Kid Vulcan thing (though it could be a potential betrayal arc for Charles to test the team ala Civil War).

Film 3
Modern age. Gambit, Rogue, Bishop, Jubilee, etc. Wrapping up a three-movie arc with a full mutant ensemble would be real nice. The threat would have to be considerable, but would we necessarily have to do the Dark Phoenix thing again?

Mind you, it would be real gutsy to hold back the X-characters that everyone wants to see ($) until later films, so it most-likely has zero chance of happening. But, I can remember a time when a major media conglomerate took the risk of prolonging expectations with a multi-picture narrative to instead nurture story and promote longevity (and amass huge box office). Sure made for a rather interesting 2012/2019, didn't it?

I’ve whipped this idea out before, probably in a Captain Marvel discussion thread on the board, but I think Marvel is missing an obvious slow build for the X-men that makes sense. Introduce mutants over time through many of their other connections to the Marvel Universe. The next Captain Marvel movie should be Marvel vs Rogue. The next Black Panther movie should have Storm. Beast should start chilling with Shield or Avengers R&D. New plots can be developed. Professor X should be arguing with Mister Fantastic. Ant-man returns to the concept of thief caper movie for his next outing and he keeps getting outplayed by Gambit. Mutants should just creep into the MCU in somewhat antagonistic/villainous roles until it makes sense that they form up a team in a new way. Then they could do a cinematic X-men vs Avengers civil war plot. You cannot really do the X-men as an underdog concept by just having them magically show up in a nonsensical fashion like the Eternals. But they’ll more likely just get all crammed in through an uninteresting multiverse ex machina device just to fall flat.

Last edited:
Love what they did with Rogue and Gambit. Pretty intense scenes so far. I didnt have high hopes for that serie, because of the people involved, but I'm glad I was wrong and they do know how to write great dialogues and overall great story telling. I read somewhere though that the ratings are really low. Even if on Disney, the kids dont watch that show.
I don’t even think this is aimed at kids, more so people mid-late 20’s and above.

They took what was a pretty good kids show in the 90s and turned it into some of the best superhero media we’ve ever seen on screen.

I’ve whipped this idea out before, probably in a Captain Marvel discussion thread on the board, but I think Marvel is missing an obvious slow build for the X-men that makes sense. Introduce mutants over time through many of their other connections to the Marvel Universe. The next Captain Marvel movie should be Marvel vs Rogue. The next Black Panther movie should have Storm. Beast should start chilling with Shield or Avengers R&D. New plots can be developed. Professor X should be arguing with Mister Fantastic. Ant-man returns to the concept of thief caper movie for his next outing and he keeps getting outplayed by Gambit. Mutants should just creep into the MCU in somewhat antagonistic/villainous roles until it makes sense that they form up a team in a new way. Then they could do a cinematic X-men vs Avengers civil war plot. You cannot really do the X-men as an underdog concept by just having them magically show up in a nonsensical fashion like the Eternals. But they’ll more likely just get all crammed in through an uninteresting multiverse ex machina device just to fall flat.
The days of world building are over. I've said it in this thread before, Disney was the death knell of the MCU. When they officially became involved and started to push their ideas. Now its just about trying to make Billion dollar blockbusters. But they don't even understand where they failed and why.

No one in Hollywood understands why they fail, let alone own up to and admit it. Instead they attack the fans who are their paying customers.

I don’t know why marvels 2 just didn’t have them fight rogue. Would have been a hit movie. I said this before but captain marvel isn’t really popular even tho they pushed her heavily she still wasn’t to popular . Kinda weird but I mean hey.

I don’t know why marvels 2 just didn’t have them fight rogue. Would have been a hit movie. I said this before but captain marvel isn’t really popular even tho they pushed her heavily she still wasn’t to popular . Kinda weird but I mean hey.
Well she was cool when she had that big juicy thong ass in the early 2000's comics. Then she became a woke icon and sucked.

That's what Disney does. Push an agenda or narrative regarding a character that no ones cares to hear or see. Well...except for Zurdo.

Another banger. Just give these writers the MCU X-Men.

Also those cameos.

Magneto was right.

Last edited:
Back