New DCD 13" - Black Canary & The Spirit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering getting an Ollie so I can nab a Canary and pair them up

I was just thinking along those lines Mike. Get a Green Arrow and a Black Canary to go with him and then my Batman, Batgirl, and Nightwing won't be lonely all by themselves. The sad part is I just read my first Green Arrow comic yesterday, it was really good. It really doesn't take much for me to want new toys...

9821_a_full.jpg

Funny, Canary comes with 2 different heads, both with removeable masks and Spirit's mask isn't removeable at all.

9827_a_full.jpg

Whenever I try to get out of this line they show photos like this that just pull me back in. These figures look great, DC Direct really tries to pull out all of the stops for these figures. I love that Black Canary has 2 heads, even though the screaming head is obviously inspired/taken from Andy B's original sculpt. Real hair would have been cool and made the head more poseable but the plastic hair looks better in my opinion.
Everytime they put out figures like this it makes me want to jump head first back into this series.

Thanks Andy - I look forward to seeing them.

I guess this Canary costume is accurate - but I'll always remember her from the 70-80s where the stockings were blue. And I know that the dark blue was supposed to be shading for black, but all black just looks wrong to me.

This is the Canary costume I'd prefer...

Black_Canary_by_hawk5.jpg

Ditto. And ditto the earlier wish for rooted hair too (the proper soft saran type too, DCD, not the cheap rubbish you used on Batgirl - anyone would think you did that on purpose to pour scorn on supports of rooted locks)... doesn't bode well at all for Wonder Woman :(

Time to cross fingers for a blue costume/rooted variant?

... but I guess for Dinah to be rooted they'd need a whole different sculpt made 'cos of the shrinkages of vinyl.

Disappointed by the overall look of the Black Canary... more so that they've gone with Miller's version of The Spirit too. Well, that's about $140+ DCD have just saved me.

Nick

Here are a few shots of the sculpt... I don't have any good pics of the screaming head but I'll see what I can find and post those later. We originally aimed for a particular supermodel in the likeness but the final sculpt did end up with a lot of Michelle Pfeiffer in her by accident. Also, I initially sculpted her bald because they wanted to try rooted hair again, but for one reason or another that was abandoned and sculpted hair was required.

bc_1.jpg

bc_2.jpg

bc_4.jpg

BC_3.jpg

BC_5.jpg

Cool pics Andy!

I sure wish DC was making these in true 1:6 scale though. Looks like since their Ledger Joker they've begun icreasing the quality of this line. The clothes look great. Much better than the Two Face abomination.

Thanks Andy - I look forward to seeing them.

I guess this Canary costume is accurate - but I'll always remember her from the 70-80s where the stockings were blue. And I know that the dark blue was supposed to be shading for black, but all black just looks wrong to me.

Black_Canary_by_hawk5.jpg

I'm with DD on this one, I wish they went with the classic look...heres hoping that we get it from Mattel's DCUC line.

Andy,
It looks like you hit another homerun with the Black Canary sculpt. I know it was mentioned that she looks like a blond Brooke Shields. IMHO Brooke Shields never looked this good. Hopefuly DCD has you do all of their 1/6 sculpts from now on (including Wonder Woman). I just received Green Arrow and love the sculpt as well. I am also glad the costume covers Black Canary's hip joints. These bodies are not made for thongs.
Alan

I see some Heidi Klum in the original sculpt, although not as much in the finished product. I wished they had gone with rooted hair - but now they've set the precedent I can't see some being rooted and others sculpted.

Really? I don't see Klum at all....a bit of Giselle but not a lot.....who was the model inspiration?

The sculpt is good but man their paint apps are terrible. I can't believe how huge that doll-dot is. :pow

Last edited:
I like the Canary sculpts a lot, especially the "Canary Cry" version. They are going to look superb on my kitbashes of BC I'll do. I wish I liked the base bodies better and could just leave the sets alone as they are though. It's getting expensive just buying these for parts. But the female bodies bother me even more than the males.
Don't particularly like "The Spirit", which is too bad since he's one of my favorite characters. It just doesn't feel terribly special. I think a different suit than this, a second "battle damaged" headsculpt and removeable masks would make me feel a bit differently, but as is, it's a no sale.
Anecdote time. When I was a lad I worked in gas station in White Plains NY, and I used to put gas in Will Eisner's car. It was before comic conventions and the like were popular, and Dennis Kitchen was a mere gleam in the eye of the land of reprints, and he thought it was amazing some one my age even knew who he was. A very nice man, and he tipped the attendants. Not everyone did.

Here are a few shots of the sculpt... I don't have any good pics of the screaming head but I'll see what I can find and post those later. We originally aimed for a particular supermodel in the likeness but the final sculpt did end up with a lot of Michelle Pfeiffer in her by accident. Also, I initially sculpted her bald because they wanted to try rooted hair again, but for one reason or another that was abandoned and sculpted hair was required.

bc_1.jpg

bc_2.jpg

bc_4.jpg

BC_3.jpg

BC_5.jpg

This sculpt looks amazing and it is a real testament to your skill since everyone is looking at the same pic but seeing different beautiful women in the sculpt. I personally see Michelle Pfeipher but I also see Jolie, Klum, Giselle and some definite Rebecca Romijn as others have mentioned.

Hopefully you will be doing the Wonder Woman sculpt. This head could have been WW, even with the current hair sculpt in my opinion, all you have to do is paint the hair black. With that being said I can't wait to see the eventual WW figure, whenever it comes out.

Glad you all like the sculpt, hopefully the production figures will turn out well.

I didn't sculpt Wonder Woman for this line, as far as I know that sculpt has been in the bag for some time now and they are just fine tuning other development issues. I'm as anxious to see that one as you guys are!

Back