NFL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its true they did get it right...the raiders still scored a TD at the end if there defense would have stepped up when the Charger's offense kicked it into high gear then they would have won. so all this talk about the ref's making a bad call is stupid since all the raiders had to do was stop the chargers and they didnt so they lost

:lecture :lecture :lecture

QFT!

'Sup, IJ! :wave :rock

Leave it to my Patriots to give me a heart attack again and ending up with 2 more TD's to win the game with 4 minutes left. Gooooooooooo Pats

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 of the NFL Rule Book (page 51) states that 'if a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact with an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

By this rule...it is a touchdown. Everyone all the way up to Goodell who says it is not is mistaken.

Control of the football was established until the reciever hit the groung (his feet). Further, he may have lost control of the ball momentarily, but he regained it prior to the ball touching the ground as he held the ball to his side...in control of it...until the tip of the ball hit the ground and knocked it out. The rule does not say he had to maintain the control after he was laying down...just until he touched the ground...which he did and if he lost control he had to regain it before the ball hit the ground...which he did.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 of the NFL Rule Book (page 51) states that 'if a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact with an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

By this rule...it is a touchdown. Everyone all the way up to Goodell who says it is not is mistaken.

Control of the football was established until the reciever hit the groung (his feet). Further, he may have lost control of the ball momentarily, but he regained it prior to the ball touching the ground as he held the ball to his side...in control of it...until the tip of the ball hit the ground and knocked it out. The rule does not say he had to maintain the control after he was laying down...just until he touched the ground...which he did and if he lost control he had to regain it before the ball hit the ground...which he did.

He clearly caught the ball, both his feet touched the ground, THEN the ball touched the ground when he landed. Even if the ball bounced out and the defender grabbed it, it would be a touchdown anyway

He clearly caught the ball, both his feet touched the ground, THEN the ball touched the ground when he landed. Even if the ball bounced out and the defender grabbed it, it would be a touchdown anyway

That is my thought.

Badmoon - I am not seeing a lot of Love for Phili against N.O. this week. But don't worry...I have faith in them!

He didn't have control of the ball. The ball touched the ground first and he never regained control. The replays shows that.The refs looked at the replay and ruled it as such. End of story.

Chargers 24 oakland 20.

:peace

DeSean Jackson will be named NFC player for the week. :rock

I am not worried about the Saints. Too many other good players. This is what I meant before when I said you can't blame the quarterback. He is one guy. The rest of the team needs to step up and the Eagles have already been doing and doing it well. Hell their entire O-LIne is practically makeshift and they dominated.

He didn't have control of the ball. The ball touched the ground first and he never regained control. The replays shows that.The refs looked at the replay and ruled it as such. End of story.

Chargers 24 oakland 20.

:peace

LOL...the score is pretty weak evidence of control of that ball. What do you consider control? To me, his hand was on the ball and it could not move without his hand allowing it to, and it did not move until the ground knocked it out. What more is necessary for control?

And no gestures of peace are necessary. I don't get mad about simple things like this. I am simply interested in the counter point of view.

Is this play on Youtube yet? I haven't seen it. I hope it's on ESPN in a few.

Touchdown

Watch the highlight video at about 1:32. The second quarter. The commentator states that the rules say that you have to have possesion until completion of the play, but that is not how the rule reads.

LOL...the score is pretty weak evidence of control of that ball. What do you consider control? To me, his hand was on the ball and it could not move without his hand allowing it to, and it did not move until the ground knocked it out. What more is necessary for control?

And no gestures of peace are necessary. I don't get mad about simple things like this. I am simply interested in the counter point of view.

Cool :D

To me ball control is firmly securing the ball within a players arms.
Murphy didn't have complete control. In the replays I saw the ball coming loose prior to it touching the ground.

Cool :D

To me ball control is firmly securing the ball within a players arms.
Murphy didn't have complete control. In the replays I saw the ball coming loose prior to it touching the ground.

And that is what I do not see. I see him pinning that ball to his side so that it does not move until the point of the ball hits the ground and knocks it out. That is good enough for control to me.

On a side note, I am completely OK with refs getting calls wrong. I like the twists that it adds to the game and it has been a part of the game for as long as football has been around. The better teams overcome them (and that does not mean they win the games, just that they make back what the refs take away).

It doesn't matter if he has control when he hits the ground though. If he loses contorl at all, even because of the ground, it's not complete.

A friend of mine, a Pats fan :D, said the dame thing.

All I know for sure is that faider nation is crying foul again...just like they did during the Patriots game in 2002 where the Pats beat them 16-13 in overtime.

He will be named this week by I believe SI.com. I heard the tail end of it on Comcast sportsnet.

Hence why I heard the tail end. LOL! NFC special teams player of the week that is. I stand corrected.

Wide receiver DeSean Jackson will be officially named the NFC's Special Teams Player of the Week for his 85-yard punt return touchdown in the 38-10 win over the Carolina Panthers on Wednesday. It is the first time that Jackson has earned this award. Jackson's second quarter return provided the game's winning points.

Jackson fielded the Jason Baker punt at the Eagles' 15 and ran down the left seam. Juqua Parker provided the key block near midfield. Once Jackson cut past Baker towards the left sideline, he was gone and raced in for his second-career punt return touchdown to put the Eagles up 17-7. The Eagles scored 28 points in the second quarter and led 31-10 at halftime. Jackson is the first Eagle to win the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week award since David Akers in 2005. Sav Rocca was named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Month last September.

Back