Official 12" Hot Toys Superman returns Image Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I've asked Geewhiz but they gave me every excuse in the book as to why they this suit is "too complicated" and only HT has the tech to make this thing. I personally think it was BS considering all the complicated designs they've done for other ppl and probably just blew me off b/c I'm a nobody in when it comes to customizers. I wouldn't know how to contact any of the bigger name tailors to see if they would do it. Would probably need DoggieDoc or Robbiethepainter (or someone similar) to make the chest piece, boots and belt.

Yeh that is BS. Yunsil could do it I would wager, but the wait would be huge.

Plus the biggest stumbling block is I don?t think the numbers would be there to warrant a run. 👎🏻

I agree. I've asked Geewhiz but they gave me every excuse in the book as to why they this suit is "too complicated" and only HT has the tech to make this thing. I personally think it was BS considering all the complicated designs they've done for other ppl and probably just blew me off b/c I'm a nobody in when it comes to customizers. I wouldn't know how to contact any of the bigger name tailors to see if they would do it. Would probably need DoggieDoc or Robbiethepainter (or someone similar) to make the chest piece, boots and belt.

The suit wouldn’t be too difficult for someone that is good at sewing. I expect the hardest part would be sourcing the material itself. The shield on the chest could be modelled in 3d and painted up easily enough and the same with the boots and the belt. The main issue here is the will to go ahead. I am probably one of the biggest fans of the movie(I only say that because I love every part of it, not trying to split hairs or claim you guys aren’t right up standing next to me with how much you love it), but I wouldn’t have the cash to invest in a custom figure. You’d have to decide ahead of time what the body was to be used and it would have to be tailored to that. I’m more of a fan of a figure with more articulation than going with a seamless body which can look weird when it’s in a flying pose.
I reckon it could be done if we could get enough people interested and ready to pony up the dough. And I’d love to have a newer take on the character. I still think, as good as Waruna’s sculpts are, no-one has gotten close enough on the sculpt for me to start thinking a perfect version is possible. And the head is the most important part.

From what Geewhiz told me, the hardest part would be the screen printing of the line work and the diamond pattern on the suit. They said they don?t have those capabilities. They also said they didn?t have the ability to make the chest symbol or belt, therefore wouldn?t do it since they could not make the entire outfit. Lastly the leather like cape would be too thick (according to them). When I said I had my own chest symbol and belt from the HT figure, they still claimed it was impossible to make the suit. So yea, just all the excuses b/c a couple months later they announced they were working with a well known customizer to make the Routh Kingdom Come suit and showed a fabric sample of the tiny S screen printing they did just like the full size suit has. So basically I wasn?t cool enough for them to do the Returns project :lol

From what Geewhiz told me, the hardest part would be the screen printing of the line work and the diamond pattern on the suit. They said they don?t have those capabilities. They also said they didn?t have the ability to make the chest symbol or belt, therefore wouldn?t do it since they could not make the entire outfit. Lastly the leather like cape would be too thick (according to them). When I said I had my own chest symbol and belt from the HT figure, they still claimed it was impossible to make the suit. So yea, just all the excuses b/c a couple months later they announced they were working with a well known customizer to make the Routh Kingdom Come suit and showed a fabric sample of the tiny S screen printing they did just like the full size suit has. So basically I wasn?t cool enough for them to do the Returns project :lol

It's always the way. For me, although i grew up watching the Reeve movies, and i love Cavill in the role(At least in MOS), i connect with the Routh portrayal most as he's shown to be vulnerable. I'd love to have the cash to throw at a fully custom SR figure, but i can't even consider that right now.
And yeah, it seems that SR isn't the cool version to want a figure of right now, lol.

It's always the way. For me, although i grew up watching the Reeve movies, and i love Cavill in the role(At least in MOS), i connect with the Routh portrayal most as he's shown to be vulnerable. I'd love to have the cash to throw at a fully custom SR figure, but i can't even consider that right now.
And yeah, it seems that SR isn't the cool version to want a figure of right now, lol.

I didn't grow up on Reeve. I grew up on the Animated Series and Lois & Clark, so Tim Daly and Dean Cain so they'll always hold a special place for me. But the first Superman I saw on the big screen was Superman Returns so I'll always love it, even with it's faults. The irony is that just like WB lost faith in Snyder/Cavill, they also lost faith in Singer and Routh. From what Singer said, the second movie would've had a lot more action which I would've loved to see. Even his "director's Cut" of Superman Returns would've been a little more fleshed out, especially with that better opening scene of him traveling to the remains of Krypton. We probably would've also had a buffer Superman as Routh regretted not having enough time to get as large as he wanted for the role. But he definitely embodied the man of steel very well IMO. I love Cavill and I'm liking Tyler Hoechlin the more I watch his show, but Routh was pretty great and still remains a favorite of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if HT no longer has the Returns license. Unlike Batman who gets a re-up every few years so that they can retain the license, we got a few Returns figures and that was that. I wish SOMEONE would make a new figure be it custom or company.

I didn't grow up on Reeve. I grew up on the Animated Series and Lois & Clark, so Tim Daly and Dean Cain so they'll always hold a special place for me.

Oh, yeah, i watched those shows too, growing up. My first Superman was Reeve, but i have a special place in my heart for Routh's portrayal.

But the first Superman I saw on the big screen was Superman Returns so I'll always love it, even with it's faults. The irony is that just like WB lost faith in Snyder/Cavill, they also lost faith in Singer and Routh.

It was disheartening when SR was released. All the critics loved it, but it came out at that point where the internet was already a thing, and the haters were very vocal. It still holds high ratings at all the review websites, but it cost 204 million(It's also projected that the figure goes up past 264 million when you factor in all the Nic Cage/Tim Burton shennanigans), and another 100 million in advertising budget worldwide, so it barely broke even with a 400 million gross. I love the film, though, and the score is great. I'm sitting at my desk at work, but i'm going to put it on in the background now, just for the nostalgia, lol.

From what Singer said, the second movie would've had a lot more action which I would've loved to see. Even his "director's Cut" of Superman Returns would've been a little more fleshed out, especially with that better opening scene of him traveling to the remains of Krypton. We probably would've also had a buffer Superman as Routh regretted not having enough time to get as large as he wanted for the role.

That's another weird thing. When you see him in the behind the scenes stuff of him working out, he looks huge. While he wasn't as hench as Cavill, he still had a monster look, but i think he was let down by a lack of definition in the suit(But i still like that suit myself).

But he definitely embodied the man of steel very well IMO. I love Cavill and I'm liking Tyler Hoechlin the more I watch his show, but Routh was pretty great and still remains a favorite of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if HT no longer has the Returns license. Unlike Batman who gets a re-up every few years so that they can retain the license, we got a few Returns figures and that was that. I wish SOMEONE would make a new figure be it custom or company.

It wouldn't surprise me that they let the licence lapse. I also wouldn't be surprised if their licences back in the day were figure by figure. I know they now hold the Marvel/SW licences in perpetuity with carte blanch to make whatever they want with an ongoing percentage fee for product sold(Pending approval of the final sculpts of the figures in question). It would be nice if they revisited this one. Or if anyone did. But it's unlikely at this stage.
And that's a shame.

Back