Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Franchise Merchandise Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Hot Toys Pirates of the Caribbean Thread

Got Jack, today.

Firstly, it's bloody awesome.

Secondly, the Medi Jack was WAY easier to pose out of the box. Still need to get all those trinkets on his belt. The mermaid/vertebrae trinket is so tiny!

Don't understand all the ballyhoo over his coat color. Jack's coat has subtle grays/yellows/blues AND BROWNS within the fabric. I like the color! Looks like it's been weathered by the sea!!

https://www.lsfabrics.com/store/fabric_catalog.php?cPath=&pid=2201

Last edited:

Will Turner and Cannibal Jack are up at Sideshow...for PREVIEW?!? :confused:

I'm a little surprised they're not up for pre-order already!

I had to readjust everything on Jack. His sword belt is adjustable as well at the buckle however, like Mualfan said, it is too short. :monkey2

One thing that really bugs me about this Jack is the skin tone, it's just a hideous shade. I have trouble seeing Depp in this sculpt so I am glad there will be a 2nd version. The clothing however is tops!! :rock

Oh and King- thanks for the props! :rock

His face is a little dark...OK, very dark. But it was in the film too. Very tan and weather-beaten.

I don't know... I have so many different skin shades in my collection, from yellowish to pink to flesh to whatever this Sparrow color is... it hardly matters really. As long as the faces within the line look right together.

That's one issue for me was how dark his face was on this figure.

Yeah, he's a bit too dark, and Medi was too pale. Somewhere in the middle (like the V2) would be just right.

I noticed the scabbard belt was a bit short too, but very nicely made :rock

Don't understand all the ballyhoo over his coat color. Jack's coat has subtle grays/yellows/blues AND BROWNS within the fabric. I like the color! Looks like it's been weathered by the sea!!

Jack's coat does have a grainy look to it with subtle colors woven in, but the primary shade is a light charcoal grey, where the HT jacket is more a chocolate brown.

2.jpg

cjs3.jpg

just took advantage of the godfather's offer to get a swann -- pictures you all have posted swayed me over -- thanks for that. . . :lol -- can't wait to get her next to my jack, and then have the will added to the display.

i like his skin tone. nice blending of different shades and they even included that boyle or bloody scar or whatever that thing is on his jaw. you guys are just too use to sideshow's one tone "peach" color paint they use on every figure they do in a paint by numbers scheme.:lol

Have to agree with you on that one Sean, while I'm not really bothered by it the jacket is too brown. But it certainly could be worse than the difference between charcoal and chocolate.

you guys are just too use to sideshow's one tone "peach" color paint they use on every figure

There's truth in that.

But as I sit here with Luke Bespin, Leia and now Sparrow on my desk, I'm liking the dark hue of the Sparrow face... he actually looks more realistic next to the other two. Leia is a bit yellow... Luke has a good overall skin tone... but Sparrow really looks lifelike. Of course it's night and he's only lit by an overhead ceiling light... but his darker tone just looks more real right now. I haven't seen him in daylight yet.

Have to agree with you on that one Sean, while I'm not really bothered by it the jacket is too brown. But it certainly could be worse than the difference between charcoal and chocolate.

Oh without a doubt the difference could be worse. I wish I still had pics of the proto jacket, it was damn close to the movie color and material, that's the only reason it bothers me a bit with the jacket. If HT had been off target all along, I could care less, but from proto to production, they improved everything from boots to his head paint apps, except the jacket was a downgrade, and with HT's history of improvement from proto to production pieces, I was just left wondering, what happened.

As for the paint apps on Jack's skin, the tone just looks like a dirty white man who's been out in the sun a bit, but there is a nice tone worked into his cheeks. I find his apps to be some of HT's best, and in fact he's the first human I've gotten from them where I felt the apps no longer looked toyish, followed by the breathtaking Rambo 3 figure. I think the paint apps are equal to the quality of Sideshow's human portraits, but the big difference is HT's capturing of skin texture now creates more light and shadow effects on the face that give the extra touch of realism. If the faces weren't textured, I'm sure the paintn apps would lose some impact.

i like his skin tone. nice blending of different shades and they even included that boyle or bloody scar or whatever that thing is on his jaw. you guys are just too use to sideshow's one tone "peach" color paint they use on every figure they do in a paint by numbers scheme.:lol

No, SS figs look like white people look where as Sparrow while being a white guy looks African American as my Dad put it. It doesnt take away too much from the figure as a whole but to say I'm impressed by the paint apps on my first HT figure wouldn't be the total truth. If I'm paying over $100 bucks for a 1:6th scale figure I expect a little better results.

Got my V1 Jack. Great figure, awesome accessories, as expected from HT. The sculpt, however, isn't very strong and the darkened face is just too much. :emperor

I think the paint apps are equal to the quality of Sideshow's human portraits, but the big difference is HT's capturing of skin texture now creates more light and shadow effects on the face that give the extra touch of realism.

I have to agree here, after finally seeing Jack in daylight. Granted the overall skin tone is dark, if you really look at the face it has such realistic paint apps... the chin and around the eyes are lighter (where the skin would be thinner) while the cheek area is redder and darker. The eyes have a coat of gloss on them that really catches the light.

The eyes have a coat of gloss on them that really catches the light.

And finally more subtle eyelashes, their first Rambo, WOW, almost has chick eyes the lashes were so obvious.

I don't think he looks like a non-caucasian, he just looks like one that's had gun powder and canon powder and who knows what else in the air around him sticking to his greasy skin over the years, I actually think the early v2 looks a little too caucasian.

I don't know what's going on with Elizabeth, FexEx tracking still says today, but last update was leaving Cali days ago, she may still turn up, I had another item once that FexEx never updated, I wasn't expecting, and there it came, sure hope that's the case this time, I've been looking forward to her, especially having watched the movie twice already since I bought it Tuesday :)

I can see that and I expected it to be a little darker cause of all that but he just looks too dark. Then my Dad said something and it kind of confirmed it for me. Its fine though as the figure just plain kills. Elizabeth should arrive today since I've made not to miss it again.

Well, got Jack redressed today. Bugger! That whole 2 belts and sash wrap is tricky to get right -- wrap, loop over one belt, loop another way over the other, then get that short belt under the loop...UGH! I definitely have to redo him on Monday...but I wanted to get a feel for the clothing items before I do some serious FUTZING! Got to get that sash right, not to mention all those trinkets... anyone got any good source photos of how things are arranged on Jack?

Quick pics:

Jackpost2.jpg

Jackpost1.jpg

that sash is a pain in the rear to get right. it just doesn't lay right. i wish they had used different material for it.

Back