Queries about Hot Toys Mark I to VII

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB&WSF

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting Hot Toys Mark I to VII. Would like to get some info from the folks who have idea about them.

I saw the 2.0 version of Mark II, Mark III, and Mark VI. Saw pics and found that Mark II and III are taller than the original Diecast figures. However, didn't find any comparison pic for Mark VI. So, not sure if Mark VI is taller than the first Diecast.

My quick queries:

1) Is it fine to get Mark I, IV, V, VII (and War Machine), or Hot Toys could make a 2.0 for them as well
2) Apart from the height, do you think the 2.0 has correct proportions now (the idea that there is a man in the suit)? Or, it is mostly the height
3) Do you still have any gripe about the Helmet size, etc.? Is there any other thing that HT could have done better in 2.0?

Thanks a lot for all your help! Really, really appreciate it!

IM-Mk-III-2-0.png
[/url]

IM-Mk-II-2-0.png

I think it'll be a while until there is a 2.0 version of the IV, V, and VII. They're not particularly old and still hold up very well to the 2.0's. The Mark I already has a diecast 2.0 version if you did not know.

I doubt that the VI will be taller than than the original, seems to be about the same. Same for the IV since they're just a color swap aside from the arc reactor shape.

The best upgrade they can do is make their Iron Man figures with a usb light up instead of those batteries that are a pain to install.

They did a 2.0 of the Mk2/3 as the first diecast it was a cobbled together shrimp. All the other diecasts were actually new attempts at the suit and were already taller than the plastic ones.

I think it'll be a while until there is a 2.0 version of the IV, V, and VII. They're not particularly old and still hold up very well to the 2.0's. The Mark I already has a diecast 2.0 version if you did not know.

I doubt that the VI will be taller than than the original, seems to be about the same. Same for the IV since they're just a color swap aside from the arc reactor shape.

The best upgrade they can do is make their Iron Man figures with a usb light up instead of those batteries that are a pain to install.

I do have an idea that Mark 1 was done in diecast. I was just wondering if they made a better version after that. A USB light up would actually be an upgrade. Thank you for your insight, Setra94.

As far as height is concerned, it's just the original diecast Mark 2 & 3 that are too short for the 1-7 line up.

Thanks, Gipetto0812. Oh, okay. Back in the day, I had all the initial plastic ones, but never knew this.

They did a 2.0 of the Mk2/3 as the first diecast it was a cobbled together shrimp. All the other diecasts were actually new attempts at the suit and were already taller than the plastic ones.

Thank you, rocbolt.

Thanks, Gipetto0812. Oh, okay. Back in the day, I had all the initial plastic ones, but never knew this.
Happy to help. I’ve had the newest diecast MK3, as well as the diecast versions of the 4, 5, 6 and 7. They were all just about in line with each other so you should be fine if you decide to pursue the 1-7 line up. Just make sure you get the latest versions of the MK2 (PO) and 3 (already released)

Happy to help. I’ve had the newest diecast MK3, as well as the diecast versions of the 4, 5, 6 and 7. They were all just about in line with each other so you should be fine if you decide to pursue the 1-7 line up. Just make sure you get the latest versions of the MK2 (PO) and 3 (already released)
Right.

Do you have any of the 1/4 scale IM, Gipetto0812? Would you say that the overall proportions are better in 1/4 as compared to the 1/6 scale? I have heard discussions where folks have mentioned that 1/4s are just blown up 1/6s and that they could be better.

I can't speak for the Mk3 or 4, but the 42/43/45 QS blew the 1/6 out of the water. It looks like a prop next to a toy. Granted the redone DC 6 and 7s are better 1/6 scale versions than the older 42/43s were, but honestly I still think plastic panels give sharper details than the diecasts anyway

9ze6onA.jpg

I can't speak for the Mk3 or 4, but the 42/43/45 QS blew the 1/6 out of the water. It looks like a prop next to a toy. Granted the redone DC 6 and 7s are better 1/6 scale versions than the older 42/43s were, but honestly I still think plastic panels give sharper details than the diecasts anyway

9ze6onA.jpg
Wow! Thank you for sharing!
A larger scale just naturally makes the details pop-out so much better. The 1/4 looks compact and as if its jumped out of the movie!

I have six or seven of the diecast 1/6 Iron Man figures, and I do enjoy them on the shelf and love the heft of diecast. BUT, for me personally, there is absolutely no contest that the quarter scale figures just blow them out of the water as far as details and overall proportions go. The Mark 3 and Marck IV in particular are just amazing. The bodies just feel more correctly proportioned and there is little to no gapping anywhere on them. In fact I'd say it's still their most accurate Mark 3 out of any scale they've produced.

IMG_4499.JPG

IMG_4231.JPG

I have six or seven of the diecast 1/6 Iron Man figures, and I do enjoy them on the shelf and love the heft of diecast. BUT, for me personally, there is absolutely no contest that the quarter scale figures just blow them out of the water as far as details and overall proportions go. The Mark 3 and Marck IV in particular are just amazing. The bodies just feel more correctly proportioned and there is little to no gapping anywhere on them. In fact I'd say it's still their most accurate Mark 3 out of any scale they've produced.

View attachment 701516

View attachment 701517

He looks amazing in those pics, Rory! I went through the respective threads for Mark III, IV, and the upcoming VI and read the comments. Some people do not feel that there is any enhancement, and that they just look like a blown up version of their 1/6 scale. The helmet was found to be undersized too by some. But honestly, they look great in your pics. As always, a lot has to do with the angle of the pic and how we pose a figure, I believe. I just saw today a BN Mark IV go for $336!

I think the fact that people see little difference between the scales has more to do with how well HT captures details in 1/6 scale these days. They want to see new details in the larger scale, but there aren’t any new details left that aren’t already on the 1/6 version.

The benefit of the 1/4 Mark III and IV (having them in both scales) is that everything is much better proportioned on the 1/4, the details are better sculpted, and the figure poses better. There are no goofy gaps around the shoulders, torso and hips. And the paint finishes are, at least at this date, more film accurate with the Mark IV having a more satin metal finish compared to the 1/6 high gloss.

As for head size, I don’t know what they’re talking about. All the 1/4 scale Iron Men seem to have correctly scaled and well proportioned heads. I’ve never looked at mine and felt they were too large or too small.

I’ll post a comparison shot this morning.

He looks amazing in those pics, Rory! I went through the respective threads for Mark III, IV, and the upcoming VI and read the comments. Some people do not feel that there is any enhancement, and that they just look like a blown up version of their 1/6 scale. The helmet was found to be undersized too by some. But honestly, they look great in your pics. As always, a lot has to do with the angle of the pic and how we pose a figure, I believe. I just saw today a BN Mark IV go for $336!

Here's a quick side by side of the 1/6 Mark VI (I don't want to unpack my IV) and the 1/4 Mark IV. It's difficult to get exact perspective and angles etc. given their different scales, but it's close enough to make some comparisons. Proportionally, the 1/6 head is a tad larger and sits higher. But to me it looks too long and slim and not chunky enough. Likewise, the 1/4 does away with all the weird gaps in the thigh/groin/hips and you get a nice believable transition. Same thing around the neck, where the 1/6 has noticeable gaps between the armor and his neck/head, the 1/4 has a more accurate joint with less see-through gaps. Small differences throughout just result in a chunkier beefier looking physique. And then the biggest difference, the paint. The 1/4 has more satin film accurate finish, while the current 1/6 figure opts for Hot Toy's go-to glossy candy apple red. Don't get me wrong, the 1/6 is among their best Iron Man offerings and they are both fantastic collectibles. I just subjectively prefer almost every aspect of the 1/4 version.

aswedfrgh.jpg

Here's a quick side by side of the 1/6 Mark VI (I don't want to unpack my IV) and the 1/4 Mark IV. It's difficult to get exact perspective and angles etc. given their different scales, but it's close enough to make some comparisons. Proportionally, the 1/6 head is a tad larger and sits higher. But to me it looks too long and slim and not chunky enough. Likewise, the 1/4 does away with all the weird gaps in the thigh/groin/hips and you get a nice believable transition. Same thing around the neck, where the 1/6 has noticeable gaps between the armor and his neck/head, the 1/4 has a more accurate joint with less see-through gaps. Small differences throughout just result in a chunkier beefier looking physique. And then the biggest difference, the paint. The 1/4 has more satin film accurate finish, while the current 1/6 figure opts for Hot Toy's go-to glossy candy apple red. Don't get me wrong, the 1/6 is among their best Iron Man offerings and they are both fantastic collectibles. I just subjectively prefer almost every aspect of the 1/4 version.

View attachment 701643

Thanks a lot for all the insight and pics, Rory! Really appreciate it. I am convinced that 1/4 is definitively an upgrade, and not just in size.

I took a quick screen grab from the movie and compared it with Mark IV. The helmet does look like it can be bigger. Also, the girth of his chest and waist could be bigger too (or is it the lighting on HT Mk IV?).

Having said that, I feel that the HT 1/4 has pretty good proportions. Beyond this, if I want a suit that looks like it has literally jumped out from the movie, I will have to go for Sideshow LSF line. :)

Thanks a lot for all the insight and pics, Rory! Really appreciate it. I am convinced that 1/4 is definitively an upgrade, and not just in size.

I took a quick screen grab from the movie and compared it with Mark IV. The helmet does look like it can be bigger. Also, the girth of his chest and waist could be bigger too (or is it the lighting on HT Mk IV?).

Having said that, I feel that the HT 1/4 has pretty good proportions. Beyond this, if I want a suit that looks like it has literally jumped out from the movie, I will have to go for Sideshow LSF line. :)
It's a trade off really. Sideshow's sculpts are more accurate, but their paintwork is really crude and sloppy by comparison to Hot Toys, which has less accurate proportions but are finished far more intricately and painted with precision.

Back