Retro Style Six Million Dollar Man Action Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZICA

Freakzoid
Reaction score
New from ZICA Toys, The Six Million Dollar Man retro style action figures! Get ready to travel back to 1974 and relive the adventures of the world’s first bionic man. Sculpted in 3.75” scale, these harken back to the heyday of action figures, when the designs were simple and the fun factor was off the charts!

Assortment 1 includes Colonel Steve Austin (red tracksuit) and Bionic Bigfoot. ZICA Toys has big plans for this line and is hopeful that vehicles and playsets will eventually be available. Variants and exclusives are also planned but rest assured that everyone will have a fair opportunity to get them. Preorders are expected to begin soon so keep checking your favorite online retailer for more info.

SMDMPressRelease_zpsbd5b21e4.jpg

Ahh, I get that Venture Bros joke now. I never understood why that guy was hanging out with Sasquatch.

Figures getting smaller and smaller with less articulation? I know Kenner had the license back in the day but I'd go with Mego articulation from the Dukes/Buck Rogers?Black Hole days. Or better yet, true 1:6 versions would sell pretty well I'd venture to say.

I know! Why won't anyone do a 1:6 version of them! I'd buy them in a second!

These are "cute" though. I'm a huge 6mdm fan, so ill keep my eye out for these.

To much articulation for a true retro. Take those knee joints out

Knee joints are there for some future proposed playsets. There were vintage figures with knee joints like Butch and Sundance.

To me, these are perfect. Wishing for different scales is missing the point of what Zica is doing. Biff Bang Pow tried to do 8" Mego style figures, and IMO they didn't quite nail the retro look. These do.

If you want 12 inch 6MDM figures, there are plenty of vintage ones that can be found MISB for a fraction of Hot Toys prices.

These are love letters to Kenner, and righting a vintage missed opportunity, much like Super 7's ALIEN figures.

I will be supporting this line, and I'm not even a big fan of 6MDM, but I like to see toy companies that finally "get it". These guys would look great hanging in the Vintage Cantina, and you can finally have Bigfoot fight your vintage Chewbacca.

This line is full of win, and deserves collector support.:clap

I'll give you that Zica "gets it" with the style of figure, and I appreciate that. But as a 6MDM fan, I would love someone to do a "modern" 1:6 version of the figures, meaning using all the current technologies and materials to render the vintage figure. You are correct--the vintage 13" figures are everywhere on ebay, and I have several myself. The vintage bug can very easily be satisfied. What can't be satisfied is my need (and perhaps others) for a fully articulated figure with a kick-butt headsculpt of Steve Austin and lots of fun accessories and perhaps an alternate outfit or two (like his tan safari leisure suit).

Anyway, these figures are fun, and I look forward to seeing how the line expands. I have fond memories of the original playsets and I think it would be loads of fun to see them again. I can see this size being more successful in that respect since 1:6 playsets take up an awful lot of room. 3 3/4 scale would be perfect for playsets.

Knee joints are there for some future proposed playsets. There were vintage figures with knee joints like Butch and Sundance.

To me, these are perfect. Wishing for different scales is missing the point of what Zica is doing. Biff Bang Pow tried to do 8" Mego style figures, and IMO they didn't quite nail the retro look. These do.

If you want 12 inch 6MDM figures, there are plenty of vintage ones that can be found MISB for a fraction of Hot Toys prices.

These are love letters to Kenner, and righting a vintage missed opportunity, much like Super 7's ALIEN figures.

I will be supporting this line, and I'm not even a big fan of 6MDM, but I like to see toy companies that finally "get it". These guys would look great hanging in the Vintage Cantina, and you can finally have Bigfoot fight your vintage Chewbacca.

This line is full of win, and deserves collector support.:clap

First, there are NO vintage 12"/1:6 6MDM figures. Kenner dropped the ball and. like the recent DC Direct super heroes made their figures in the 13" range.

Second, I was very impressed by ZICA's first foray into Mego scale figures. Their attention to detail and the likenesses were off the chart. These look like nothing I would expect from ZICA. I get the idea, they're trying to look retro, but I always liked the Mego 3.75 figures that had the articulation. The CHiP's figures, Buck Rogers, Dukes...etc. And, for that scale, Mego's likenesses weren't all that bad. A decent array of 3.75 figures could have me hooked, but this isn't it. An old leftover figure and some red paint could just as easily be Steve Austin.

I'll buy these for sure.

I'd also love to see some in 1:6 :clap

I'm ALL over these. Bring on Maskatron, Oscar Goldman and the Venus Space Probe. It would be cool though if Zica makes repro vintage 13" Kenner figures.

Looks interesting.

I wish the appearance, articulation, & design were more in line with the current 1:18 line of GI JOE figures (closer to 4" instead of 3.75").

It would be cool though if Zica makes repro vintage 13" Kenner figures.

Are you thinking of an exact duplicate of the original? Because you can still find plenty of original figures in pretty good to mint condition out there.

Like I said before, I'd love it if someone like HT or Enterbay or anyone would do a high end version of Steve.

I'm ALL over these. Bring on Maskatron, Oscar Goldman and the Venus Space Probe. It would be cool though if Zica makes repro vintage 13" Kenner figures.

At that scale, they'd probably all look alike. :monkey3

Repro 13? Why? The only void to fill for 6MDM is in the true 1:6 area.

Are you thinking of an exact duplicate of the original? Because you can still find plenty of original figures in pretty good to mint condition out there.

Like I said before, I'd love it if someone like HT or Enterbay or anyone would do a high end version of Steve.

I own several original Kenner SMDM figures but it would make not only an economical alternative for some to own a repro at a fraction of the cost, but also an opportunity to expand my existing collection.

I own several original Kenner SMDM figures but it would make not only an economical alternative for some to own a repro at a fraction of the cost, but also an opportunity to expand my existing collection.

As do I, but retro figures would not peak my interest, despite having the originals and/or being a huge fan of the show. They do not fit in with the rest of my collection of 1:6 figures.
Please, someone, make true 1:6 Six Million Dollar Man figures!

I dig 'em... they did a great job capturing the vintage look w/o it coming off as inauthentic. Can't say if I'd buy any, but I respect the idea.

First, there are NO vintage 12"/1:6 6MDM figures. Kenner dropped the ball and. like the recent DC Direct super heroes made their figures in the 13" range.

Second, I was very impressed by ZICA's first foray into Mego scale figures. Their attention to detail and the likenesses were off the chart. These look like nothing I would expect from ZICA. I get the idea, they're trying to look retro, but I always liked the Mego 3.75 figures that had the articulation. The CHiP's figures, Buck Rogers, Dukes...etc. And, for that scale, Mego's likenesses weren't all that bad. A decent array of 3.75 figures could have me hooked, but this isn't it. An old leftover figure and some red paint could just as easily be Steve Austin.

Zica is known for Megolike properties, but that is not their intention here. The intent, as I see it, is to honor the Kenner aesthetic, because that is who had the 6MDM license originally. You have to stop comparing this to Mego style 3.75, because they are apples and oranges. Yes, Zica's Mego style 8 inch figures had a unique updating of th 8 inch format, but hey are trying something new here. Think Kenner, not Mego.

Frankly, I'm baffled at the number of complaints about what these aren't, rather than praising them for what they actually are.:slap

But what they are isn't much.
No offense, I think ZICA had a great start, but was there even anyone asking for these?
I've seen many requests over the years for 1:6 versions, and am well aware that ZICA doesn't want to throw their hat in that ring, but this seems..... cheap. A quick way to make a buck without really needing much in the artistic area. Body offers next to no articulation which means less parts, less pieces, less costs for molding and the likenesses and detail that ZICA was known for are thrown to the wayside. It doesn't really "honor the Kenner aesthetic" either because even the oversized 6MDM [except Bigfoot] had more articulation than these. If you're referring to the Kenner Star Wars figures, these ain't them. The Star Wars figures sold because every kid fell in love with Star Wars and all the playsets, etc...
There's no Star Wars sized audience clamoring for antique styled 6MDM 3.75 inch figures. I wish them well, but I still think they would do better in 1:6.

I think they are FAN EFFING TASTIC! I am more excited about these and the Alien retro figs than ANYTHING else coming out.

Ironman, having high-end 1:6 SMDM figures would be neat, but not too many out there would pony up the expense to buy them and they are only going to appeal to a very small niche and frankly my interest in 1:6 is declining because they are getting ridiculously overpriced. To me, there is something just far more appealing on the nostalgia factor now for collecting retro and vintage "toys" from my childhood than the stuff that passes for "high-end" nowadays. For the cost of most 1:6 figures now you can buy some really nice vintage toys MIB. Even a vintage SMDM MIB can be had for less than a new 1:6 figure from Hot Toys.

Last edited:
But what they are isn't much.
No offense, I think ZICA had a great start, but was there even anyone asking for these?
I've seen many requests over the years for 1:6 versions,
and am well aware that ZICA doesn't want to throw their hat in that ring, but this seems..... cheap. A quick way to make a buck without really needing much in the artistic area. Body offers next to no articulation which means less parts, less pieces, less costs for molding and the likenesses and detail that ZICA was known for are thrown to the wayside. It doesn't really "honor the Kenner aesthetic" either because even the oversized 6MDM [except Bigfoot] had more articulation than these. If you're referring to the Kenner Star Wars figures, these ain't them. The Star Wars figures sold because every kid fell in love with Star Wars and all the playsets, etc...
There's no Star Wars sized audience clamoring for antique styled 6MDM 3.75 inch figures. I wish them well, but I still think they would do better in 1:6.

That's the point. Sadly it's almost as if every other format is being done for Steve EXCEPT the 1:6 format. Just frustrating! :gah:

Back