Return of the Jedi Missing Lightsaber Scene

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I see you have constructed a new lightsaber." hit the 1:50 mark
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/zH_gIHeMH0E?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/zH_gIHeMH0E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Offtopic, to this day those mattpaintings look awesome. The landing of the Y-Wing, the walking of the AT-AT. It looks more real than the prequel.

ontopic, awesome scene. It almost looks like he's ready to have some revenge, such an evil look (hence the old title, Revenge of the Jedi)

If i'm not mistaken, for some reason i feel a boost in testosterone from this scene. It just reeks of badass!

Last edited:
It's amazing to see a scene like this after so many years. Also funny to hear the nerds go wild while watching it.

I watched ROTS today and I noted that when Mace goes to arrest Palpatine and Anakin stays behind Lord Sidious' voice is in Anakin's mind and the way it's shown it could be taken as a remembered conversation but linked with this scene it's both Sith lords reaching out and trying to work their way into their target's mind...

I think it adds a great deal to have the obsession of Vader in converting his son but also the continual assault on Luke's senses-- the devil whispering in his ear about the power offered by the dark side. Sure, we're all used to how the original came out (and it makes the most sense) but I'd definitely like this scene added (and I too hope they show the sandstorm scene in the Blu Ray deleted section).

this scene is very nice, nostalgic and cool in many ways, however i still can not see the connection between the long lost Elstree Studios prop and the EFX Luke ROTJ reveal which is supposed to be released this year. In the scene we do not see Luke open the lightsaber, extend the inner pieces etc and then lock it back. So there is no visual proof the efx reveal saber is based on a prop that was made for this scene.. i am kinda confused on this... I would even take it a step further and claim Lucas actually decided to put this on the blu-ray to boost the efx saber sales since efx got the authorisation to do this replica from Lucas Licensing.

this scene is very nice, nostalgic and cool in many ways, however i still can not see the connection between the long lost Elstree Studios prop and the EFX Luke ROTJ reveal which is supposed to be released this year. In the scene we do not see Luke open the lightsaber, extend the inner pieces etc and then lock it back. So there is no visual proof the efx reveal saber is based on a prop that was made for this scene.. i am kinda confused on this... I would even take it a step further and claim Lucas actually decided to put this on the blu-ray to boost the efx saber sales since efx got the authorisation to do this replica from Lucas Licensing.

It's not long lost. There are plenty of pictures of it online. And while you only see the control box open in that scene, the real prop does open like the ef/x version.

A very forgettable scene. And the crowd's overinflated reaction...wow, a little ridiculous.

Yeah, Luke's entire look seems deliberate to set up an eventual turn to the dark side.

I wouldn't say that, but I do think they set it up that way to make it unclear to the audience what was going on with Luke. It's possible for the audience to think that Luke has turned to the dark side between ESB and ROJ (or is at least considering it). So in that sense it's a lot bigger deal than just "Luke constructs his lightsaber."

If you look at the Jabba's palace scenes after this scene, you don't really know what Luke has in mind. After all, you've got him giving the droids to Jabba (!) and trying to strike a deal with him (!!). It's not until he grabs the guard's blaster and he's sent into the rancor pit that we're sure he's still the old Luke we know and love.

Offtopic, to this day those mattpaintings look awesome. The landing of the Y-Wing, the walking of the AT-AT. It looks more real than the prequel.

ontopic, awesome scene. It almost looks like he's ready to have some revenge, such an evil look (hence the old title, Revenge of the Jedi)

Y wing?

you mean the Imperial Shuttle Craft?

:lol

I really like this scene. It shows how much Luke is being tempted by the Dark Side and it might have had people wondering if he was really going to turn later.

the vader portion is alright, the Luke tinkering with the sabre looks rather unrehearsed, like "here's a screwdriver, stick it in the hole." Not really sure what else they could have done with it, but it just looked awkward. Perhaps if he used the force to adjust something and they cut close up of something moving in the hilt it would have been cool. But a Jedi with a screwdriver is sorta silly.

"spinetingling"? :lol ...you guys are pushing it.

HOLY CRAP! so awesome!! damn u lucas!! better include all these missing scenes in future blu ray or dvd releases!!
Lukes a maniac! That lightsaber sound gave me goosbumps in a way the prequels never did....

Wow the level of fanboy over-enthusiasm is magnificent. :clap

It is a simple deleted scene and unless the original Han-Greedo scene is restored it means ____.

Wow the level of fanboy over-enthusiasm is magnificent. :clap

It is a simple deleted scene and unless the original Han-Greedo scene is restored it means ____.

While it would be easy to simply dismiss your statement, I will simply have to agree with you.

While technically one has nothing to do with the other, there is something about your statement which resonated with me at a global level.

While there are many added or changed scenes to the SE that bug me, Han shooting first really did me in!

I've learned to live with all the changes (Anakin's ghost, silly musical number, Han stepping on Jabba's tail, muted music during x-wing dive onto death star, and the list goes on) and some I even appreciated (cleaning of matte lines, celebration scene, vader's shuttle) but I've lost all desire to watch any of them because of how Han's character was changed (assasinated more like it) by him shooting first! I mean c'mon, Greedo is right in front of him and Lucas expects us to believe he missed!

____ that ____, fix it already!

Last edited:
The tone of the scene really is awesome. A big part of me wants it inserted into a ROTJ: Extended Edition. Lots of added scenes to the LOTR:EE's spoiled other scenes that came later in those films and very few people seemed to mind.

However I do agree with this:

the vader portion is alright, the Luke tinkering with the sabre looks rather unrehearsed, like "here's a screwdriver, stick it in the hole."

Luke looks awesome, but its almost like his scene begins a few seconds before they yelled "action," and he takes a moment to get in character, then improvs some saber tinkering. It'll be interesting to see how it plays on the blu-ray.

Back